Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

57 Dead Starlings

• 08-09-2006 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

At about 1 o clock today a friend of mine was driving into a factory and a flock of starlings dropped dead in front of him. He put them on the side of the road, One flew away and one hopped into the hedge, the rest (57) were dead.
    They were all grown and looked healthy.

Wtf happened? No-one we talked to ever heard anything like this.

It has nothing to do with the factory as the place is always full of birds.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭colmranger

Where did this happen?

All wild birds are protected by Law, you should report this to the National Parks and Wildlife Service.

Here is their contact details just click on nlink below:

http://www.npws.ie/ContactUs/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Definitly report it.... Totally unusual:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

^^ I would but it has nothing to do with me and i dont want to get involved.
    I was astounded and just wanted to know if anyone knew what was going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

What does the factory make?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

a regretable incident

• Advertisement

piraka wrote:
    What does the factory make?
    Again I dont want to say as I dont want to get involved or mention anyting identifiable. As I said the place is always full of birds so i doubt its related to them in anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

It is extremely unusual for a large number of birds to drop dead out of the sky.

You might expect one that was sick or injured, but 57 needs investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

@ Duff Man Jr, well all you can do is say it to your mate and ask him to report it to the local wildlife crowd in the link above. No one is saying the factory had anything to do with it. But if something was released into the atmosphere it needs to be established where it came from. I mean if the deaths were caused by an airborne substance it could easily be a human next.
    It is highly unusual but I didn't want to post earlier cos I was half expecting a punchline to a joke!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Why not report it anonomously just giving location and number of birds...you'd be doing everyone in the area a favour.....
    No one can say it was you, could be a passerby/walker/anyone that saw all the dead birds..

It would be safer....

Because of the threat of Avian Influenza any bird deaths in high numbers are to be reported to the dept of Agriculture "IMMEDIATELY".

They have teams of vets on standby who go out pick up the dead birds and have them tested for the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Grow a set of testicles and report this :mad:

I think at this stage this original post must have been a prank?

I'm very intrested to know why you think that?

At about 1 o clock today a friend of mine was driving into a factory and a flock of starlings dropped dead in front of him. He put them on the side of the road, One flew away and one hopped into the hedge, the rest (57) were dead.
    They were all grown and looked healthy.

Wtf happened? No-one we talked to ever heard anything like this.

It has nothing to do with the factory as the place is always full of birds.

57 Starlings cannot just drop dead in an instant it's just not possible.

2ndly we all advised you profoundly to contact authorities re:Avian Influenza etc. and you never bothered to acknowledge our input. Peoples lives could have been at risk. :eek:

colmranger wrote:
    57 Starlings cannot just drop dead in an instant it's just not possible.

2ndly we all advised you profoundly to contact authorities re:Avian Influenza etc. and you never bothered to acknowledge our input. Peoples lives could have been at risk. :eek:
    If it was a prank I could think of something funny, why would I bother my hole making this up?

I did acknowledge your input, I said I wasnt going to get involved.

As for reporting it there are enough people that know about it. And if ye want to know the truth I dont care enough to report it. And before people go on about what a bastard I am and "Peoples lives could have been at risk" I dont want to hear it so shut up.

If people here were really worried they would have made a real effort to find out where it happened. If someone sent me a PM stating that they were really concerned about it, I gladly would have given them all the details, but I didn't get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm amazed that anyone could come across, or know any details about, this and not "want to get involved". Besides the obvious damage to the wildlife in the area, this could have serious implications for humans as well. For goodness sake report it!:confused:

Advertisement