Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Odysseus's Journey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Sunday 4th March.

One hour of bag-work.

I left out the drill today as I am just over a stomach bug, its a tad ironic that I ate in a refugee camp for six days, tried some goat and camel; yet I was dropped by some iffy pasta in Madird Airport!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kindle

Its a little late but just wanted to say congratulations on your achievement! :)

kindle wrote:
    Its a little late but just wanted to say congratulations on your achievement! :)

Cheers mate.

Tuesday 6th March.

One hour of bag-work followed hp/pu/mc drill in 7.28.

I'm seem to be back in form after the stomach bug, so I hope to running again within a few days as I have a 60k ultra in a few weeks and apart from the marathon last week I haven't gotton much running done for two and a half weeks. I hope to get a 50k training run in before the ultra.

Just a quick update, I must be mad to want to do this, but yesterday I registered for the 2009 Marathon Des Sables, I won't know for a few days yet, whether I have been accepted, but from what I can tell it looks good if I got this far, even though of course its a long way off and anything can happen in-between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Odysseus wrote:
    Just a quick update, I must be mad to want to do this, but yesterday I registered for the 2009 Marathon Des Sables, I won't know for a few days yet, whether I have been accepted, but from what I can tell it looks good if I got this far, even though of course its a long way off and anything can happen in-between.

I've only stumbled accross this log. Congrats on the Sahara run. You should know by now if you're in MdS 09. I'm doing it too. I don't think we've met but I've done Dublin, Port tunnel and lapland also. The desert is going to be a new one for me. I've done ironman triathlons in extreme heat before but they have thousands of supporters and km markers. MdS is going to be completely different.

I've only stumbled accross this log. Congrats on the Sahara run. You should know by now if you're in MdS 09. I'm doing it too. I don't think we've met but I've done Dublin, Port tunnel and lapland also. The desert is going to be a new one for me. I've done ironman triathlons in extreme heat before but they have thousands of supporters and km markers. MdS is going to be completely different.

Hi Hunnymonster, cheers, the Shara run was a tester for me to see what a desert environment is like. I intended to go back to that marathon for the next two years as prep work. I got the e-mail today saying I was accepted:) I think I will have a lot to learn in the meantime. Its nice to know someone from boards will be there too, we must keep in touch maybe we can exchange ideas about the experience.

yeah sounds good. At the moment you're one up on me having run in the desert. My main fear at the moment is carrying the weight. I run to and from work quite a bit. It's only 10 miles but even with a rucksack with only work clothes in it I can feel a pinch in my back. That said I have the weakest upper body ever which is something I've started to address over the last month.

What race have you got coming up that your long runs will be 80-90km for? Next up for me is the connemara ultra on 1st april. I only entered it a forthnight ago (long story and favours pulled in) so not really had an ideal run up but I'll get a couple of longish runs in and I'll survive it though I don't expect to win.

Wednesday 7th Feb.

90 minute MA class.

Yeah the back pack will be new to me too. I doing the Connemara Ultra myself and the plan was then that I was going to Lapland again, so the 80-90k were planned training runs as opposed to organised ones. At the moment I reconsidering Lapland will either go ahead with it this year, or wait til next year.

I'll prob see you in Galway so. There seem to be only about 100 people doing the ultra.

Friday 9th March.

Ran 12.5k 1.01.18 Lunch time run.

Hunnymonster I keep an eye out for you at the start line.

Saturday 10th March.

Ran 30k 2.51.13.

I try not to get too caught up on my timings, but today was 10-15 minutes slower than my usual time for this distance. I think it may be a combination of missing training due to being ill and it was also very windy up by me today, which would have added a few minutes on to it.

• Advertisement

Sunday 11th March.

One hour of bag-work followed by hp/pu/mc drill in 7.04.

Today was decision time for me around the Lapland 100k Ultra and I have registered for it, so its going to be a tough few months of training ahead;)

Monday 12th March.

Ran 12.5k 1.02.20. Lunch time run.

Tuesday 13th March.

Ran 20k 1.45.57.

I normally don't get to run on a Tuesday, but I took advantage of the good weather as I had the day off work.

Friday 16th March.

Ran 12.5k 58.10. Lunch time run.

Training hasn't been going the best for me this week, due to bike problems. I was without transport for a few day, so I missed a bag-work session as well as my MA class:mad:

Odysseus, by bike do you mean a lazy type cc bike? Would it be practical for you to get man-power bike? I found my running improved without even trying as I did more cycling. Your HR is limited on the bike so you spend much more time in the aerobic zones heloing to build endurance. There are also less things to go wrong.

Firday 17th March. Evening session.

One of of bag-work. No drill.

After writing my previous post on missing some training I decided to choose between cleaning my house or doing an hour on the bag, the bag won;)

Odysseus, by bike do you mean a lazy type cc bike? Would it be practical for you to get man-power bike? I found my running improved without even trying as I did more cycling. Your HR is limited on the bike so you spend much more time in the aerobic zones heloing to build endurance. There are also less things to go wrong.

Yep, its a "lazy bike", as I live a little over 80k from my work a push bike wouldn't really work out for me, though as you said it would have its benefits. By the way I got my race number for Connemara 91, so say hello if you see me.

Saturday 17th March.

Ran 50k. 5.36.47.

I was quite anxious about doing a long run after hearing the weather forecast last night, but I was lucky. It was very windy in parts, but there was no other nastiness. The run was fine, well as as as running that distance can be. I did my usual run 20k followed by a twenty minute rest and off again, so there were two rest periods involved.

Sunday 18th March.

One hour of bar-work followed by hp/pu/mc drill in 7.17.

I was quite stiff this morning from the run yesterday so some bag-work was ideal to lossen me back up again.

<cough> http://www.ambitionevents.com/mos/itinerary.htm </end cough>

I'm very tempted by this!

• Advertisement

Monday 20th March.

Ran 12.5k 58.42. Lunch time run.

<cough> http://www.ambitionevents.com/mos/itinerary.htm </end cough>

I'm very tempted by this!

Yeah that looks really interesting, not this year though I'm running out of permission slips from my grilfriend. Still I'm going to save that web-site and usually that means I get around to doing it;)

Monday 20th March.

Evening session.

One hour of bag-work followed by heel-palm/push drill in 4.15.

I did'nt think I would get an evening session in, but was able to squeeze one in. I have dropped the mountain climbers out of my drill at the end. I may have been getting something out of them but I was'n't enjoying it. So I sticking with just the heel-palms and push-up at the moment whilst I think of something else to add.

Wednesday 21th March.

90 minute MA class.

Friday 23rd March.

Ran 12.5k 56.44. Lunch time run.

I don't pay too much attention to times, I only keep a track of them as a general indication of having a good or a bad day out. However, I pleased with todays time as its my fastest for that run.

Friday 23rd March. Evening session.

One hour of bag-work followed by heel-palm/push-up drill in 4.09.

Saturday 24th March.

Ran 30k 2.32.43.

It was nice weather to run in for a change, for once their were no sharpe breezes to fight against.

• Advertisement

Monday 26th March.

Ran 12.5k 58.30. Lunch time run.

Sunday 1st April.

Connemara Ultra-Marathon 60k 6.37.29.

I was a tad anxious about the race as I caught a cold during the week, always seems to happen to me before a race. However, it was a good day out and I am happy enough with my time. A little bit stiff today but I now need to carry on and plan a 70k training run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Congrats though, thats quite a distance.

Odysseus, Congrats. It wasn't the easiest of courses so your cold would have really hurt you in the latter stages. I did look around for you at the start but couldn't pick you out.

Cheers, hunnymonster I was trying to keep an eye out for you at the start line, but everybody was trying to sort their kit out it was difficult to see race numbers. Ah well I'm sure I'll bump into you at some other race. Hope you had a good day out too;)

• Advertisement

Tuesday 3rd April.

One hour of bag-work followed by heel-palm/push-up drill in 4.07.

Wednesday 4th April.

90 min MA class, really enjoyed last night as we did some tough drill and I got to hit people;)

Thursday 5th April.

Ran 20k 1.38.45.

Had a really nice run the weather was wonderful.

Friday 6th April.

Ran 12k 59.10.

Was hoping to get a longer distance in today, especially as the weather is so good, but unfortunately I have other stuff to do:mad: Though with a bit of luck I will get an evening session in.

Friday 6th April. Evening session.

One hour of bag-work followed by heel-palm/push-up drill in 4.03.

Saturday 3rd April.

Ran 20k 1.39.40.

I have a few days off from training now so I can relax now. Overall I am pleased with the last three days training. I had hoped to do 20k, 30k, 40k but I just had other things to do that I had been putting off, sometimes you just have to compromise.

Tuesday 10th April.

One hour of bag-work followed by heel-palm/push-up drill in 4.03.

What's up next for you Odysseus?

What's up next for you Odysseus?

I have the Bupa 10k on Sunday, I like that particular race as in 2003 it was the frist organised run I took part in, never imagined I would cover the distances I do now:) Also I used to always run in the park and miss that since I left Dublin. I also have few mates that are getting into running and they are doing so it wil be a bit of fun. Though I hate the ways all the walkers want to be up the front and block your way.

The Lapland Ultra 100k is the big one for me this year that's the end of June. After that I know I do Dublin but also thinking of doing Longford as I enjoyed it down there last year. I have been luckly this year in that Lapland was my destination, but the journey through the Sahara and Connemara have been wonderful, which made them more than just training runs.

Wednesday 11th April.

90 minute MA class.

• Advertisement

Friday 13th April.

Ran 12.5k 57.38.

The weather is just amazing at the moment great running weather, lets hope it lasts.

Saturday 14th April.

Ran 30k 2.31.20.

This weather is just great, it makes up for all the cold pissy runs I do during the winter. I feel I am a bit behind on my training plan, I took on some private work that is invading my training time, but it will be done soon. Preparing 12hrs of lectures on mental health can affect your own mental health! On top of I have a little niggle in my right hip which I am a tad concrened about, but with saying all that I am trying to plan a day where I can get a 70k training run in. I trained up to 80k last year for Lapland, I am aiming to try 90k this time. As the last 20k last year where a killer, though adding an extra 90k training may not make much difference on that score, I'm sure it will still hurt.

Sunday 15th April.

BUPA Great Run 10k 42.13.

Really enjoy running in the park today apart from the slow start. However, as good day was had as I was running with a few mates and was first back.

Saturday 21th April

Ran 40k 4.04.40

I have been so busy this week that I had to miss some training sessions which is really unlike me. Today was supposed to be my 70k training run which I have had to postpone hopefully, next week, but at least I got 40 in.

Saturday 28th April.

One hour of bag-work followed by heel-palm/push-up drill in 4.12.

Both my personal life and work life are hetic at the mnoment, so not much time for training. In addition to this I have an unexpected trip to Spain in a few week. So I'm going to have to re-arrange ny training plan for Lapland.

Sunday 29 April.

Ran 10k 45.41.

Good to be running again, however the gods of running are not smiling on me at the moment my mp3 died on me whilst running:mad: My diet has been very bad during my time off so its time to start addressing that side of things again.

Monday 14th May.

Ran 12.5k 56.53.

First run in over two weeks, it was great to be back. I'm having some hip problems at the moment, so I have some x-rays organised for Thursday as a first step to try see what the problem is.

Friday 18th May.

Ran 12.5k 56.38. Lunch time run.

21th May.

ran 12.5k 56.17. Lunch time run

• Advertisement

26th May.

Ran 40k 3.58.51

My first long run in a few weeks so there was a bit of a psychological battle going on this morning, then I checked the calander and seen how little time is left before Lapland:eek: The run was fine the last 10k was particularly nasty it lashed down really badly, I had a couple of cars pull in beside me asking if I wanted a lift, but that's just not acceptable.

My plan is to increase my long run by 10k each week until I get to 70k, its far from perfect, I perfer to have a lot more control over things that I have a the moment, but that's life, its time to adapt and overcome, it should be a interesting month at the least. I was hoping to train up to 90k but if I get to 70k it will just have to do, at least this year I have the psychological confidence of know I have done this before.

Advertisement