Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

flying spagetti monster

• 08-09-2006 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

I have heard of a theory about the origin of life and its development on earth that posits a paranormal/supranatural creator.

http://www.venganza.org/

Any opinions or sittings of said creature?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Old news and Science not Paranomal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Do you ever hang out at P45rant, that thing gets mentioned alot there.

From that link:
    News Flash --- The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has been nominated for the 2006 Quill Awards in the Humor category!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

cavedave wrote:
    Any opinions or sittings of said creature?

I saw it sitting on the Recycle Bin a while ago...maybe it should go back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Bah, tbh I've never really liked the FSM theory, totally devoid of any humour or imagination. The Great Green Arkleseizure Theory however, now there's a creation myth crazy enough to be worth believing in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

The flying spagettii monster is a belief and one outside the normal. Moving the topic to sciece was in breech of the rules of the paranormal forum.
    1 ALL belief in the paranormal will be respected.

• Advertisement

I accept that the spagetti monster thing was taken by the paranormal mods as a blatant wind up so I will accept the mods judgement to move the thread and stop talking about it now.
    Still if you have any paranormal beliefs "Shania Twain has a wooden leg" or some such that fall outside the normal realm of paranormal it would be interesting to see if they are open to discussion int he paranormal section.

So you are interested in test the limits of the Forum as opposed to talking about stuff on it? And you want people to make up topics such as the Shania Twain one just so you can see whats allowed?

"If" thats the case then you (iom) would be a waste of space on there.

No i do not wish for people to make up topics just to annoy the paranormal group or indeed any other group. That would be stupid.

I sincerely believed the flying spagetti monster was a subject worthy of paranormal discussion.
    Did I have complete faith in it? No. But as Jesus said you do not need to have complete faith in something
    He said to them, "Because of your unbelief. For most certainly I tell you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will tell this mountain,'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.

Scientists do believe in things with no rational basis look at edge.org for a discussion "things i belive but cannot prove" I was merely pointing out that the paranormal discussion may be a good place to mention these beliefs.
    you are interested in test the limits of the Forum
    meta tests of the system you are working in is an essential part of science. To take one example Feynmann in Los Alamos tested the letter censors rules, the gaurd fence, the locks on the secret documents and pretty much everything else.

Scientists test things they try figure out how they work.

You are focusing on the "Paranormal Forum" as opposed to any topics themselves. You pretty much said you chose FSM to see if it would be allowed and then said:
    Still if you have any paranormal beliefs "Shania Twain has a wooden leg" or some such that fall outside the normal realm of paranormal it would be interesting to see if they are open to discussion int he paranormal section.

You are suggesting people test the limits, if you've a problem with the forum take it up with mods. If you want to look at paranormal topics from a purely scientific stance then do it in the science forum.

• Advertisement

You are suggesting people test the limits, if you've a problem with the forum take it up with mods. If you want to look at paranormal topics from a purely scientific stance then do it in the science forum.
    No I am suggesting people discuss things that are paranormal on the paranormal group. I have no problem with the forum.
    I have tried to discuss the epistemology of the paranormal in the science section and the topic got moved to the paranormal section.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But FSM is just another monoathestic religion from a scientific view point. So as far as positive proofs and most theories go it's just a variation on a theme rather than a new explanation of life that's seems better than evolution.

Unfortunatly pastafarinaism by the nature of it's deity might cause problems for evolution.

About 1% of New Zealand claim in a census to follow the Jedi religion. This seems far more promising or at least more provable as any Jedi special powers could be demonstratable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia for another theory of life arriving here

best to check with the kansas state education board for other equally valid beliefs , maybe they can have some proof as to which ones work/don't !

Advertisement