Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Angry

• 09-09-2006 5:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey people I need your advice, I'm really angry with my workplace. Sorry if this is long and boring.

I work for one of the well known company here in Ireland. A few weeks ago I received instructions to carry out business for a customer of ours via from another office of the company. The customer is tagged to where I work is the so it's up to me/us to conduct all the checks on it. It turns out we had no contact number for the customer on file and neither did directory enquiries so I couldn't do a callback (normal procedure) and verify the matter was genuine. I decided to leave it to one side for the following in day on the off chance the customer would ring the next day asking about it, they didn't. I also checked with another directory enquiries to see if they had a listing, again they didn't.

My grandfather died the following morning, I went into work fully aware of this, I worked up until closing time that day (though we stay til after closing) before leaving to travel 4 hours to the other end of Ireland. Before I left work I told my colleagues of the circumstances, they were sympathetic and supportive. They asked me if there was any work I needed carried over into next week so I said we needed to draw up a letter for this guy, they said they'd get someone else to do it. As is the way with doing these things - passing stuff on to colleagues stuff can get left aside so no letter went out.

I came back to work perhaps a little early less than 48 hours after burying him (I helped to carry the coffin and lowered it into the ground) and the last thing on my mind was remembering to check up on that customer. Anyway, it turns out there was a delay on the customer's stuff until the middle of this week because I had only got in touch with him. He took the matter further and made a huge complaint to our customer care department, they contacted me and I also spoke to the customer who asked me if I had never heard of using pen and paper and generally gave out stink. Because of the complaint he's going to be refunded the fees. I did investigate the matter as best I could and told my head office about the complaint and how we needed it resolved ASAP.

Now it turns out the customer was told my grandfather died so I'm very tempted to draft a letter to whoever dealt with this in our customer complaints section. I'm angry, disgusted and disappointed that the company told the customer this because I most certainly did NOT give them permission to tell him that, I said they shouldn't. I think I can write well but I feel there is a danger I may write with too much emotion and it may detract from my letter. So if you guys could help have any input I'd appreciate it.

I can't really let this go because I feel I have to make a point if not a few. I received compassion and support at a local level but I'm not happy with how I've been treated by another department. I am only a temp still...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'd sit down and talk this one over with someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hmm, well I've talked about the loss to a friend and family but I only found out the customer knew yesterday. Do you mean talk about the emotions or what to do in terms of perhaps writing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Looking back, I was actually in a similar position once. A friend died and I had to do the funeral arrangement here for the family in South Africa. I threw an absolute wobbler the following Monday because I didn't get any support that week (I got an hour off to collect his death certificate).

I was so angry my hand started shaking uncontrollably, something that still happens when I get nervous/angry/scared/emotional (together).

One person can only look at something from one perspective. Having another person look at it gives a different perspective. More people will give more perspectives, but usually it is the second perspective that is most important. This is the basis of the saying "a problem shared is a problem halved". I'm quite guilty of this myself of only using one perspective.

I think they informed the client to get the client to understand, whether successfully or not. I don't think telling the client was a "bad" thing. Did the customer know about the bereavement when he "gave out stink"?

Now as I see it, you have two issues (a) the bereavement (b) how it was handled by your employer. Only the first one really matters. Getting upset about the client isn't going to resolve things.

Give it a few days.

PS it seems odd that the client got upset, despite not having a phone number. If it’s that important, stay in contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

I really really feel for you - my grandad died in January and I actually reacted by giving up my disappointing job and couldn't imagine returning as soon as you did - very admirable you worked through the day knowing he had died.

By your post I feel you did EVERYTHING right - you checked for the number etc. Did they blame you for not having the phone number?
    You have to understand that the customer was just ONE of those customers that get wound up and make over-the-top self righteous complaints. The person dealing with the complaint was probably clutching at straws to try calm the customer down. I think you're right that they maybe shouldn't have said that your grandad died and if they had to say anything it should have been along the lines of he's off due to compassionate leave, bereavement or unforeseen circumstances.
    I agree it was unprofessional for them to mention that your grandad died so candidly. EVEN worse that the customer was handed over to you to give you stink when you got back! Did they mention your grandad dying? I would have saw red too!

I would draft the letter just to vent your anger and really read it to see what the issues are that have gotten to you. Then set it aside and redraft it in a non-confrontational way that outlines why you were disappointed with the handling of the situation. (Remember the tone of your letter will affect the reply you receive if you get one - "mirroring")

Writing the letter may make you think more objectively about all the issues. I've written letters before and got it all out of my system. Just consider the future impact also - do you need a reference from them? will it affect any of your work relationships? would it affect the renewal of your contract.
    If you do go ahead and write it - make sure you say you are usually conscientious and like to do a good job so you are disappointed with how this reflects on you even though you did all in your power etc. goodluck. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Couple of quick points.

Not sure how close you were to grandparent but a person doesnt usually receive the same amount from sympathy for burying a grandparent.
    Probably because most people have done so. If it was me I would of mentioned the need for time off and kept stum from then on.

Dont ever expect compassion in a workplace. If you need time off take it. But work when you are able to work without bringing personal stuff into work with you.

Other thing. Im not sure. But did you draft a letter to the customer before you left? If not why didnt you instead of passing it off. And also the manner in which you passed it off. How much emphasis did you put on getting the letter done.

Also are you responsible for the customer? Then why dont you have a phone number for them? Surely it would be an obvious check during taking a complaint? ie "whats the best number to get back to you on Jimmy"?
    I am only a temp still...
    I wouldnt go on on about your grandparent. Say nothing. I doubt it will get much attention. If you blow up a storm it will be investigated in every minute detail to see exactly what the story is.

Your a temp keep the head down. And make an impression from here on in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies.

Not sure what I'll do yet. I may send a polite email to the customer care department to clarify what exactly the customer was told. Depending on their reply I will see what I'll do or not as may be the case.

With respect to not having a phone number for him it's not my fault that it isn't on the database (though I've now added one to it), nor is my fault the original receiving office did not copy his driving licene/passport or take a contact number. I'm having a lot of problems from other departments forwarding stuff to me, they don't seem to be on the ball for example the other day a customer ended up stuck in the UK without what she needed because another office had not properly implimented the procedures. I have mentioned the problems at the morning meetings, I'm going to have to become stricter. There are huge staffing issues and the training is poor (I'm stating that as a fact not a fallback excuse specific to this situation) within the company but that's another story. If you saw some of the behind the scenes stuff you'd be question whether or not you'd deal with this company.

I'm aware that someone does not receive much sympathy from burying a grandparent. I would expect a little common sense though. I mean I'm not allowed to speak to anyone but the customer who we're dealing with, I can't speak to their wife and go "ah yeah, is he looking to send X?" so it seems a bit odd (to me at least) work told the customer the specifics.

Am I responsible for the customers? Sure, but not all of them because of the way they're tagged to us. I never meet most of them, as was the case with this guy. I do check their details are accurate as is procedure, same for many others. If they're not I will not put my name to something I don't think is correct. I'm aware having "obvious" checks, I follow the procedures to the letter. I could not send his item as I had not verified with him, I knew written correspondence was required.

Why did I not personally write a letter to him because I simply had not time earlier that day. I was aware his stuff was in my "to do" pile, I attached a note to it that said a letter needed to be sent out. Later that day I informed work of my situation, they asked if I needed anything do be done I put the documents on the top of my folder and clearly told them to do a letter for this guy. The girl I told was standing close enough to me to read the documents, I didn't mention it when I was on my way out or point to my desk and say "ah yeah, that yolk there" or some such crap. She said they'd get John to do it but as it was a Friday they probably forgot and wanted to get home. C'est la vie. Before anyone says it's not a good enough excuse that you didn't have time to write a letter for some time now I've been at my desk and working before 9am every day. I also always ignore my morning break because my work is important to me and I don't want to miss the deadlines.

Upon the matter being resolved I spoke to customer after he had been on to customer complaints again he was then well mannered and didn't ask me for an explanation after I told him my head office authorised his stuff. I then sincerely apologised and told him he'd be refunded. We are also going to send a letter to him. Stuff falls through the cracks. We've lost money because colleagues in other sections don't do what they're supposed to.

When other offices fook up I write up records about the problems, I'm conscientious about my work and importance of it. I have a good track record and have received thank yous for pulling out all the stops for people. Despite constant interruptions and tangents I get the vast vast majority of my work done on time, if anything it's other offices that are slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

DONT write a letter to your customer care department.

Its not a professional way to handle things.

The correct way to handle this is to escalate through your Manager and/or HR.

To be blunt you're emotionally wobbly right now, and not in the correct frame of mind to deal with this yourself. You are likely to lose your rag and do something you regret.

As another poster suggested sit down and draft a letter then redraft it in non-confrontational terms.

Then if you still feel strongly give it to either your manager or HR.

Bear in mind that since you are a temp, you may be risking your job if you kick up too much of a fuss over this issue.

Check if your office has a respect and dignity policy or something similar.

Consider things very carefully before doing anything though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Grrr wrote:
    When other offices fook up I write up records about the problems, I'm conscientious about my work and importance of it.

Be careful about that sort of thing. You may come across as a stitch up merchant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The correct way to handle this is to escalate through your Manager and/or HR.
    Yes! Be sure to be calm but concerned when you approach them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I agree. Also be aware that some people might not see the big fuss about telling the customer that your grandfather had died.

I learned a long time ago that you can't rely on workmates to do things that you're supposed to do if you're not there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement