Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2001 Opel Astra (again)

Options
  • 08-09-2006 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Right so, I'm probably going to buy one of these. I'd prefer the 1.4 16v or Sport but might consider the 1.6.

Can anyone recommend a good dealer?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Evil Phil wrote:
    Right so, I'm probably going to buy one of these. I'd prefer the 1.4 16v or Sport but might consider the 1.6.

Can anyone recommend a good dealer?

Your local Opel dealer perhaps? ;)

Depends on what you want. For peace of mind, a main dealer will probably offer you the best warranty but will charge you for the privilege. A trader (i.e. a dealer not tied to a particular marque) will be a bit cheaper, but probably will give you a 3-month warranty on a 5 year old car.

Alternatively, buy privately, and bring someone who knows about cars along. There's hundreds of Astras to choose from, and you'll get one a lot cheaper privately than in a dealer. This is assuming you are buying with cash and not trading in.

The usual stuff applies - look for a 1 owner car preferably, avoid the 3, 4, 5 or more owner cars. Look for service history and receipts. Timing belt and water pump should have been replaced at least once on an '01, get evidence of that. Look at general condition, outside and inside. There's no reason why an '01 should be in any less than excellent condition, if it isn't then walk.

It's a buyers market for '01 Astras, bargain hard for the right car. Good luck.

Advertisement