Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gas boiler????

Options
  • 08-09-2006 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Ok our gas boiler finally was sent to the boiler heaven in the sky today after a pinhole was found in a part of the casing that had rusted. not too pushed, it was an old model which was in the house when i moved in and had planned to replace early next year anyway. guess the good old credit union will be getting a call tomorrow.

Firstly i have 6 radiators currently running off the boiler. also heats the hot water for baths etc. (we have an electric shower, so mainly baths for the little lad each evening) i have plans for an extension in the next 5 years so possibly looking at another 4-5 rads being added to the system (dont wana have to fork out for another boiler in 2 years time. at the moment its a small 3 bed mid terrace house.

Im guessing a condensing boiler would be the most efficient so is it worth the extra for one of these? my current boiler is a potterton prima F and bills are usually around 30 in the summer and 60 in the winter. are there certain models which give a lot of trouble? any with a good reputation

next, ive noticed the uk prices are a lot cheaper. has anyone bought from any of the sites and would they recommend/discard any?

would prefer to go through bord gais as i can pay it off on my bill but ive been advised ill get it a lot cheaper to purchase it myself and get a registered plumber to fit then. and other suggestions/questions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Baxi boilers are very good, and very effecient. As for buying a boiler yourself, you're welcome to give it a go, I can't see why anybody would have a problem fitting one, especially if your getting the same models and makes that are sold here.

Also, bord gais, bad idea. You'll pay more, and theres no telling what kind of job you'll be getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Carnivore wrote:
    Baxi boilers are very good, and very effecient. As for buying a boiler yourself, you're welcome to give it a go, I can't see why anybody would have a problem fitting one, especially if your getting the same models and makes that are sold here.

Important point indeed, as servicing/spares can be a problem for uncommon ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

thanks guys, hadnt thought about parts etc. will have a look around at the models sold locally and work from there.

well the make I mentioned is sold in davies. Ring Davies up and ask for a list of boiler prices and makes.

ive found a company in england which stock all the major names at very reasonably prices, along with gas fires (had one ordered before all this happened) so just waiting on a quote for delivery. even with delivery of up to 200 id be making substantial savings from prices in ireland

• Advertisement

ive found a company in england which stock all the major names at very reasonably prices, along with gas fires (had one ordered before all this happened) so just waiting on a quote for delivery. even with delivery of up to 200 id be making substantial savings from prices in ireland

Gas fires are a really bad idea. They waste a huge amounth of gas for the heat they give out. Any savings you might make, will be wasted. I've seen them installed in houses, and never on, as people realise just how costly they are to run.

edit
    I found this link
    http://www.cda.org.uk/megab2/build/pub124/sec3.htm

well im not putting in a solid fuel fire to replace the current gas fire, dont really care how much gas it wastes if it heats the living room up when i come in on a cold day in the middle of winter

well im not putting in a solid fuel fire to replace the current gas fire, dont really care how much gas it wastes if it heats the living room up when i come in on a cold day in the middle of winter

Fair enough, if money isn't an issue. Though if hte link I provided is accurate, you'd be looking at at least a 30% of your gas bill going on the fire. I don't really understand the need for a fire when you have central heating. A couple more/some better rads would do the trick. Most people only get gas fires because they look pretty.

ive always liked a nice fire as the focal point of a living room. anyway im not talking about having it on all evening, possibly a half hour at most.

next question then, i currently have the boiler heating the central heating which in turn heats the water in the hot water cylinder. the boiler is currently in our spare bedroom (unsightly and taking up space).

i intend to fit the new boiler in the top of the hotpress, (hotwater cylinder is in the bottom section along with where the gas connection travels up and across to the current boiler) and take the flue out through the adjoining wall, across the top of the kitchen units and out through the external wall.

question is would i be best off now just going for a combi boiler while im at it which will heat the hot water as i need it (at near to mains pressure) and the central heating on timer or will i be just as well getting a newer (conventional or system) boiler to replace the job the last one did.

Combi boilers seem very good, up to you really. One thing I noticed, you talked about the flue, there are regulations with regards the number of bends, length and location of the flue, you might want to make sure you can put you boiler where you want to.

• Advertisement

ya im gona need to get a gas guy in on monday to talk about what i need and what can and cant be done. wouldnt think it will be too much of a problem though. its a 90 turn to the right out the top of the boiler and then about 2m to the external wall. oh well guess ill find out soon enough. will come back and let know how i got on with the supplier for other people's future reference. thanks for the help

well the work just started yesterday. i went for a Vokera Unica 28HE boiler. price came in at around 1100. it heats your water once the hot tap comes on and does the central heating by timeclock. plumber recommended this manufacturer to me and said he had installed a lot of them. i went for the high effeciency model. they have a head office in callan, co. kilkenny so getting parts shouldnt be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

well the work just started yesterday. i went for a Vokera Unica 28HE boiler. price came in at around 1100. it heats your water once the hot tap comes on and does the central heating by timeclock. plumber recommended this manufacturer to me and said he had installed a lot of them. i went for the high effeciency model. they have a head office in callan, co. kilkenny so getting parts shouldnt be a problem.
    Hey, how much hassle is it turning out to install it?
    Is that one a combi boiler?
    Are they taking out your cylinder/cold tank in the attic?

Do you mind me asking how much its all costing?

My own boiler is about 18 years old and I am thinking of getting a new one (along with upgrading things like timers/thermostats/zones) if Its not a major job to get a combi boiler I might go down that route...

Thanks!

yeah, i was in the same situation. one i had only did the central heating, was in the house when i bought it. theres no need for the cylinder anymore as you say but im just gona leave the tank in the attic where it is as i have it converted and cant be arsed pulling it out. (sorry yes its a combi condensing boiler)

its not much hassle by the looks of it as my gas and hot and cold feeds are all located in the hotpress already so it was ideal to situate the new boiler here instead of the small bedroom where the old one was.

as for price, i think around 1500 would be the usual price going by what people were telling me (that would be for relocating the boiler elsewhere also) however im getting the boiler fitted, plumbing done and new gas fire fitted in living room for 1300 euro. im also fitting radiator thermostatic valves to most of the rads.
    i agreed that i would do any of the major drilling of holes (for the flue as there is 2 walls between the boiler and the exterior) so that possibly kept the price down. (i figured i may as well do this as it could take the plumber 3-4 hours to do this himself, which id be paying him at his rates for)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Well my current boiler is downstairs in the kitchen as thats where the gas is, no gas supply upstairs.

There are is a water circuit upstairs to the cylinder, but Id guess these pipes are no use for the HW as they are basically central heating pipes..
    maybe they can just pull through some Qualpex or something...

I ve had a hard time trying to get info on the types of boilers, mainly I just get specific models/makes, but the info I have seen warns that if you may have issues filling baths or getting a good water pressure/supply with a combi boiler.
    We have a main bathroom, ensuite and then a guest WC downstairs...
    Did you get any info on what sort of mains pressure you need for a combi?

nope didnt bother with it. pressure in my mains is strong enough to rip a coiled hose, (town mains obviously) so didnt see it as a major problem. there's a lot of info on the vokera website (www.vokera.co.uk) might be worth a look. we've only got the kitchen and bathroom though so obviously not gona be as loaded as your system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

Go to http://www.sedbuk.com/ for independant efficiency results for all boier manufacturers

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Hi guys
    Dublin Providers for info on Potterton. Combi boilers need 1 bar mains pressure or they shut down, and 1 bar supply pressure is the min pressure that DCC are happy with.
    I'm trying to get one fitted in new extention to very old property, but pressure very bad and under investigation at the minute. Only pipework in house in 1/2" cold feed to old kitchen. Although NOT necessary for C/H or hot water supply, I'm having a header tank fitted in attic to supply cold water to Loo cistern etc. Without this you have no reserve of water for any purpose if mains go off.
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Where did you end up getting the boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

We buy Condensing Combi boilers in B+Q for about €900, anybody getting better prices than that? We fitted eight so far without problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

We buy Condensing Combi boilers in B+Q for about €900, anybody getting better prices than that? We fitted eight so far without problems.

Dublin Providers quoted me €785 for the smaller of the two Potterton combis they stock(" suitable for normal 3 bed house", they say). That's including vat + trade discount( wear dirty overalls should do). Comparing depends on outputs of course
    t

Advertisement