Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Named driver insurance

Options
  • 08-09-2006 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I want to insure myself on my father's car, it is cheaper for 18 y.o. with provisional licence (1K versus 2K). Will my father be able to get a second car for himself and insure it on his name using his no claim discounts second time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

have a read of this:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Paul_D wrote:
    I want to insure myself on my father's car, it is cheaper for 18 y.o. with provisional licence (1K versus 2K). Will my father be able to get a second car for himself and insure it on his name using his no claim discounts second time?

In a nutshell the answer is no. Your father can buy a second car but his NCB can only be used on one policy. Therefore the cost of insurance on the second car for him will be expensive without a NCB.

The other factor that needs to be taken into account which alot of people don't realise is that if you as the named driver are responsible for an accident or a claim is made against you while driving his first car then it is his full NCB will be lost as he is the policy holder. So he looses out again.

To be honest going by what some young people are quoting what they are paying for insurance on here €2k does not seem relatively expensive for an 18 year old male with a provisional licence. Having your own policy will also help you get cheaper insurance in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Dunno would this work but when bazz26 said "The other factor that needs to be taken into account which alot of people don't realise is that if you as the named driver are responsible for an accident or a claim is made against you while driving his first car then it is his full NCB will be lost as he is the policy holder" could he not transfere the NCB onto car 2 and insure Paul D under car one with no NCD? Has to be cheaper because of law of only 1 driving car at time so reduced accident time? I dont really get this whole insurance maloraky so please inform. Interested in this too cause still cant get a quote below 2600 on a 318CI BMW 95 on my own and its bit saucy for a 2year NDE, 19 Male, Full Licence, No Pen Points etc...

Advertisement