Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10K Charity Run Through The Port Tunnel

Options
  • 09-09-2006 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

I heard a snippet on the radio during the week where somebody mentioned the possibility that a 10K Charity Run was being organised that would go through Dublin's new Port Tunnel before it officially opens for traffic later this year .... insert your jokes about swimming/drowning/wellies here ____________ .

Many charities have contacted the Dublin Port Authority with a view to raising money from such an unusual event, if anybody gets any more information on this please post it here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Clonliffe Harriers are organising a 5 Mile Race.. See Below,

Keep an eye on www.clonliffeharriers.com

Aug 9, 2006
    As you may have seen in various newspaper articles over recent days Clonliffe Harriers in conjunction with The Dublin Port Company are the organising club for a once off, totally unique and a first in Ireland event THE DUBLIN PORT TUNNEL RACE.

The event is at the planning stages, the club`s Committee are currently intensively involved in the strategic organisation phase of the race with the Port Company.

At this early stage all we can confirm is that the race will take place towards the end of October or early November and more than likely on a Friday night. The race will commence at the Port side of the tunnel and will run (underground for the entire distance) northwards towards Santry,uphill, and will use an underground turn at Whitehall to swing back down the other side of the tunnel back to Dublin Port,the second half of the race will be fast as it is all downhill. The total race distance will be 5 Miles.

It is anticipated that there will be the provision of car parking and baggage area close to the start/finish area. The presentation of prizes to the winners will be made in the Port area.

This will be a totally unique experience in Irish sport. For the athletes taking part it is the one and only opportunity to run through the Port Tunnel. The fact that the race will take place at night will add to the atmosphere and the sense of occasion.

The race will undoubtedly attract hugh interest and it is expected that the will be substancial numbers wishing to take part. For obvious reasons it is simply not possible to allow unlimited numbers take part. As part of the planning process we would expect a limit and a closing date to be put in place and beyond which ever is reached first no further enteries will be accepted. Therefor we would advise that as soon as entry is open you should apply.

Clonliffe and The Dublin Port Company are also pleased to announce that a portion of the race entry fee will be donated to The Lord Mayor`s Fund. In addition Charity organisations are welcome to seek individual athletes and groups of athletes to fund raise for them in this unique occasion.

Further details will be posted on this site : Race date, entry details, entry fee , etc. as they become available. WATCH THIS SPACE.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

DaveH wrote:

...a once off, totally unique

This will be a totally unique experience in Irish sport.

For the athletes taking part it is the one and only opportunity to run through the Port Tunnel.

The fact that the race will take place at night will add to the atmosphere and the sense of occasion.

The race will undoubtedly attract hugh interest and it is expected that the will be substancial numbers wishing to take part.

I sense a fleece coming... (What a grumpy old cynic I am becoming)

Seriously, I hope it's a great occasion, and all goes well, at least for Clonliffe.

Hopefully not too many runners will bump their heads on the roof...:D

Perhaps they should run the race with the lights out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭aoa321

Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye on the Clonliffe Harriers site.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

I've checked the clonliffe harriers website and cant find any reference to this run.

It sounds really cool.........can I suggest that perhaps its done in november and not end of october if possible, as Im sure quiet a few marathon participants would like to have the opportunity to do it!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

I reckon this would be a good road race.

There couldn't be too many potholes or cow Sh**te to deal with :)

No updates on Clonliffe Harriers site or the Port Tunnel website.

Anybody have any more info?

Regards,
    Alan

• Advertisement

Heard on the grapevine;), should be in the next 4 weeks. Hold up is when the Tunnel is finished. I dont think there'll be too advertisment of this race, maybe only 2 weeks notice. It will be a Sunday as well I gather.

Thanks Dave
    You're obviously in the loop.
    Make sure to let us all know here ASAP.

DaveH wrote:
    Heard on the grapevine;), should be in the next 4 weeks. Hold up is when the Tunnel is finished. I dont think there'll be too advertisment of this race, maybe only 2 weeks notice. It will be a Sunday as well I gather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭deadlybuzz

There's now a page dedicated to the event on the Clonliffe website. Race & entry details TBD.

aburke wrote:
    Thanks Dave
    You're obviously in the loop.
    Make sure to let us all know here ASAP.

Im actually not in the loop. Just have a few friends in Clonliffe and hearing very reliable information. If I hear anymore I'll pass it on.

Cheers
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

sounds like fun. I hope it doens't end up clashing with anything else for me.

• Advertisement

Hi,
    My Sources have told me the race will take place on Sunday December 10. This has to be confirmed officaillly, but a good pointer is that the National Novice has been re-fixed for Saturday December 9, from the 10th.

www.clonliffeharriers.com - keep an eye over the next few days.

Cheers
    Dave

Great Stuff, Thanks Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Heard on the radio this morning that it will take place on Sunday December 10th. Does anyone know how to apply to this run?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nudjte

Is that site above board? Seems strange that they'd be able to register you for the race when there doesn't seem to be any details available on the race (bar the radio announcement I heard this morning).

Clonliffe's site don't have anything, and they are hosting the race, aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I've registered for and run the complete adidas race series via that site this year. Pretty sure it's above board :)

I'd say clonliffe just haven't updated their website yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭daymobrew

nudjte wrote:
    Is that site above board? Seems strange that they'd be able to register you for the race when there doesn't seem to be any details available on the race (bar the radio announcement I heard this morning).

Clonliffe's site don't have anything, and they are hosting the race, aren't they?
    The site is 'above board' - the Dublin City Triathlon was booked through it, as was the National Duathlon race.

The webmaster might simply not have gotten around to updating the Clonliffe page.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I have used this site loads of time for various events, so ther should be nothing to worry about. Just entered myself.

I'm in..
    But who knows what state I'll be in after the National Novice Cross Country the day before...

Entered!

I'm hoping this will kickstart my fitness and weight loss drive.

Will there be a problem getting an ambulance into the middle of the tunnel with 10000 runners? :D

Addendum: I currently weigh 203lbs and 23% BF at 6ft. We'll see after the run (not race) if two of those figures have changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭TimG

hi slowcoach, 10000 places, thats crazy, One of my friends also told me that there is 10000 places, (and 2000 have been booked already!) This cant be right, what happen if there's a fire, or if the tunnel floods:D due to the dodge roof, or whatever!

TimG wrote:
    ...or if the tunnel floods

It becomes a 10k swim! Practice holding your breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

TimG wrote:
    10000 places, thats crazy

9700 I think. And there's over 2000 people entered already. That should increase quite a bit today and tomorrow cos the official launch was yesterday and the pictures ands stories hit the papers this morning.

It'll be a bit of a jog more than a run. Can't see any PBs being set on the day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Clum wrote:
    9700 I think. And there's over 2000 people entered already. That should increase quite a bit today and tomorrow cos the official launch was yesterday and the pictures ands stories hit the papers this morning.

It'll be a bit of a jog more than a run. Can't see any PBs being set on the day.
    Just registered. Now there's 3100.

I'm horridly unfit, having not hit a gym in one and half years. I'm planning to jog the thing, not run, but I still better get working out. Also hopefully I'll lose some of my 98 kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

i'm in too.....does anybody know if there are t-shirts for the finishers???Also is there parking at the tunnel anywhere??

I was told by one of the organisors in July :-), thats theres a medallion going to the finishers. The guy I was speaking to was designing it. So hopefull its turns out that way. I personally prefers plaques to T-shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭daymobrew

bullrunner wrote:
    i'm in too.....does anybody know if there are t-shirts for the finishers???Also is there parking at the tunnel anywhere??
    DaveH wrote:
    I was told by one of the organisors in July :-), thats theres a medallion going to the finishers.

According to the page about the race, http://www.clonliffeharriers.com/ch_port_tunnel_race_f.html ,
    Awards
    Each finisher will receive a beautifully engraved souvenir medallion. This is a one-off, never to be repeated medallion together with a special commemorative T-shirt.
    So a medallion plus a t-shirt.

There was mention somewhere about some parking in East Point Business Park, but public transport is encouraged. Clontarf DART station isn't far.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

daymobrew wrote:
    According to the page about the race, http://www.clonliffeharriers.com/ch_port_tunnel_race_f.html ,
    So a medallion plus a t-shirt.

There was mention somewhere about some parking in East Point Business Park, but public transport is encouraged. Clontarf DART station isn't far.

how far is clontarf dart? must be a couple of miles? public transport isn't great if they are saying there is ltd storage of gear? come 'ready to run' is not going to be pleasant on a cold sunday across the city!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

mmm, if there is a teeshirt and they haven't asked for sizes it will most likely be a one size fits all i.e. a nightshirt to those of us smaller than a size 22! It' a shame. I would love a teeshirt that fitted but if not, I would prefer the money wasted on it went to charity.

I suppose for people intending to race this, the best plan is to try and get a friend to come along that can drive you as close as possible and hold onto your gear while you run. I'll just be out for he criac so I don't particularly mind if I'm cold at the start. I think I'm going to cycle over there.

• Advertisement

daveym wrote:
    how far is clontarf dart? must be a couple of miles? public transport isn't great if they are saying there is ltd storage of gear? come 'ready to run' is not going to be pleasant on a cold sunday across the city!!
    Funnily enough I work in East Point. Its a 10-15 minute walk from Clontarf Dart station to East Point, unfortunately the entrance to port tunnel is on the other side of east point. Id say its only 25-30 mintue walk around, its not that far. The entrance is near the old B&I gateway.
    Im looking forward to this, being watching the tunnel being built for the last 4 years.

Advertisement