Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Odysseus's Journey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'd love to live where people stop to offer you a lift, aand better still it's sport not fear that prevents you accepting :-)

Knowing you've done it before will really help. I know some people when traing for ironman put two longish sessions back to back. I don't know if it's possible for you but if you could do a morning and evening say 30 & 30 km session some day it kindo of simulates a much longer run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

That's what I like about here, they were a tad perplexed that I did'nt take their offer up. I think about try a am and evening run but I'm not really a morning person unless its a race. At least my hip lasted the pace today, still waiting x-ray report, but of luck with yours.

Sunday 27th May.

One hour of bag-work.

I would have liked to go for a run today but my hip was a tad stiff this morning, plus it looks like the rain go into my MP3 player and I hate training without music. However, I have been neglecting the MA side of my training so a bit of bag-work won't go amiss.

It's pretty serious rain. It looks like the guys currently doing the grand union canal will be swimming into London!

Tuesday 29th May.

Ran 10k 45.52. Got a new MP3 sorted:)

• Advertisement

Friday 1st June.

Ran 10k 45.05.

Saturday 2nd June.

Ran 40k 4.40.23.

I'm not pleased with todays outcome. I had planned to do at least 50k and was thinking of going for 60k. It all started fine but after 14k I developed a stitch which added an extra fifteen mins on my normal time by the time I reached my 20k rest point. 20 mins rest as usual and off I go, after a couple of k it started again and just continued to get worse. I was forced to keep reducing my speed which was'nt fast and for the last 6k I was taking walking breaks. I have'nt a clue was went on today, but it was so bad by 40k that I called it a day. I'm off to chill for a little bit now because I am not a happy bunny:mad:

Tuesday 5th June.

Ran 12.5k 55.36. Lunch time run.

I'm off for another run to try make up for Saturday's nightmare.

Tuesday 5th June.

Evening Session.

Ran 20k 1.42.00

The stitch came back about the 14k again, but was not as severe, I can't work this out, its something I don't usually suffer from, my pace was my normal pace, my breathing was regulated fine, so I'm a tad stumped. I normally wouldn't bother about this but my big race of the year is only 24 days away, I think its going to be a difficult two weeks or so.

Wednesday 6th June.

Ran 12.5k 57.08 Lunch time run.

• Advertisement

Saturday 9th June.

Ran 80k 10.29.00

Well today was D-Day, I think this is going to be my longest run before Lapland, may a 60k and 40k we see how it goes. I am really pleased that its done, its a psychological boost, but I'm a tad disapointed with the timings I was hoping for a little better, but not to worry.

I kept a close eye on my pace to try avoid any problems and it seemed to work, but with those timing I don't think I will beat last years time of 12.18. However, at the end of the day that is minor I'm not going to win this its about finishing the course for me. Today really hurt, but that's to be expected, due to life imposing on my training and a couple of bad days out, I have gone from 40k to 80k, so of course its going to hurt. Getting out of bed will be interesting in the morning, I usually have to walk on tippy-toes at first after a day like this;)

Monday 11th June.

Ran 12.5k 58.27. Lunch time run.

Tuesday 12th June.

Ran 20k 1.48.13.

My usual training days are all messed up this week due to family committments and a friend visiting, so I'm just trying to get the miles in where I can.

Thursday 14th June.

One hour of bag-work.

I was hoping to get a long run into but the best laid plans etc. Though I have to admit I have been missing my KM so I really enjoyed the bag-work.

Monday 18th June.

Ran 12k. Nice easy pace.

My training is all over the place, so the plan is I fly off next Wednesday, so I'm hoping for too small runs and one long run, still trying to decide on whether the long one will be 40 or 60k as that will happen on Staurday and the race is the following Friday night/Saturday morning, it starts at 22.00hrs. If I have the time I'm going to try and get some bag work in later.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Odysseus wrote:
    I'm going to try and get some bag work in later.

Bag work as in boxing?

edit - agh ok.. read back from page 1 and see you mean martial arts.

Monday June 18th.

One hour of bag-work.

Really needed this tonight, I had a difficult weekend so I had a lot to work through;)

BossArky wrote:
    Bag work as in boxing?

edit - agh ok.. read back from page 1 and see you mean martial arts.

Hi mate, I find it a good way of cross training and it also gives me a break from running.

Friday 22th June.

Ran 12.5k 55.56. Very wet lunch time run.

Saturday 23rd June.

Ran 30k 2.55.25.

I just took it very easy today hence such a slow time for that distance, I had planned to stay out longer but real life requires me to sort some stuff out later. Anyway I suppose I'm as ready now as I'll ever be, I have a lunch time run planned for Moday and that's it then. I am also planning a six week break for running once I get back.

• Advertisement

Monday 25th June.

Ran 12.5k. 55.27.

Well that it now relax for the next few days well as much as you can when your going through all the hassel of airports!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Odysseus wrote:
    Monday 25th June.

Ran 12.5k. 55.27.

Well that it now relax for the next few days well as much as you can when your going through all the hassel of airports!

I take it your race is soon then? Good Luck!!

ali.c wrote:
    I take it your race is soon then? Good Luck!!

Cheers thnks Ali, currently in Stockholm airport waiting for my connecting flight, then its a waiting game until Friday night at 22.00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

Best of luck!!

Best of luck mate. I'm never quite sure if it's better when you know what's up ahead or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

hey good luck man

Cheers thanks to all of you. The weather is a tad cloudy here but hopefully no rain tomorrow night. @ hunnymonster I know what you mean, there is a very nasty hill at the 82k mark, it destoryed me last year, it just goes on forever, I was hoping that it would'nt do that to me again, but we will have to wait and see.

Saturday 30th June.

Lapland Ultra 100k 11.45.

I will get my offical time tonight, but I'm up on last years 12.18 so apart from all the pain I'm in I happy with that. I'll give a full report later when I'm more awake.

congrats!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cloris

Looking forward to you comeing home:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

congrats man

well done. THat's an impressive chunk off last years time Excellent considering the difficult run up you had.

cloris wrote:
    Looking forward to you comeing home:)

Looking forward to being there, it makes a nice first post;)

Cheers thanks everybody, I will a long post to write up when I get back as there was a lot of learning for me again.

Lapland Ultra Report.

I'm doing this in a few posts as I had just written it out and this computer had logged me off so that it not happening again.

My start was my normal pace, and I was with the leading pack for the first 22k until my first pit-stop. However, this always causes my some amount of anxiety as I don't belong there. This is not me putting myself down, just a case of knowing my own limitations. These people possess running abilities that I just don't and to be honest never will.

My first pit-stop was at 22k for 20 mins, where I had my usual two servings of instant carbo. Every long distance run presents us with some type of personal battle, mine came around the 25k mark in the form of stomach problems. I having been using instant carbo for the past 9 months so I don't think it was that, I have recently been put on some anti-imflammorties and have had stomach difficulties with these in the past. However, I have been on these new ones about a month with no problem, and had taken my last dose 14hrs previously. So I'm unsure about the cause.

From the start of my stomach upset I was concerned I might not finish. I was thinking that I may have to take one of the ultras "get out of jail free cards". You can stop at marathon, 63.9, or 81.8k as they are offical stops. However, I came here to run 100k.

• Advertisement

My next pit-stop was at the marathon stage and as I approached I thought I was going to vomit. I halfed my instant carbo and sitting by the fire my t-shirt was covered in sweat and I was shivering. I was offered a blanket and greatfully accepted it. The weather was colder than I had expected for this time of year and I had left my cold gear at home.

After 20mins I cracked on again, telling myself I would get to the 63.9k stage and evaulate it there. I got a pleasent surprise at the 60k mark when I checked my timings and discovered I had do it in 6.19, my timings from the Connemara ultra where 6.38.

My stomach was still iffy at 63k but somewhat more manageable, so I stuck with the half dose of instant carbo. It was here I met a runner who had done his ankle at some point over the 50k of gravel track we had run.

Next stop was at 81.8k my timings here where 9.09 I was still in abit of a sh!t-state, however, I kept telling myself I was having a good day out which I was.

My 80k training run took me over 10hrs, it was here I realised that I could beat last years time; this gave me a hugh psychological boost.

Following my usual 20mins my whole body was aching. I ended up laughing aloud as I found myself thinking that I wasn't going to do this to my body again. It funny how quickly idiocy can over come pain as I knew I would. Knowing that I could finish in under 12hrs would be a hugh personal achievement and I wanted it. I was averging 1k every 7mins quite slow indeed but at least I was moving forward.

From here the goal was to get to the 95k marker as from here each k was marked out, little small goals like that work quite well for me. So with that I crossed the finish line listening to Ride of the Valkyries with my best attempt at a sprint with the offical time of 11.46.05

Congrats again, that is impressive stuff!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Well done, incredible stuff!

Thanks again guys.

Staurday 7th July.

One hour of bag-work, followed by heel-palm/push-up drill 4.22.

The push-ups were hard today as I haven't done that drill for a while. Well I have finished week one of my running break and no sign of withdrawal syndrome as yet. My plan over the coming weeks is not to run for a further five weeks, but during this time I am aiming to get a couple of sessions of bag-work in each week and do some swimming lessons. The hip problems I was encountering awhile ago are due to a back problem, so I was advised to do some swimming to try strenghten it up.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 10th July.

One hour of bag-work, followed by heel-palm/push-up drill in 4.28.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

You're a fearsome athlete mate! Congrats :D

Cheers mate, not sure about the the fearsome athlete though, when I'm in pain I just think I'm a thicK ****;)

from my end, what you did there took a big pair of ripe balls... I felt sick just reading your logs :)
    seriously great achievment, got the PM btw, all in good time mate, no rush.

Odysseus, I like the ound of fearsome athlete. Don't put yourself down. How many people do you know who can run 100km?

Cheers guys, well Jon you could say they were ripe by the end of the 100k. Hunnymonster, its more a case of what I tell myself when the going gets bad, not really a put down, its more a case of enjoying what I do, but giving myself a bit of a hard time for doing if you know what I mean. Believe it or not it actually helps me.

Sunday 15th July.

One hour of bag-work followed by heel-palm/push-up drill in 4.14.

Tuesday 17th July.

One hour of bag-work.

Tuesday 24 July.

One hour of bag-work.

I went very heavy on the bag tonight, I had a very issues to work through, better that ten therapy sessions! Because of this I left out the heel-palm drill as I was wrecked at the end. Well I have been planning ahead slightly, I have signed up for the half marathon and arranged my swimming lessons, though they won't start until the beginning of Sept.

Do you have rest days man? :)

I'm unfamilar with the concept mate;) I'm on a rest period at the moment. I haven't ran for three weeks and today was the first time I trained in a week. Usually I aim for three runs a week and two bag sessions. I'm having difficulties getting to classes so relying solely on the bag for SD training, not idea as you know, the bag doesn't hit back. Cheers mate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement