Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odysseus's Journey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Sorry that link didn't work but they can be found in the MDS/New Balance section on the side menu.

Thurday 11th Dec.

Ran 12k carrying 13.5kg 1.13:28.

My stomach was a tad upset over the weekend so I took it off. Now I have a lot of work issues to address so I won't get to run until this Thursday.

Sunday 21th Dec.

Ran 10k 55:07

So its ten day since I have trained, but these things happen sometimes and you just have to adapt. My plan was to get back into the swing of things with some bag-work but ended up sayinf fcuk it I'll go for a run. My times for that distance is slow but sometime I find when I'm training for longer distance I just since to slip into a pace, I carried no weight today but the time would more than likely have been the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Fair play, always hard to get back into it after a week+ off as the memory of your last run is still fresh enough but the legs are not up to matching it. Good to take a rest though as you have a lot of work ahead of you for MdS.

Best of luck with the training and races in 2009. I'll pop in from time to time and check up on you :)

Monday 22nd Dec.

Ran 12k carrying 13.5kg 1.12:08.

I enjoyed tonights runs hopefully thats me back into the swing of things.

• Advertisement

Friday 26th Dec.

Ran 12k carrying 13.5kg. 1.10:52.

The first half of the run just felt like hard work but things settled down for the second part. There was a guy in the park playing some bag-pipes bit of a surreal moment when I heard him playing over my mp3 player. Guess someone was trying out their christmas present.

Saturday 27th Dec.

Ran 32k 3.15:14.

Todays run did not go to plan, I had hoped to do 50k. However something just didn't feel right. I put it do to trying to get one last run out of my trainiers. My new are down in Dublin and trying to cut down on space in my backpack I just brought the ordontics with me last night.

I belive that a similar occurrence with trainiers was a factor in my bad day out in Lapland this year. So I called it at 32k, still don't know if it was just in my head, but I can't afford any more injuries at this point so I was taking no chances.

Monday 29th Dec.

Ran 12k carrying 13.5kg 1.11:38.

Thursday 1st Jan.

Ran 12k carrying 13.5kg 1.09:41.

Saturday 3rd Jan.

Ran 40k 3.58:54.

I was working through my plan for this month whilst running. The plan for today was 50k, but this Art O'Neill Challenge has throw things a tad off. With doing that next week and I have a few day off the folling week so I plan a few interestring sessions then. So it will be a tough two weeks, so I gave myself a get out of jail free card at the 40k mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Great run - were you carrying any weight on the run?

Peckham wrote: »
    Great run - were you carrying any weight on the run?

Nah not today, just the camelbak which is 3kg when full. During the days I have off in two weeks the plan will be to do 40 and 50k runs will about 18kg including water. Bet that will show a difference in time;)

Art O’Neill Challenge:
    Saturday 10th Jan.
    We kicked off a tad late as Enduro was kindly giving a class on navigation thanks mate it was much appreciated. The first 12-3k was uneventful there was a group of six of running through the streets chatting about various runs. After about 13k the inclines meant that we were starting to take short walking breaks before we would start running again. We made it to Stone’s Cross and I started to find the pace a bit of a struggle, even though it was a normal enough pace for me.

During that 10k the six broke into two groups of three. One of the lads made a decision to walk after about 5k so two of us came into Kippure House together. Time to get some food and liquids down my neck. I had made a mistake in not brining my camlebak with me, I had 1.5lts of sports drink in my bag but the pace we were going with I couldn’t access it. It was a tough 25k, lots of icy patches on the last 10k where it would have been madness to keep running, but we ran where we could. We had access to out spare bag here and thankfully I brought my wet gear with me, I wasn’t planning on doing so but see the other lads taking theirs and I went with that idea. A decision I was thankful for later. After about 10-15 mins the first group decided that they where getting ready to go. That’s what happens when your playing catch up you get in later you lose rest time. There were five of us left, HM and her partner had decided earlier in the night that they were walking after 25k.

As we started out the lad I came in with decided he was going to wait for his mate who had dropped back so that brought us down to a group of four. I have very poor navigation skills, I had a brand new GPS with a route marked out, and it was only from Stone’s Cross that I was learning to use it. Whereas Fred who was leading the group was excellent and had ran the course twice before. However he was a hard task master and kept up a strong pace. I would guess that by 3k we were in two groups of two and roughly after the same again I was by myself. Nothing for it except to keep going. I was a tad worried about my hydration levels I was realising I didn’t have enough fluids with me and I was feeling it. I knew I could fill a water bottle at the next checkpoint so it wasn’t critical.

Next it was the assent up Black Hill. I had been passing out some walkers here and there. However, now I started to notice that their lights where moving in a different direction that I was. When I had a route put in to the GPS for me we only had a basic route outline, so the route that was programmed took a slightly different route. I knew it would get me to the next checkpoint so I went with the GPS. So I was totally alone for the next hour. When I look back on the route now I can see it added about another 5k slog as I came out on a track which led to St Kevin’s way, so I eventually approached the checkpoint from a different location. The were fierce winds up here and the it started to rain, nice I thought I’m separated from the group, its dark, I’m cold and now it rains. Thankfully I had my wet gear, the top was already on and the difference in heat that the bottoms made as soon as I put them on was amazing, they just stopped the wind chill. It only rained for 10 or 15 mins max and it wasn’t too heavy, however it meant that visibility was poor. Then suddenly the rain stopped and as if someone flicked a switch it was daylight.

Another checkpoint more food and drink and I filled up on water. I stayed about 25 mins and HM and her partner came in during that time so we filled each other in on how the night had gone.

So it was on to the last leg, 18k to go or there about and it was now daylight. So I started off by running a couple of k. After getting into bog-land again it was back to walking. I got to the base of Arts Grave and it was like climbing a wall of ice. I was half way up on my second attempt, [my trainers just could not get any purchase on the rock] when I saw HM’s group approaching. I watched as I saw their guide take them around the side and up. I made my way down and joined them. I got to Arts Cross with them and made my way off again. However, I was rigidly following the route on the GPS whilst the guide who of course knew the area like the back of his hand kept taking his own short cuts so I bumped into his group another three times. The last time I left them was at the start of the track to the finish.

I started off running again I had only 4 or so k to go nothing could mess with me now could it. After about 15 mins I noticed the GPS wasn’t agreeing with where I thought I was. I had noticed little differences like this during the night and they corrected themselves after a while. However, the further I went the more it disagreed with me. I started to worry when I started to move up hill again. I stopped and asked some walkers if this was the way to the car-park and they said I just had to finish that climb and it was all down hill.

Nice one I thought but I still wasn’t sure as I move down hill I could see the valley where I should have been. I was coming down the wrong and long way. I was about half way down and I could see the road to the car park and HM moving along it. About 10 mins later I finished tired but happy.

I have to say it was a great night and I met some great people. There was also a lot of learning in it for me. A few of the runners where like me, possessing very basic or no navigational skills. This was niggling away at me since I entered and I allowed it to intimate me too. This had a knock on effect on my outlook on the race and to some degree how I performed. I should have been able to keep that pace but on the night I couldn’t. I didn’t eat well on the Friday, I tried to but just felt full any time I tried to eat, this resulted in me drinking too much coffee which had a knock effect on my hydration levels.

I should have brought my camelbak but didn’t. I was blessed I had the GPS but I got it on Monday and the by the time my mate put the route on it, it was Thursday night before I had it back. I was way to dependent on it sticking rigidly to the route for fear of getting lost. However, I got the in the end. I will be back to do this again and would try different races as I really enjoyed this one. I will need to get some proper navigation skills before I go at it again. Finally I would like to thank all the runners for our little chats and their encouragement along the way, its seems like we all have a good night out, so see you all there next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

same to you.i read your log alot,best of luck wit ur mds trainin.im on d waitlist for 2011,so its good to get a feel of someone elses trainin programme.......fb

Wednesday 14th Jan.

Ran 20k carrying 18kg 2.16:20.

I did feel right the day after the Art O'Neill Challenge and it was the same on Sunday; so I missed Monday's run in the hope that I can make the most of the three days off work I have this week.

The weather was was just horrible out there today but what are you going to do; you just gave to crack on with it. With saying that today was my easy day I will up the distance for the next two days. Hopefully the weather will improve but I won't hold my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

As I said before that's some running Odysseus, I was collecting my daughter from school and I put the younger one on my back and had a bit of a run, I lasted about 200 meters and she aint even near 18 Kg in weight, great going.

Woddle wrote: »
    As I said before that's some running Odysseus, I was collecting my daughter from school and I put the younger one on my back and had a bit of a run, I lasted about 200 meters and she aint even near 18 Kg in weight, great going.

Cheers mate, you would be suprised how quickly you get used to it, though I reckon it adds about an extra 10+ mins to each hour your out. I droped the weight on my long run to 15kg after woundedknee pointed out that 15kg is the max for the MdS. The other 3kg is from my 3lt camelbak which clips on to my backpack.

In other news I just recieved my gaiters and goggles [in case of a sand strom] today. I still have lots of stuff to pick up and I still need to work out what type of food I will be brining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭woundedknee

Keep up the good work. Have been following your training log and it's very impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Odysseus, Where did you get your stuff.I got my rucksack from likeys but still need to get almost everything else. Had my first rabies jab on Monday and didn't agree with me at all. Puked everywhere!

Odysseus, Where did you get your stuff.I got my rucksack from likeys but still need to get almost everything else. Had my first rabies jab on Monday and didn't agree with me at all. Puked everywhere!

Just PMed you.

• Advertisement

Thursday 15th Jan.

Ran 20k carrying 18kg 2.40:47

It took me an extra 20 mins to cover the same distance as yesterday. I had hoped to go further today, but from the start it just felt like I was running on empty. Hpoefully I by not pushing myself too much today, [even though it was a hard 20k] I can made up for it tomorrow and get a decent distance in.

Friday 16th Jan.

Ran 30k 3.10:33

I don’t know what’s wrong with me at the moment but I just feel drained. I was asleep by 22.30 last night and I had to drag myself out of bed at 09.15 this morning. This is very unlike me.

I knew I wasn’t going to be able for the backpack today so I left the house with just my 3lt camelbak. Even with that I found it hard going part of me wanted to call it at 20k, so I was forced to get the encouragement stick out for the last 10k.

Even my timings tell me something is not quite right last year I would expect to do 30k in around 2.30. I have booked some time off work to try go all out with the backpack this week; so I’m having to adapt that plan and try to make the most of my time off,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Odysseus wrote: »
    Friday 16th Jan.

Ran 30k 3.10:33

I don’t know what’s wrong with me at the moment but I just feel drained. I was asleep by 22.30 last night and I had to drag myself out of bed at 09.15 this morning. This is very unlike me.

I knew I wasn’t going to be able for the backpack today so I left the house with just my 3lt camelbak. Even with that I found it hard going part of me wanted to call it at 20k, so I was forced to get the encouragement stick out for the last 10k.

Even my timings tell me something is not quite right last year I would expect to do 30k in around 2.30. I have booked some time off work to try go all out with the backpack this week; so I’m having to adapt that plan and try to make the most of my time off,

Be fair to yourself Odysseus, you've racked up some serious training this week:eek:, the body's gonna start fighting for rest at some stage! Looks like you have a hard week planned for next week, so how 'bout giving fellow 1000 mile challengers a break taking a couple of easy runs this weekend to refresh?

Cheers, I will have plently of rest next week, as it was this week I was going to go all out, its just not happening though. I'll just make do with tomorrow and hopefully Sunday; then I back in Dublin and don't think I will be able to run until about Thursday. I'm sure you guys will have overtaken me by then;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Hey Odysseus. Why are you running with the bck pack ?
    Are you training for Marathon de Sables or something similar ?

Hey Odysseus. Why are you running with the bck pack ?
    Are you training for Marathon de Sables or something similar ?

MdS it is:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Odysseus wrote: »
    MdS it is:eek:

I spotted that in the lonely planet 'a year of adventures' book a week ago and finally made the link to HM mentioning the 'MdS' event. I had assumed it was just a regular marathon somewhere til I finally read up on it. You guys are nuts! :eek:

(For the record, nuts is what I aspire to ;) ).

kingQuez wrote: »
    I spotted that in the lonely planet 'a year of adventures' book a week ago and finally made the link to HM mentioning the 'MdS' event. I had assumed it was just a regular marathon somewhere til I finally read up on it. You guys are nuts! :eek:

(For the record, nuts is what I aspire to ;) ).

Cheers mate after a day like today I sometimes think so myself; and I qualified to diagnose myself as a nanna;)

Saturday 17th Jan.

Ran 40k 4.22:15.

Same thing this morning, I had to pull myself out of bed at 09.10. I wasn't going to let feeling fooked up stop me. I left the backpack at home again [not part of the plan] and headed out with just the camelbak.

The plan was to try and make up for a crappy week so I was aiming for 40k. After about 10k the weather started to turn quite sh!tty. So it was a case for just cracking on with it. I was checking my time and though I felt ok I was slower that normal. I done 40k in just under 4 hrs last month and I thought that was a tad slow for me. However, I try not to get caught up in timings I just use them as a gauge of where I'm at.

It was funny I was just coming up to the marker which tells me I have 5k left, it was lashing down. This young lad pulls up in his car and asks if I need a lift; I thanked him and sent him on his way. I couldn't tell him that I was actually enjoying myself!

Anyway crap weather but really enjoyed the run today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

gret runnin odyseuss ....youl need all d hard miles for that long day at d mds.....

Advertisement