Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling All Science Students!!

Options
  • 09-09-2006 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

i dont know how this is going to work. ive got 6 subjects in the first semester all with labs and six subjects in the 2nd semester again all with labs. how is this going to work since college is only on 5 days/week???
    VERY confused?
    any1 suggest an elective that doesnt have a lab preferably in the 2nd semester.
    Im a 2nd yr science student

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

business modules dont usually have labs :p

accounting for non business students was unbelievably easy last year. If they still do it then its basically free marks. However it is quite boring :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭pFd

yeah i was thinkin of doing a business course and i could because ive done honours business in the leavin and got a c1, which was unreal considering the mess of a "teacher" we had.

ive already chosen a level 1 biology elective in sem1 so i dont think i sud choose another level 1 elective as i read sumwhere that u need a certain number of level 2 to pass or some ****e like that. this modurlisation stuff is so confusing, so many rules

dunno where you heard that. I know in third year you can only choose stage 2 electives so its best to use years 1 and 2 to pick some subjects you like as in 3rd year you gotta go more in depth on them.

If you have a lot of labs then why did you pick biology as well, surely thats gonna be fairly lab heavy.

its a level 1 biology elective and its for all students so its bound 2 b fairly easy. it doesnt mention anything bout labs in the "how will i learn" section on it. just tutorials
    are u sure we can do 2 level 1 electives in 2nd yr??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Your labs could easily go on until 6, infact in second year, for the first semester I was in until half 7 on wednesdays.

• Advertisement

are u sure we can do 2 level 1 electives in 2nd yr??
    Pretty sure thats what the guy said..also i have picked two level 1 electives this year so... :)

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Pretty sure thats what the guy said..also i have picked two level 1 electives this year so... :)

cool, if its good enough for you, its good enough for me. (i'm blaming you if we cant!.....;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

you're a second year science student, there's no way around it, the year revolves around the f*cking labs. I did biochem chem and pharma last year (no modules then) and i had 6/7 labs/tutorials every week.

Having said that if you can pick non-science or at least non lab modules, you really should. I've trying to pick some language modules but some error message thing keeps popping up, grrrr modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

tribulus wrote:
    you're a second year science student, there's no way around it, the year revolves around the f*cking labs. I did biochem chem and pharma last year (no modules then) and i had 6/7 labs/tutorials every week.

He's right. I did the same choices two years ago, and i had at least 4 labs a week, running from an hour to four hours, averaging about two. Chemistry labs last the longest, from those three subjects anyway.
    Having said that if you can pick non-science or at least non lab modules, you really should. I've trying to pick some language modules but some error message thing keeps popping up, grrrr modules.

I did spanish in third year, was great craic, but this was of course before modularisation. If you can pick a mickey-mouse, pick one. Second year is such a monumental step up from first year, you need to make it easier on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

3rd year module choices SUCK. That is all.

• Advertisement

3rd year module choices SUCK. That is all.

how were you allwed to pick a language and it wont work for me:mad:

//stomps off in spoilt brat mode

If i want pharmacology to be my main degree (im doing micro and pharma) do i HAVE to choose two chemistry option modules, one in each semester??
    they are functioning of biomolecules ain the first semester and reactivity in the 2nd semester, the second of which sounds very hard and a massive amount of work.

tribulus wrote:
    i had 6/7 labs/tutorials every week.

see now, i dont understand how you have 6 labs in a week. do the labs not run from 3-6???
    which means max of 5 labs/wek

i never did a subject that needed actual labs (aka white coat etc) but the labs i did have (aka programming labs) could run anytime in the day. Why do they have to be from 3-6? is this a special white coats thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

pFd, you sure you've all labs? Math modulse don't have labs and don't you have to take two of them per year? We do anyway...(first years...)

pre-modularisation you only had to take maths in 1st year. THANK GOD!

Comp Sci is an exception I think. And labs can be on at any time, in 2nd year I had biochem labs from 10-1 on a wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Do you get a timetable of your labs tutorials etc once you start cuz so far I've only gotten my lectures as I'm sure most others have...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Le Rack wrote:
    Do you get a timetable of your labs tutorials etc once you start cuz so far I've only gotten my lectures as I'm sure most others have...
    I haven't got them either

pMath modulse don't have labs and don't you have to take two of them per year? We do anyway...(first years...)
    We had to take 3 maths last year and im stuck with 3 maths again this year. Fantastic :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

pFd wrote:
    If i want pharmacology to be my main degree (im doing micro and pharma) do i HAVE to choose two chemistry option modules, one in each semester??

The only thing you need to do to get a subject as a major is pick the core modules for it (and get good enough grades to be allowed into the core course as there are fewer places in 3rd and 4th year). Obviously there are modules that complement your core subjects. I'm assuming you're in 2nd year so you would have already met the pre-requisites for getting in. Chemistry was never needed in 2nd year before.

• Advertisement

pFd wrote:
    see now, i dont understand how you have 6 labs in a week. do the labs not run from 3-6???
    which means max of 5 labs/wek

Maybe it's different for you guys but my lab/tutorial timetable looked like this last year.

monday 3-6 chem
    tuesday 2-5 pharm 6-7 chem
    wednesday 10-1 biochem 3-6 pharm
    thursday 11-12 biochem 3-6 chem

now the one hour tutorials were usually only every 2nd week but there was one of chem or biochem each week, also biochem and pharm labs rarely took longer than 2hours but the chem ones were nearly always 3 and sometimes over it (damn shiny transition metal complexes)

B-K-DzR wrote:
    We had to take 3 maths last year and im stuck with 3 maths again this year. Fantastic :(
    Twas really nice being exempt from maths when I was in 2nd CS :)

Twas really nice being exempt from maths when I was in 2nd CS :)

you take honours in 1st year? I was nearly put off CS because of the maths requirement. Then I realised I didn't particularly want to do it anyway.
    tribulus wrote:
    now the one hour tutorials were usually only every 2nd week but there was one of chem or biochem each week, also biochem and pharm labs rarely took longer than 2hours but the chem ones were nearly always 3 and sometimes over it (damn shiny transition metal complexes)

I was the same two years ago. Those damn transition metal complexes take forever! and some of the organic ones do too, and then never work (the grignard reaction one was a whore)

mloc wrote:
    you take honours in 1st year? I was nearly put off CS because of the maths requirement. Then I realised I didn't particularly want to do it anyway.
    Nah, I did maths 2 years before I was in 2nd CS. Meant I got away with being a little lazier last year than I should have...

Advertisement