Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10K Charity Run Through The Port Tunnel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I got mine this morning too, I had the postman complaining that he hadn't gotton his yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

I got my number in the post too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Got mine today too.
    My only concern is if we will have to wait from 930 to 1100 with our racing clothes. I will bring my wife whom will hold my backpack but I she will not be allowed to the "race area".
    Using the lockers is out of the question as there are very few and I can forecast the hassle.
    The alternative to the next day cold will be to carry the backpack myself and run with it, what I've done in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭aoa321

I think in the Great North Run (and probably all other big events) some participants bring an old jumper (or whatever) that will keep them warm while they wait for the start but can be discarded before the race - so that might be an idea for some who are stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Latest weather forecast for Sunday (I know it's a bit long range at this point):
    ...and the first half of Sunday will be extremely windy and quite wet also with some heavy rain. This may well lead to some local flooding. Southwest winds are likely to gust to 100km/hr.

• Advertisement

aoa321 wrote:
    I think in the Great North Run (and probably all other big events) some participants bring an old jumper (or whatever) that will keep them warm while they wait for the start but can be discarded before the race - so that might be an idea for some who are stuck.
    Surely there will be some form of tent .....they can hardly expect 10,000 people to stand around in the freezing December weather for 1.5hrs! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

aoa321 wrote:
    At the BUPA 10k and the recent Jingle Bells 5k, I wore a light rain jacket over my gear. I rolled it up and tied it around my waist during the run. I barely noticed it, and I was able to put it back on after the races and keep warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

bullrunner wrote:
    i havent received my number in the post yet...(and as where i'm living is a new estate) the post seems to be infrequent (at best)...what happens if you havent received the number by the day of the race? [having posted this, i bet ya the number is at home now!]

Wouldnt ya know it...i got mine yesterday in the post!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭ZiggyStardust

aoa321 wrote:

A black bin liner also does the trick or those Meteor rain bags they hand out at concerts. I think once you will be in the crowd at the start it will be warmer. Found this to be the case at the start of the marathon.

Good luck everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Novice aged 46

So does anyone know where the money is going?

The Clonliffe website says: "A portion of the entry fee will go to the nominated Charity for the run is the Lord Mayors' charity". How big is that portion?

Here's my calculation:
    Online entry fee 25.30
    Fee to website 2.30
    Medallion (say) 4.00
    T-shirt (say) 2.00
    Numbers, envelope, post 1.50
    Other unit costs 0.50 (Drinks - although no mention)
    Contribution to charity 5.00 (Has to be at least this, surely)
    Total unit costs 15.30

Gross profit per entry 10.00 x 10,000 entries = €100,000
    Less prizes -5.000
    Less insurance -5,000
    Clocks, portaloos, admin -10,000
    Estimated profit €80,000 (before sponsorship income)

Would anyone from the organisers care to comment? How much is the "portion"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

T Shirt €2 ?
    Where are you buying your shirts?

I'm sure where you're coming from with this question.

Why do you want to know?
    Why do you think you should be informed?
    Just curious?

As far as I'm concerned, the race is not mandatory, and if you aren't happy with the cost, you can vote with your wallet.

Having organised a few [MUCH] smaller races, I can see some ommissions in your calculations.
    How much will first aid cover cost?
    Shouldn't the cost of publicity be covered?

If Clonliffe Harriers make a packet from this [though I very much doubt it!], best of luck to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

I have to agree with ABURKE.

When a club holds an event of this magnitude it goes out on a limb in the hope that they will get the entrants. In this case, the gamble has paid off, and the race is full... fair play to Clonliffe for promoting this properly. Lets hope it is run properly too.

I too have been involved in organising races, and in order to get club members to help out, there needs to be an incentive... and that incentive is usually in the guise of the race being a fund raiser for the club. Most clubs have annual races, and are not compelled to publish their books. Suffice to say they will make money out of this, and I am sure that will go back to the clonliffe athletes who will be there helping on the day and marshalling the runners/walkers... fair play to them.

Look at the Great Bupa Run. It is more expensive, and is not organised by a specific Dublin club. Where does the profit from this go? Does it filter back into athletics like the Clonliffe money will?

Good luck to everyone on Sunday. It should be a fun day!

(Disclaimer - I am not a Clonliffe member!!!)
    Domer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

I agree with aBurke and Domer on this one, Clonliffe had the resolve to get this event going and I hope they do make some money from it. If this is the case, I would be happy to see some of my money go to charity and some of it go back into a club such as Clonliffe. Like any of the clubs around the country, Im sure Clonliffe could find a good place for it within their budget.

(Note: I am not a Clonliffe member either!)

I have to agree with the above posts, if a club organises a run, why should it not benefit is some way. I rarey run for charity now, maybe one run a year. I get a bit spectical about some charities now, in that I find they are run like a business, so I wonder how much goes on admin and stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

aburke wrote:
    T Shirt €2 ?
    Where are you buying your shirts?

Why do you want to know?
    Just curious?

As far as I'm concerned, the race is not mandatory, and if you aren't happy with the cost, you can vote with your wallet.

Having organised a few [MUCH] smaller races, I can see some ommissions in your calculations.
    How much will first aid cover cost?
    Shouldn't the cost of publicity be covered?
    Prizes?

If Clonliffe Harriers make a packet from this [though I very much doubt it!], best of luck to them!

Well said!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭cantswim

Less insurance -5,000
    I'd say adding a 0 to the end of that figure would be closer to the true cost of insurance.

fair play to clonliffe for organising this - looking forward to sunday.

I'm heading down to Dublin shortly, so just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck with the run, lets hope we are not standing around in cra**y weather waiting on it to start.

Logistice wise I will leave my stuff at work (in the IFSC), will my shorts, runners, jumper and a light-warm jacket there put it in a backpack just before the race.

This means I will run with the backpack on but I don't think there are many options. Having to wait for more than one hour in winter with running gear is just unacceptable.

BTW, please see below message from Harries for people that didn't receive their numbers:

"...in the event of being a registered runner and you have not received your race number please print off the confirmation slip you will have received from activeeurope.com and bring this together with some sort of identification document to the Trouble/ Help Desk, which will be located at Globetrotters adjacent to the start, as early as possible on Sunday morning and you will be issued with a duplicate number. The Trouble/Help Desk will be open from 9.00 a.m."

Best of luck tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭aoa321

novice ... wrote:
    So does anyone know where the money is going?
    aburke wrote:

Why do you want to know?
    Just curious?

I think the original question was fair enough, as far as I can see the poster is just wondering where the money is going, what's wrong with that? Good luck to Clonliffe Harriers if they do make a lot of money out of it, but it's not a crime to wonder where your entrance fee is going, 10,000 entrants at 25 squid a head is a quarter of a million euros - what's wrong with asking for a rough idea of where it's going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Best of luck today lads hope ye ll enjoys it wih i was there with ya and lets us alll know how it goes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

How did everyone do?

The amount of walkers and slow runners holding up the place was unreal.

Well I enjoyed it....but yeh ateam I have to agree the amount of idiots who started up near the front and then walked and held everyone up....I spent the first 4.5k trying to get past them all.....jumpin up and down on the path really did my head in.....
    In the end I got a time of 51'26" but I didn't pass the start line for 4mins so happy enough with my time of 47'26" given the circumstances.
    Did anyone else notice how the toll bridge caused a bit of a tailback...I was having flashbacks of the M50!:eek: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I got to the water station at about 50 minutes and they had no water left. Poor form. Apart from that it was pretty good. The heat in the tunnel when running Northbound was nearly unbearable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The event was great craic.

The noise was surreal with the mexican wave/roar going up the tunnel. I couldn't believe the heat on the outbound leg, although people seemed to spread out a bit on the way back so it wasn't as bad.

I also missed the water station which was quite disappointing.

Finished in 1h 10 with a head-cold so I was quite happy as it was my first race over that distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Happy enough with run, as not very fit due to injuries....did a bit better than I thought I would.

Sometimes the occasion is more important than the race!

There'll be plenty of more times to get a PB, but there wont be anymore port tunnel runs, great experience something I'll never forget. Just went out and enjoyed it and didnt spend give much thought of times.

The light hitting you in the eyes as you enter the tunnell and the two big roars from the crowd, was something specail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Robin1982

That was great - have to admit I wasn't expecting that roar from the crowd in the tunnel - scared the bejesus out of me, worth the run alone for that.

Crossed the line 47'57 but didn't managed to see how much I was slowed up at the start so I'm guessing 46 and a half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

That was good fun. The return leg was a real sprint. Did 47 15, which is a PB for me. The roaring scared the sh!t out of me as well.

Anyone notice that the tunnel is still leaking (in one place at least) ? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

i loved every minute of it, only in ireland would u get an atmosphere like that at a fun run, i loved the olé olé olé chants that were going on and the huge cheers when u could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

they couldve had more water though because the heat in the place was incredible, and it didnt help that we were all wearing about 3 layers to help keep warm outside

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭cantswim

Agree overall a great race - though i agree the amount of people at the front who were walkers was unreal - no consideration for the people who really want to run it. a few more barriers for crowd management wouldn't have gone astray.
    but well done to clonliffe for organising the whole thing. tshirt wasn't too bad either.

• Advertisement

Very enjoyable experience. The temperature was ok for running into the tunnel, but that forced me to load even more my backpack.
    Among all the positive things, just three negatives:

1. As pointed out above, the walkers. Near the start some of us struggled to take over four idiot-girls walking and HOLDING HANDS.

2. The cold wave in the middle of the race in those hundred meters outside the tunnel, although there were not much that could be done there.

3. The delivery of the goody bags was an absolute mess.

The rest was brilliant and very enjoyable

Advertisement