Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NYC Bargains

• 08-09-2006 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend brands that can be picked up at good prices in NY? Or any other shopping tips...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Sheera

Its definitely worth making a day trip to one of the outlet malls - Woodbury Common or Jersey Gardens. You can get a list of their stores here:
    http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7
    http://www.jerseygardens.com/

If you want to stay in the city it might be worth checking out Century 21 - its good for bags, underwear, luggage & accessories but not much good for womens' clothes I find.

'Guess' stuff is about half the price it is here - even in their normal full-price stores.

If you're after fake designer handbags head to Canal Street and allow yourself to be lead by one of the women chanting 'Prada, Gucci, Louis Vuitton' on the street corners ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

don't buy any fakes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Century 21 is great, Woodbury is worth visiting, but allocate a full day; the service is so slow. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Chinatown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I was out there last year and in fact am heading out again this December. I went to Jersey Gardens and it was quite good. I bought a fair bit of stuff there but nothing compared to some of the other girls there who had to get a huge shopping trolly to carry their stuff around! If you head to Soho there are some pretty unusual shops that have nice quirky stuff that isn't too expensive. You can always go to Maceys too as the Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger stuff is way cheaper than it is here in Ireland. With the exchange rate as it is now you're going to get stuff cheaper anyway.
    Enjoy your trip, when are you going?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Buy the Daily News and NY Post while you're there - Macy's tend to run one day sales and print coupons in the papers, so you could get something for like half price in the sale, and then use the coupon (which you can use for the whole day, not just for 1 transaction) and get another 30% off on top of it. I bought some sportswear, team jerseys and so forth for eight dollars each!

Also have a look to see which department stores are doing "gift with purchase" deals for cosmetics/perfume, sometimes you only have to buy 1 product to get the free gift (here you have to buy two).

Around Thanksgiving, in November, the huge sales start. Old Navy & Gap in particular run extremely good deals. The Friday after Thanksgiving is known as "Black Friday" because the shopping malls get so crowded - but if you're realy desperate for a good bargain it might be worth braving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

http://www.filenesbasement.com/

Few of these stores in NYC, i went to one near union square. Kinda like a TK Maxx outlet and some great bargains.

If you go to the visitors desk in macy's and show your Irish passport,you will get a voucher card that entitles you to buy anything there tax free,thats about 11% off-even the sale items.

Woodbury is great but an hours drive north.If you dont have the time for that,go to Jersey gardens,its do able by train as its near and right beside newark airport.I was there,this year and its big and cheaper than woodbury.

That said the gap store in woodbury was selling jeans for less than $10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭fasterkitten

Thanks everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Payless shoe source. I got a couple of pairs of nice heels for around 10dollars each. Nice stuff there.

Tbh, Macys is too big for me to shop though it did have some lovely stuff there - not particularly cheap.

Have fun in New York - I've only been there once, this summer, for 4 days but I am in love with it! Amazing city!

Oh and Century21 is alright as well I didnt buy much there though. If I remember correctly it's quite near Ground Zero so you should check it out anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I'm going there in October and already feeling ever so slighty wretchy with excitement!:) :):):):):):):):):) A friend of mine told me before that there is a HUGE shop with something like 700,000 pairs of shoes (paradise!!). Does this ring any bells with anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭watersprings

For the best of New York shopping, I would recommend picking up "So New York" by Angela Phelan. This is the bible of all things NYC... it literally has all the secret nooks which only the locals know about... It goes through all sorts from fashion to beauty!

Best of luck!
    x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Miss Fluff wrote:
    told me before that there is a HUGE shop with something like 700,000 pairs of shoes (paradise!!). Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Never heard of it, but 8th st between broadway and 6th is "shoe street".

we found a shop called Shoegasm when we were there. Its kinda summed up my wife's frame of mind when there. :D
    vibrant wrote:
    Never heard of it, but 8th st between broadway and 6th is "shoe street".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Miss Fluff wrote:
    I'm going there in October and already feeling ever so slighty wretchy with excitement!:) :):):):):):):):):) A friend of mine told me before that there is a HUGE shop with something like 700,000 pairs of shoes (paradise!!). Does this ring any bells with anyone?

I'm heading in early november so when you come back you have to tell me everything!!

I am saving every last cent cos I plan on doing a sh*tload of shopping! I havent shopped over here in at least 6 months so you can imagine what I am going through!!! Counting down the days!

Shoegasim sounds perfect for me!!

Oh forgot to ask something very important!!

Is there any way I can use my hairdryer and straightner over in NY. I was told that because the voltage is completely different that I wouldnt be able to use them :eek: . Have to find a way around this!

Most hotels will provide plug adapters...
    d-redser wrote:

Is there any way I can use my hairdryer and straightner over in NY. I was told that because the voltage is completely different that I wouldnt be able to use them :eek: . Have to find a way around this!

stovelid wrote:
    Most hotels will provide plug adapters...

I have adaptors for the plug sockets but the voltage is completley different, as in the amount of electricity running through an applicance varies from country to country and I was told that because america's is so week our electrical appliances such as hairdryers wont be compatible?

You probably need something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/110-240-Voltage-Converter-Step-Up-Transformer-45W_W0QQitemZ320029501298QQihZ011QQcategoryZ14968QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Failing that you could just go curly or else treat yourself to a new hairdryer and straigtener over there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

d-redser wrote:

The voltage is completely different! Much lower. For stuff like phone chargers, all you need is an adapter which you can buy over there or in ireland. For hair dryers/hair straighteners..normal ones don't work. I had to borrow my friends 'american' hairdryer which was set to the right voltage. I think you can buy special adaptors which have switches on them to change the voltage but I'm not really sure! GO CURLY FOR AMERICA!!!

• Advertisement

GO CURLY FOR AMERICA!!!

Thats not a nice image for me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

This is pretty much the exact thread I was going to start, I'm thinking of heading over just after New year for a week of seeing the sights, but more importantly, shopping. Black Friday is the worst day of the year congestion wise, but has anybody any info on January sales over therre - are they wedged with people, or do they make a big deal of it at all? Cheers,
    WP.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Sheera

d-redser wrote:

I brought my GHD with me and just used a normal plug adaptor. It took way longer than usual to heat up but worked fine when it did :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

January sales are excellent! Best time of the year if you can handle the cold. Tends to be very windy when you come to the side of a block. Can be very cold and can have snowstorms. I like all that too though, lots of places to stop and thaw out.
    Been to both Jersey gardens and woodbury common, I preferred Jersey gardens, closer to NYC, cheaper to get to/from and it's massive and all in-doors. Woodybury common will take the best part of a full day, it's shop-lets ie, all out doors and you go from one to the next, this is a pain in January when you are wrapped up from the cold and blasted with the heat to frequently.
    Electronics are less expensive but avoid the times square neon lit electronics stores, these guys are very very smooth and you can convince you to part with your cash all too quickly. Check J&R for great gadgets and deals, Macy's for a great sale with additional discount as mentioned, and Jersey gardens for tax free shopping, shoes, clothes and one or two electronic places too.
    Cheerio
    Howard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

That's just the kind of info I'm looking for, you can't find stuff like this on the official websites, cheers. Also, are there any outlet stores for watersports apparel at all? Looking for some kayaking gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭fasterkitten

i'm getting so excited now!!!! anyone recommend brands eg kiehl's, GAP that are good and cheap(er) in NY?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Guv

Tristrame wrote:
    If you go to the visitors desk in macy's and show your Irish passport,you will get a voucher card that entitles you to buy anything there tax free,thats about 11% off-even the sale items.

Woodbury is great but an hours drive north.If you dont have the time for that,go to Jersey gardens,its do able by train as its near and right beside newark airport.I was there,this year and its big and cheaper than woodbury.

That said the gap store in woodbury was selling jeans for less than $10

That's very good information to have. Cheers Tristame!

Advertisement