Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back old Website

Options
  • 08-09-2006 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

This is probably a very stupid question but I have no idea what i'm doing so i'll ask anyway.

I have an old old website I put up six years ago when I was in school using frontpage (i think). Its still up on the web but two computers later I have nothing left of it on my computer and I have no idea how to access it.

It was put up on space provided by esatclear.ie but they no longer exist so I can't ask for their help. I think I can probably work out the username/password for the website but its been so long since i messed with web publishing I can't even remember how to log on to the server.

Do i need to get frontpage or some other program? What exactly do I need to know to get access to the site and edit it? Any help, preferably very basic would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Is the website accessible from a browser?
    If so you can simply save the items via the browser (File, Save As should get most stuff).
    If not, I'd say you are out luck.

Since it is 6 years old, is there really stuff there you want/need?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭marcphisto

I assume that you have no ftp access so if you really need the site contents try using a site downloader like WinHTTrack.

You can get it here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

wget -m can handy for this, if you have access to a Linux/BSD box

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ivorystraws

Try Warrick: a command-line utility for reconstructing or recovering a website when a back-up is not available.
    http://www.cs.odu.edu/~fmccown/research/lazy/warrick.html

Advertisement