Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too much hot water.

Options
  • 09-09-2006 5:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I have underfloor heating and all through this summer because of the insulation the heat hasn't been on at all. This is great except at all times of day and night I have a full tank of hot water wether I want it or not. I have been told there is something that I can put on the tank that will allow say only a half tank but what is it called and how would it be fitted into an existing system (allow water to the heating but not the tank and vice versa).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I'm not quite following your post. Are you running the heating and as a result heating the whole tank of water?

Or are you using an immersion with a single element and hence heating the whole tank of water?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Im a little lost too, Do you have a solar water heater?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

more clarity needed please

• Registered Users Posts: 16 short_frank

Sorry if I am not making myself clear. The boiler is on at all times, I have no immersion. I rely on the boiler for my hot water and I don't want to have to be turning on and off my boiler whenever I need water in the summer and I obviously can't in the winter as with underfloor heating I need the boiler running. I am trying to regulate the amount of water I have in the tank as I obviously don't need a full tank of water at 4 in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

just leave the one of the hot taps running slowly that way your can leave the heating on, and the water won't get too hot

do you seriouly leave the heating on all year so that you don't have to turn it on and off :eek:
    I wonder would it work out cheaper for you to employ a person to sit in the house and switch it on for you?

get a plumber in to fit an immersion
    ask him to set the thermostat on it too the lowest setting
    make sure the tank insulated

....then leave the immersion on ( on the sink setting )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 propertysue

Hi There
    I think I know what your taking about, I had a plumber fit a valve of the heating system at the boiler so the hot water would just heatup not the rooms this gave a full tank of hot water. But before that there used to be an immersion which you could set to sink or bath and this would heat up a small amount of water enough for a quick shower on sink and the bath setting would heat enough for a full bath hense the full tank. Sounds weird that you need the boiler on all the time for underfloor heating that sounds like a waste, I'd get that checked out also, but don't know much about underfloor heating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

It should be easy enough to fit a thermostat on the cylinder or zone the system so the cylinder is seperate from the central heating.

I would be surprised if your boiler is running 24 / 7 to heat the cylinder because the boiler will switch off at 60 > 65 degrees using the boiler stat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Sorry if I am not making myself clear. The boiler is on at all times,i presume u mean u have no time switch on it, just an on off switch. I have no immersion.u dont need one I rely on the boiler for my hot water and I don't want to have to be turning on and off my boiler whenever I need water in the summer and I obviously can't in the winter as with underfloor heating I need the boiler running. I am trying to regulate the amount of water I have in the tank as I obviously don't need a full tank of water at 4 in the morning.if u have a two zone time switch fitted as well as the kit mentioned by rooferpistolpete to creat 2 separate zones, then u can have the boiler come on for say 30 mins in the morning to heast the hot water cylinder and the same in the evening so u will have hot W when u need it. The second zone can be used to heat the UFH as required, timed of course
    :):)

Advertisement