Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commission for Energy Regulation delivers a kick in the balls to the consumer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

partholon wrote:
    we're an island nation with territorial waters four times the size on the island.

we should be seeding a quater of that with enough 1 meg wave power generators for every man woman and child on the island and flogging the surplus to europe . honestly the rest of europe would kill for our natural resources, the only place with more energy in its sea is off the northern tip of antartica!. we dont have a lack of power in this county, just imagination and will in our politicians to exploit it. for gods sake the guy who invented this type of wave generator is an irish guy and the gov wont back him. poor fecker is having to go to the danes for investment:rolleyes:
    I agree, we should put all our eggs into one experimental basket, it's bound to work.

We have to vote the government out. There are all these 'magic pill' solutions to the countries problems which they're ignoring for no well defined reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

partholon wrote:
    as to nuclear, dont make me laugh. the island has a popultion less than manchester. we dont need that much power. particularly considering we're an island nation with territorial waters four times the size on the island.
    Nuclear power, in addition to being safe, clean, almost CO2 emissions free, reliable and strategically secure, is also very scalable.

Conventional reactors go as low as 600 MegaWatts. What's more, Toshiba's come out with a nice little "micro-nuke" of 10 MegaWatts that can more or less be used anywhere.

BTW if you haven't done so, you should look at the EirGrid Portal. Our national power demand ranges wildly from 2 GigaWatts in Summer nighttimes, to 4.5 GigaWatts in winter. There's more than enough scope to add a GW or two of safe, clean, nuclear power, in addition to renewables, biofuels etc.

Also, wind plant output varies dramatically from time to time.
    So gandalf when your local weasel calls around you should say. "I want a nuclear power station".
    I am actually half-tempted to do this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bump for a drop!

You have no doubt noticed the prices for oil (and gas) have fallen steadily in recent weeks, oil is trading at 63 dollars from a high of about $77 while gas is also down. If this trend continues I look foward to prices charged by ESB and Bord Gas to drop next spring (yeah right!).

edit. Just checked it looks like prices are reviewed only once a year! :(

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

And reviewed upwards only. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Remember it when the Government candidates come crawling to your door next year.

• Advertisement

The commisoner is on RTE radio 1 right now.

Mike.

Bump for an investigation by the Competition Authority

from examiner
    25/10/2006 - 11:55:10 AM

Competition body to probe electricity and gas price rises

The Competition Authority is to investigate Ireland's soaring electricity and gas prices.

Bord Gais introduced a 34% price hike for consumers at the beginning of October, while ESB prices are also set to go up in January.

The Competition Authority plans to publish a consultation paper on the issue before December.

Mike.

Advertisement