Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

messy garden

Options
  • 09-09-2006 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

I just recently moved into a new house, that was a real "fixer upper" almost have the interior complete, but the garden is going to be a problem, who ever lived here before lived like pigs, the garden was full of rubbish, bin bags, and broken glass.

I have lifted most of the stuff 'that i can see and disposed of it, however if i was to really clear it out i would have to get on my hands and knees and lift ever shard of glass, nail, screws and god knows what else out of it.

I am thinking the best thing I think to do is rotivate it and reseed it, alot of work, expense and time, but is it the wisest thing to do, the grass that is there is ok, but unless I do something I will never have a lawn that looks well.

Is it too late in the year to go seeding a new lawn at this stage if thats the route to take,

Also anyone know of any good gardening websites that tell u what to do depending on the time of year, I am no green fingers but I have potential for a new hobby.

Attached new pic that may help....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

spray for the weeds, with a weedkiller that does not kill grass, then put down grass turf, u can fill any hiollows with sharp sand.

http://www.martynlawns.com/ for example

it is V easy to do, all u need is a kitchen knife to cut the sods

in terms of timing, maybe wait a few weeks, which will be ok as u need to kil the bad weeds!, but generally u can put sod down anytime.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

september is perfect time for sowing grass seed. A good website to get you started is www.garden.ie Any other questions here is a good place to post, books or do search on web.

For your garden, as a cheaper alternative to turf, you could try some topsoil and then sow grass seed.
    It would bury the waste glass etc, to a safe depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

ircoha wrote:
    spray for the weeds, with a weedkiller that does not kill grass, then put down grass turf, u can fill any hiollows with sharp sand.

http://www.martynlawns.com/ for example

it is V easy to do, all u need is a kitchen knife to cut the sods

in terms of timing, maybe wait a few weeks, which will be ok as u need to kil the bad weeds!, but generally u can put sod down anytime.

Best start off with a clean sheet, ideally ground should be sprayed (Roundup is one example) to effectively kill off everything. Only problem here is that spray can only be applied during dry conditions and works best during active growing phase. Now conditions temperatures are falling, a noticeable increase in moisture levels and growth will be slowing.

Be careful what sand you use, as sand such as sharp sand will potentially damage grass. Ground should be rolled and all hollows evened out (use soil or soil/compost/lawn sand mix) before using roll turf. Again preparation is everything, apply a slow release fertiliser before laying sod, water well and keep traffic free for 10-14 days, and you should have a well established lawn.

Advertisement