Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking chips - What temperature?

• 08-09-2006 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭

We recently replaced our old single-temperature deep fat fryer with a new one with temperature controls etc.
    This has opened the door to some new experiments in chip-cooking.
    I drop them down for 5 minutes at 190 degrees then leave them hanging for another few minutes before dropping them on the plate... other members of the household use longer times at lower temperatures, the output of which resembles that of our old deepfryer.

I find the 5@190 setting gives fantastic results... like chips from a really good chipper.

So what's your magic number? (or do you have one?!)

Not exactly adventurous cooking I know ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It has been so long since I used a deep fryer for chips, I just use the baking tray and put them in the oven these days. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

What i do is cook them for about 7ish minutes at a lower temperature (~130) then take them out and let them sit while I whap the temperature up to 190, when the oil is hot enough thrun them back in and let them crisp for 2-3 mins. Perfect chips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Yep - cook 'em through on a low-med setting (130-150), and finish them on high (170+).

The other thing is the choice of oil. I use coconut oil, which I find great. No problem at the highest temps, isn't greasy and seems to resist picking up flavours from the food it cooks quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have seen that "science" cookery program starting low too, and Gary Rhodes starting at 100C. Many think they are being stung since most chippers cook this way too. Par cook them at low temp and let them cool. Most people think they are getting "reheats".

Advertisement