Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10K Charity Run Through The Port Tunnel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

mmm, if there is a teeshirt and they haven't asked for sizes it will most likely be a one size fits all i.e. a nightshirt to those of us smaller than a size 22! It' a shame. I would love a teeshirt that fitted but if not, I would prefer the money wasted on it went to charity.

Ditto. I was pleased with the Marathon long sleeve shirt. Good sizes, and the 's' fits me perfectly!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭daymobrew

DaveH wrote:
    Its a 10-15 minute walk from Clontarf Dart station to East Point, unfortunately the entrance to port tunnel is on the other side of east point. Id say its only 25-30 mintue walk around, its not that far. The entrance is near the old B&I gateway.
    Gmaps Pedometer measured the distance to be just over 1 mile from Clontarf DART station. A gentle warm-up should have you down to the start quick enough.
    mmm, if there is a teeshirt and they haven't asked for sizes it will most likely be a one size fits all i.e. a nightshirt to those of us smaller than a size 22! It' a shame.
    Maybe they'll have a range of sizes on offer after the race. Like they did at the BUPA 10k in 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Pamwam

I hear that the tunnell has quite a hill at the start ... 2 miles!
    does anyone have any info on what the course is like?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Only 820 places left.

I hear it'll be cold, wet and windy on Sunday week, so it's a good job they're holding it indoors. :p

I hear it's down first, then up to Santry, then down after the turnaround, and up again to the finish. How steep, I don't know.

edited to add: 813 places now, 5 minutes later. They're going like hotcakes.

Pamwam wrote:
    The entry page says:
    The Course will be marked at each km. Conditions for running are ideal as it is practically all held underground, however there is a distinct climb for 3km of the outbound journey and 2+ km of the return journey. Participants should ensure they can finish the distance before taking part.
    I thought there was a video online doing a drive-through of the tunnel, but I can't find it.

• Advertisement

Pamwam wrote:
    I contacted Dublin City Council about the video; unfortunately it is not ready. With respect to the incline, I was told that:
    the incline is a gradual 4% but it is constant unlike other road surfaces which will vary.

Under the photo gallery are few errie views. I'm sure the noise of 10000 runners echoing off the walls should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Pamwam

4% doesn't sound too bad so I'm sure I'll survive! i just hate hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I still have not received my race number, which was supossed to be posted to my address 2 weeks before the race.

Did anyone receive it? I sent an email to the organization and as expected I have received no answer yet.

In case I don't receive the race number at all, should I show up on the day with a print of my registration email and number?

Cheers,
    Gustavo

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

I havent recieved my race number either, im sure it will be grand tho. If it doesnt arrive before the day I will bring the details with me on the day I suppose.

What kind of times are people looking to run?
    At the moment I am running 7.5k in just under 40 mins, so if I make it under an hour I will be happy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Fade2che, same as you. For 10k my goal is always not to walk during the whole run, what means just under 1h for me.
    However, I have started going to the gym a few months ago so I may aim for 53-55min. Will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm hoping for sub 40 mins. I've not trained for a 10 km recently but I have been doing some speedwork.

No number for me either and it will be sent to my parent's house as that's where my credit card is still registered..

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Dec 3, 2006 [Noel Guiden]
    Only a week to go to one of the biggest sporting mass participation events in Ireland this year. Next Sunday will see the 10,000 registered athletes, runners, joggers and walkers set on their way at 11:00 for this unique once off event. Wheelchair athletes will be off 15 minutes earlier. Please note that entry closed last Wednesday when the last of the limit of 10,000 places was taken. Clonliffe Harriers AC and The Port Tunnel Company regret that unfortunately it is not possible to accept any additional entries whatsoever. For Health and Safety reasons there was a strict limit of 10,000 placed on the event and with that number now reached entry is closed. Please further note that it is not possible to have a stand by or cancellation list. We regret that we cannot make any acceptions whatsoever to this.

All registered competitors will over the next couple of days receive their race numbers and final instructions sheet by post. The first batch has just been posted and the final batch will be dispatched in the next 24 hours. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR RACE NUMBER IN A SAFE PLACE AND BRING IT WITH YOU ON DECEMBER 10th AS YOU WILL NOT BE ADMITTED TO THE START AREA WITHOUT YOUR NUMBER.

RACE DAY INSTRUCTIONS:

The event takes place on SUNDAY DECEMBER 10th at 11:00 am

START/FINISH: Dublin Port Tunnel, East Wall Road, Dublin 1

ARRIVAL TIME FOR START: it is strongly recommended that you arrive at the start area between 9.00- 9.30am. PLEASE NOTE there will be no admittance after 10.15am.

GETTING THERE : it is recommended that public transport be availed of. There will be limited car parking (follow signs to Dublin Port area). The area is very well served by public transport:

CLONTARF DART STATION is only a 15 minute walk away.

BUSES : Annsely Bridge in Fairview is a short walk away, buses stopping in that area : 20B, 27, 27B, 29A, 31, 31B, 32, 32, 32A, 42, 42A, 42B, 33, 130.

ON ARRIVAL : You must show your race number to gain access to the start area. PLEASE NOTE that no one will be given access without a race number. We regret that for health and safety reasons (over crowding) that spectators will not be permitted to access the start/finish area.

BAGGAGE AREA: There will be a facitity for limited baggage handling. It is however advisable to arrive ready to run. Any baggage left in is done so entirely at your own risk. DO NOT LEAVE ANY VALUABLES WITH YOUR BAG.

START AREA : Please obey the stewards. There will be a system in place where you will be graded according to your estimated finishing time, please be realistic and go to the correct area. This will make the expierence much more enyoyable for all, however, in order to be a success we really do require your co opperation.

ON THE COURSE : The Civil Defence will be in attendance and there will be numerious first aid stations. In addition there will be water available during the event and toilets at half way.

FINISH AREA : Again please listen to the stewards, they know what they are doing, even if you are tired it is most important that you proceed through the finshing chutes as quickly as possible. There will be large finishing clocks displaying your finishing time. As you exist the finishing chute you will be presented with your special medallion. Proceed on further and you will receive your goody bag which will contain you souvenir T shirt. Please then exit the finish area. Please note there can be no re admittance to the finish area.

PRIZE PRESENTATION : Will be made within 10 minutes of the winners finishing. Prizes for the first 6 senior men and women. Prizes will also be awarded to the winners of Masters O/35 - O/65 by post after the event.There are also 12 spot prizes.

HEALTH AND SAFETY : The Civil Defence will be in attendance. Please obey the instructions of all race stewards.

correction: my number was in the post this morning.

I'm a bit concerned by the lack of baggage facilities. I'll be running over to the race and running home but as far as I can tell from boards.ie anyway) there are a lot of non-runners doing this. It's not really appropiate to leave them without warm clothes after a 10 km race, particularly after what is essentially an indoor race but finishing outside. For myself it means I'll have to leave straight afterwards rather than hang around chatting afterwards. It doesn't take that much effort to barrier off a section to put bags into.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Justa point on running for times. Was speaking to someone with experience of these kind of road races. He's not running this weekend, but he reckons that you will only have a surge every 100 meters or so. Just think of the logistics of 10,000 people running into the port tunnel at the same time, it does make a bit of sense.

We shall see what happens......

11 but they're saying you will not be let into the start area after 10:15 BBBrrrrrrgh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

I'm hoping for circa 45mins. Could be a bit of a tight squeeze alright and I wouldn't fancy falling and getting trampled on.....
    I've also yet to receive my number in the post

they get 10000 into Nassau street every halloween and it takes about 2 miles until the running is free.... Hopefully the walkers will have proper consideration for those trying to do their best. I'll certainly be hanging back to allow those who want to do their best, to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 sim2

Considering we have to be at the start at 9.30 for 11 o'clock start, can anyone enlighten me whether we will be allowed to use toilets before we start.
    At the start of the Women's mini-marathon, we were not allowed to the toilets for 45 minutes before the start. Granted it was one of the hottest days of the year and water consumption was huge but still it is not good for one to have to hold on like that! I was in the running section just before the joggers and by the time the start hooter went, I had severe cramp in my stomach, I couldn't run or walk and had to dive into the nearest hostelry to use their facilities.:eek: This won't be possible in the Tunnel, so if there is anybody from the organisers reading this, could you ensure there are enough toilets at the start.
    Thanks!;)

taken from the blurb that comes with the number

Toilets: Portaloos will be located at the entry/exit areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Also is there going to be somewhere warm for us to wait!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 sim2

At the start of the mini-marathon, there were portaloos aplenty but we weren't allowed out of our starting area to use them. And if you did go to leave the area, you were roared and screamed at and told you wouldn't be allowed back in and that you would have to go in with the other 38,000 joggers/walkers!
    I was just hoping that the Portaloos would be spread out for everyone's use and that we would be able to use them right up until 10-15 minutes before the start!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Marathon_Man

Newspaper headline Monday

"Another leak in the Tunnel!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭ZiggyStardust

Hi,
    Just wondering does anyone know if there is the use of the ChampionChip. Just thinking that 10,000 people are a lot and the times won't be too accurate.
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

There isn't, but considering there's 10k people running into a great big bottle neck I don't think anybody but the guys up the front are going to be getting a representative time anyway.

[edit] not that I mind, I figure it's just a very cool fun-run event [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

quozl wrote:
    I don't think anybody but the guys up the front are going to be getting a representative time anyway.

Defo! This is as much a fun run as fun runs get. Don't expect to set personal bests on Sunday. With 10,000 people walking/jogging up 2 traffic lanes it'll be more about the atmosphere and novelty of the event than racing the clock.

It'll be very frustrating making your way through a crowd like that if you're going for a fast finish. Enjoy the run, I reckon. If you wanna set some fast times go to the Phoenix Park on the 17th for the Aware 10K.

I haven't seen anything about an elite start. I hope they do manage to sort out the fast runners so that at least they don't end up trampling people who've never experienced a mass start like this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I haven't seen anything about an elite start. I hope they do manage to sort out the fast runners so that at least they don't end up trampling people who've never experienced a mass start like this before.

From above
    START AREA : Please obey the stewards. There will be a system in place where you will be graded according to your estimated finishing time, please be realistic and go to the correct area. This will make the expierence much more enyoyable for all, however, in order to be a success we really do require your co opperation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

i havent received my number in the post yet...(and as where i'm living is a new estate) the post seems to be infrequent (at best)...what happens if you havent received the number by the day of the race? [having posted this, i bet ya the number is at home now!]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

I recieved my race number today in the post, so i guess they should all be recieved sometime this week.

Advertisement