Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia N80 - Whats the best network

• 09-09-2006 8:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Just got me an N80. Whats the best network to operate it on. I'm currently on o2 which seems to have stinking coverage in my area?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Uuuh Patsy wrote:
    Just got me an N80. Whats the best network to operate it on. I'm currently on o2 which seems to have stinking coverage in my area?

Depends what you want to do with it, Vodafone probably have the largest 3G coverage, followed by O2 and then 3.

As the N80 isn't an official Vodafone IE phone, there Vodalive Site will only show text, no pictures, streaming video etc.

Vodafone and I presume O2 will give you 3G internet access, 3 has a walled garden approach

You can make/receive Video calls on Vodafone and 3.

Also if it has version 3 firmware, get it upgraded to ver 4 as this fixes many bugs and makes it more stable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

If you want the 3G features, there are only 3 networks that provide it.
    Vodafone - most expensive of the three.
    O2 - Next most expensive
    3 - Least expensive.

3 have the best 3G coverage but they operate a walled garden, so no internet access outside what they provide you. Intl txting is a hit and miss, but they have good 24/7 customer support.

O2 - Good customer support, patchy 3G coverage, good GSM coverage, full internet access and better agreements for intl texting.

Vodafone, havent used them, patchy 3G coverage, good GSM coverage, full internet access and okay for the intl texting.

If your only after the normal features of the phone, Meteor are an Okay network, and they may work out cheaper for you, best advice is to go to callcosts.ie and plumb in your details (how much you would spend etc) it will recommend the best package and network to suit what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

So which ones will provide sim only. It seems only VF do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

If you want the 3G features, there are only 3 networks that provide it.
    Vodafone - most expensive of the three.
    O2 - Next most expensive
    3 - Least expensive.

3 have the best 3G coverage but they operate a walled garden, so no internet access outside what they provide you. Intl txting is a hit and miss, but they have good 24/7 customer support.

O2 - Good customer support, patchy 3G coverage, good GSM coverage, full internet access and better agreements for intl texting.

Vodafone, havent used them, patchy 3G coverage, good GSM coverage, full internet access and okay for the intl texting.

If your only after the normal features of the phone, Meteor are an Okay network, and they may work out cheaper for you, best advice is to go to callcosts.ie and plumb in your details (how much you would spend etc) it will recommend the best package and network to suit what you want.

Are you sure 3 have better 3G coverage? There are many places (outside big cities/towns) where I can get 3G on Vodafone but not on 3 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

What do you mean by SIM only? If you are talking about buying a SIM card to pop into your phone, O2, Vodafone and Meteor all sell them, usually for a tenner and they come with a tenner credit. 3 dont sell SIM packs AFAIK, you would have to buy a phone to switch to them but I could be wrong. You can call them (083 333 3333) or you can pop into Carphone warehouse or 3G and ask.

@skearon: It really depends on where you are, 3 have better coverage in some places that Vodafone lack, and vice/versa. I know many places where you cant get Voda 3G but 3's 3G works fine. Here is 3's coverage map: http://www.gsmworld.com/cgi-bin/ni_map.pl?cc=ie&net=h3

• Advertisement
Advertisement