Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Odysseus's Journey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Sahara Marathon Race Report.

I am going to do this report in a few posts as I find I often get logged out if I spend too long on one post.

The whole trip was somewhat overshadowed for me by some news I recieved hours before I departed relating to my father's health. Therefore, it was a difficult decision to make as to whether I would travel or not.

Whilst I am pleased with my time 4.16:34 and it is faster than last years by approx 25 mins. I feel I could have done a lot better [less than 4 hours] if my quad was not acting up. Close to the half-marathon stage it started to hurt. So even taking into consideration the heat and terrain, ect I would have been really pleased with a sub 4hrs for the desert but I'm still happy with 4.16.

Speaking of which the last hour of the race was really hot! Though it was interesting to see at the start of the race at 9.00am there was still a large patch of ice on the ground near to the start point. It was the first time I had seen ice in the desert.

I have no way of knowing the exact temp on the day but an estimate would be 30 degrees plus with low humidity. Terrain wise the route was similar to last year; up to half-marathon mostly rocky desert which gives the knees quite a pounding, there was some soft sand but not a lot up too this point.

The next 10k involved a lot of sand dunes, its amazing how even a small amount of soft sand saps ones strenght, its like threading water. After this it is a mixture of rocky desert and soft sand.

The big bummer is the refugee camp is visible for the last five or six miles, you think your close to home but your not; at least I was wise to it this year.

We were lucky with the weather this year as most of the day were very overcast and windy creating sand storms requiring a buff or shemag, so at least they were not needed on race day.

My personal learning from last year was making sure I had proper procetion for my head and neck; as well as only taking very small sips of water from my camelbak very frequently, which of course decided to leak in the desert.

One of the big difference from me this year was getting extra carbs down me during the race at half-marathon and 30k. I had a serving of instant carbo at each, thanks Jon.

Personally I find it difficult to run without music so some highlights for me were running in that type of heat listening to:

1. Tom Harks. The Piranhans.
    2. Mr Blue Sky. ELO
    3. Perfect Day. Lou Reed.

The last two wre in 30+ degrees.

With about 800m to go I was over taken by two guys in their late fifities, but at 500m I put my usually finish song/performance cue Ride of the Valkyries on and sprinting to the finish line overtook them. They were not overly amused.

My report is a tad short compared to last years one but that is it for this years race. I'm still not at home in my own home yet and will post those pics for Bossarky later on tonight. But just too say there is so much more involved in this race that just the marathon having the opportunity to spend five days with the Saharawi people, living in the conditions that they live in all year round is a wonderful yet very humbling experience. Anybody who runs I would recommend it to, its a pity I have a different big race on next year so I can not go back then.

Sunday 2nd March.

Ran 20k. 1.58:38.

I try not to focus too much on my timings as I'm not the fastest runner in anyway, they are more a general indication of where I'm at for me, but I'm not impressed at the moment. I had planned a 30 or 40k for this weekend, but I didn't get to run yesterday and as I will be going for a lunch time run tomorrow I hope I kept it to 20k.

Sorry BossArky I can't seem to attach those pics, maybe its my age I'm know good at learning new things now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi Odysseus congratulations on the marathon sounds fantastic ,like you said not just the run but the whole expierance. great time as well, i can only imagine what its like to run in those conditions on one hand its sounds like utter madness but on the other what a fantastic challenge to come through
    well done and good luck in your future events

• Advertisement

Cheers thanks Sungod, with a name like that you should consider it yourself;) Your spot on the marathon is what brought me there last year and I want to use this year as a training ground for the MdS, but there are other desert runs, it was the people I experienced that brought me back this year. Here you see the impact that you are making, I dislike running for charities here as a lot of them are run like businesses and that just puts me off you don't know if your money is just paying someones wages.

Ran 12.5k 1.01:45 Lunch time run.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr the winds very icey today.

Friday 7th March.

Ran 12.5k 1.01:21 Lunch time run.

My whole training and running plan for this year is currently up in the air. I still hope to get to Connemara for the ultra next month, but Lapland is uncertain. The best I can do at the moment is try to still train as if I'm going to these events and take it from there. Its unfortunate but a necessity at the moment. Doing your share in dealing with a serious family illness, whilst looking after those close to you requires some form of sacrifice, and if it means you miss one of two events so be it, they will be there next year.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Good race account - you are insane!

Hope the other things work out for you.

BossArky wrote: »
    Good race account - you are insane!

Hope the other things work out for you.

Cheers mate thanks. As a psychoanalyst I concur with you diagnosis;)

• Advertisement

Saturday 8th March.

Ran 30k 2.41:19.

Much happier with today timing. It was a mixed run I was hoping to do 50k today but other things prevented that so I'm hoping to get it done next week. I'm finding it difficult to maintain my normal psychological strenght and motivation at the the moment. The first 12k were difficult on account of the above, then a cock pheasant ran beside me; well about three feet away for about 20 seconds, funny how little things like that can make a difference.

Edit: Forgot to mention I test a new pair of mizuno's out today. Hopefully these will last for a while

Monday 10th March.

Ran 12.5k 57:49. Lunch time run

Saturday 15th March.

Ran 50k 5.23:14

I missed yesterdays session but at least I have the prep work done for next month. Even though I'm still not sure if I'm going. Weather was horrible up by me but what are you supposed to do, stay in because its cold and wet? I bet it must be good for the psyche inanyway.

For anyone interested in endurance stuff I just finished Mike Stroud's Survival of the fittess. Its a mixture of his personal experience of various endurance work mixed with his theory that the human body is built for this type of work. The theory side coming form his medical and anthropological training. Well worth a read.

Tuesday 18th March.

Ran 10k 47:14

On a positive note as I'm not doing anything else apart from running at the moment I started doing 100 push-ups on the days I'm not running. On a negative note I have been back on the smokes for the past month and need to adress this.

Friday 21st March.

Ran 18k 1.37:56

This was a bad week for training I was planning to have an easy week but nothing like this. Helping to look after my dad is working out around the equivalent of another another working week at the moment.

The plan for today was to do 40k but that was dropped to 30k as I was tight on time, but as I was running I just felt drained, I could have do the 30 even the 40k but I feel like I'm running on empty, so time to rest a little.

I have decided to withdraw from the Connemara 60k not because of the above, but because the have banned MP3 players, but I'm going ahead with the Lapland 100k and have arranged my accomodation for it. Finally on another positive note I smoke my last two smokes this morning and hope to stay off them this time. I'm off to bed now to take an hour or two of the time I'm owed back.

Wednesday 26th March.

Ran 12.5k 1.00:03. Lunch time run.

Well I have had a bit of a break and its time to try adjust my training around everything else. Still off the smokes but finding it hard!

Friday 28th March.

Ran 40k 3.50:14.

I had to take a day off work so that I could get a long run in this week, but I feel much better after doing it. Its good to be doing proper distances again. I'm still off the smokes but feeling drained so I think I'll start a course of ginsgen that usually gives me more psychical energy and thats where this battle is raging. That's the worse thing about being a mental health professional you can't blame your stresses on other factors;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Hey Odysseus, been trying to catch up on your log from start to finish and it makes great reading. I've always felt that once anybodys fitness gets to any reasonable level then the running is more a mental process that a physical one. At the moment I have total tunnel vision with my program and seeing the results (albeit small at this stage) keeps my focus.

50K runs are always impressive! Great stuff looking forward to seeing where the journey goes!

ike wrote: »
    Hey Odysseus, been trying to catch up on your log from start to finish and it makes great reading. I've always felt that once anybodys fitness gets to any reasonable level then the running is more a mental process that a physical one. At the moment I have total tunnel vision with my program and seeing the results (albeit small at this stage) keeps my focus.

50K runs are always impressive! Great stuff looking forward to seeing where the journey goes!

Cheers thank for that Ike. I'm not sure where its going to end myself. I have the MdS next year, and I am starting to put together a plan for 2010 which could be interesting, but after that its a case of seeing how long my body will allow me to keep going like this;)

Monday 31th March.

Ran 12.5k lunch time run.

Today was the first time this year I ran without a hat and wearing a running vest, even though its a far cry from summer yet it was nice to feel the sun today.

I had to cancel a short run yesterday at the last moment, so I hoping that this week I will get back to normal with 2 short runs and a long one.

• Advertisement

Odysseus wrote: »

Today was the first time this year I ran without a hat and wearing a running vest, even though its a far cry from summer yet it was nice to feel the sun today.

QUOTE]

hi Odysseus its great is'nt it , running free without feeling like an onion.
    roll on the summer

SUNGOD wrote: »

QUOTE]

hi Odysseus its great is'nt it , running free without feeling like an onion.
    roll on the summer

Yeah its nice alright, its really a question of how much we get of it this year, but even the odd day here and there makes a big difference.

Saturday 5th April.

Ran 30k 2.35:47

Really enjoyed the run today and the nice weather really lifted my mood. I only managed two runs yet again this week but it will have to do.

I was a bit concerned about my leg I had a very minor incident on my bike this week in the wet and I put a bit of strain on it, which is not very good as I have a significant amount of metal work in it from a bike accident when I was a lot younger, christ when I think about it, it was over 15 years ago. Now I feel old. Anyway it felt ok today so hopefully everthing is good.

I was supposed to be doing the Connemara Ultra tomorrow but pulled out due to the banning of MP3s so I have to plan a 60k for this month.

Still of the smokes and the ginesng seem to be helping with my energy levels.

30K in 2:35 - that very nice running indeed! I've started to run without my Ipod as I was seriously addicted to running with it, I find my concentration a lot better without it. Although in fairness I'm only running up to 5 miles at the moment. I only use it now when I'm running indoors on the threadmill.

Are you going to try and wean yourself off it or would that combined with the smokes push you over the edge! :D Must take a lot of resolve to run 60K!

ike wrote: »

Are you going to try and wean yourself off it or would that combined with the smokes push you over the edge! :D Must take a lot of resolve to run 60K!

As far I'm concerned the MP3 Nazi's can Fook off, if they are banned I just won't run in that race, I like to run with music and I don't believe its a safety issue so I will be voting with my feet.

As regards the 60k you just get used to it, it I am going to do 100k in June it just has to be done.

Cheers mate.

Sunday 06th April.

Ran 12k 53.56.

After finishing up in my parents I slipped put for a run down the park. I could see everyone getting ready for the BUPA run, pity I missed that.

Monday 07th April.

Ran 8.5k 40:10 Lunch time run.

Shorter than usual but I tripped at about the 6k mark and smashed one of my ear phones so I called it at 8.5k. I couldn't be bothered doing another lap without music, at least there were no injuries from the fall.

Saturday 19th April.

Ran 10k 50:28

My father passed away early on Monday morning, so I have been suffering from sleep loss and really bad diet; I never realised there was so much involved in organising funerals. However, apart from being back on the smokes which I will address over the coming weeks I'm starting to get my focus back. I'm taking abit of time of from work so that will help me get re-focused. Todays 10k was a compromise I was planning 30 or 40k but just could get motivated so I said I would do the 10k just to get out there, take it easy and it felt good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Sorry to hear that, lack of motivation is totally understandable at times like that so don't beat yourself up for it. Take some time for dealing with real life and ease yourself back into the fun of running...

• Advertisement

Really sorry for your loss...do what you have to do for now you'll know when the time feels right to run.

Odysseus really sorry to hear about your loss, try look after your mind and body firstly and the running will look after itself.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Sorry to hear about your Father passing away. Take your time. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Sorry for you loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Also very sorry for your loss, hope to hear your back on the road and doing well

Thanks to you all for your kind thoughts, I been away from the net for afew days so it was nice to see all your condolences when I signed back on today. Its time too get back on the road again, the one thing he wouldn't want is me taking it too easy. He used to love hearing about the next unusal race I had just signed up for. So I decided to run the MdS next year for Our Lady's Hospice who helped us so much in the past two months.

• Advertisement

Monday 21th April.

Ran 12k 55:31.

With staying in Dublin I got one of my rare chances to run in the Phoenix Park, giving me some time to work on things in my mind.

Wednesday 23rd April.

Ran 20k 1.53:29.

Lovely day for running my local country roads. Just a few updates I have not got a back pack and plan to start back pack running on my lunch time runs, when I start back in work next week. I will start off with 5kg and build it up from there over time. I was also in contact with the hospice today about the MdS the next step is to set up a my charity web page. Still smoking and my diet is not fully back on track but that will come.

Ran 40k 3.52:13

Lovely day again, however I believed last nights weather forecast that it would turn nasty as the day when on, so I was runnning in thights, t-shirt and trackie top made things a tad warm.

Its good to get a good run in, but it looks like I need to make a decision now. I had planned a 60k this month that's just not going to happen. So do I do a 60 and a 70k next month or just a 70k. I'm thinking of the easy option just the 70k, thats the world of ultra running for you when the easy option is running 70k;)

hi Odysseus as im still using imperial to calculate distances i get a fright when i convert your runs (60k ,70k and you have a 100k race coming up i think) to miles incredible mileage fair play to ya
    great log best of luck to you

hi Odysseus as im still using imperial to calculate distances i get a fright when i convert your runs (60k ,70k and you have a 100k race coming up i think) to miles incredible mileage fair play to ya
    great log best of luck to you

To be honest sungod I should be doing a tad more in term of long runs, but they basically take up some much time; something I have been short of the past few months. Usually about this time I have to book a day off work once a month to facilitate the really long one.

Your right I have a 100k coming up the end of June its a wonderfull all night event in Swedish Lapland, the organisers and in general the people are really kind, its a race I would recommend. This will be my third time there and I'm really looking forward to it. As well as that I think it will help me psychologically for the MdS next year, even though the are different environments I will have the knowledge that I have done the 100k distance three times.

• Advertisement

Monday 28th April.

Ran 12k 54:47.

An uneventful run in the Phoenix Park.

Wednesday 30th April.

Ran 10k 50:41.

This is my last day off before I start back work tomorrow I was planning on getting 20k in, however, as a result of not sleeping well last night it was near noon before I arose from my bed. Really unusal for me so I just kept it to 10k. My camelbac developed a leak and my arse was fooking wringing by the time I got back but you just have to put up with thses things.

Also I signed up for Lapland last night I have been afaird to sign up because of my Father as we didn't know how much time we have.

hi Odysseus im just asking some of the other runners logs what kind of surfaces do they do run on and how much on each. road, grass, trail, track? i mainly run on road but im trying to vary it as it cant be good for me long term

hi Odysseus im just asking some of the other runners logs what kind of surfaces do they do run on and how much on each. road, grass, trail, track? i mainly run on road but im trying to vary it as it cant be good for me long term

Hi Sungod, for me its mostly road, but anywhere I see a bit of green I aim for that, verges ect. I tried running on my local beach but on long runs I kept getting caught by the tide:o The last time I tried by the time I finished the water was just below my knees.

Friday 2nd May.

Ran 12.5k. 1.07:19. Lunch time run carrying 5kg.

Today was my first attempt at running with a back pack, previously the most I ran with was my 3lt camelbak. So I got one back pack five bags of sugar and some old clothes to stop the bags moving about and filled the back pack. I'm using bags of sugar as it will be easy to add extra weight as time goes on.

My timing for today is interesting it approx 10 minutes longer than usual for that run. I honestly don't know whether it was carrying the weight or psychologically I was taking it easy, because even though its only 5kg it intimadated me a tad. So time will tell on that one.

Running with it was fine, I have some chaffing on my shoulder but I'll get used to that. I could really feel the weight on my lower legs which suprised me.

Saturday 3rd May.

Ran 12k 1.02:19

Man I cannot believe that time for 12k. I try not to focus on my timings but use them as a gereral guide, but that is slow for me. I had to drag myself out of bed at 9.30 on the day of a long run usually up 7.30 and out by 11.00. I went back to bed at 11.30 and it was 3.00pm by the time I was running. I just feel drained today so I don't mind missing my long run this week and if I feel up to it I'll might try a easy 10k in the morning.

Sunday 4th April.

I binned the idead of doing 10k today as I couldn't get out of bed again it was 11.30 by the time I surfaced, so unlike me. I know why to push myself and whe to back. Its time to back off for a few days and rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Sunday 4th April.

I binned the idead of doing 10k today as I couldn't get out of bed again it was 11.30 by the time I surfaced, so unlike me. I know why to push myself and whe to back. Its time to back off for a few days and rest.

Always a sign to rest! Good call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

I notice that bag work seems to feature quite strongly in some of your earlier training. Would be interested in hearing why you've done this rather than other cross-training. Does it not create unnecessary upper-body bulk?

Peckham wrote: »
    I notice that bag work seems to feature quite strongly in some of your earlier training. Would be interested in hearing why you've done this rather than other cross-training. Does it not create unnecessary upper-body bulk?

Its something I miss alot at the moment to be honest Peckham. I'm quite lean in build, so in my case it never added unnecessary bulk. It was part of my training for a few reasons, occassional my job requires me to possess the ability to look after myself, hence my interest in MA.

Additionally its a good way to cross train and you can put a lot of demands on yourself. I was using it to help me train for the the heat involved in running in the desert. It was the only environment I could control in terms of temp, and wearing thermal kit; your know what Irish weather is like, not conductive to training for the Sahara. I hope to start again as I think it will help my with the upper body strenght involved in running with the back-pack, and I just enjoy as well.

With saying this I really wanted to go for a run or even do some bag-work today. Colud see nothing but runners on my way home. However, I said I was going to wait until tommorow, and hopefully I'll get some back-pack running in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement