Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Fixtures - Week 1

• 09-09-2006 1:42pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Saturday, September 9, 2006
    TIME HOME AWAY VENUE
    17:00 UK Roma v Livorno Olimpico
    19:30 UK Fiorentina v Inter Milan Artemio Franchi

Sunday, September 10, 2006
    TIME HOME AWAY VENUE
    14:00 UK AC Milan v Lazio San Siro
    14:00 UK Atalanta v Ascoli Atleti Azzurri d'Italia
    14:00 UK Cagliari v Catania Calcio Sant'Elia
    14:00 UK Chievo Verona v Siena Bentegodi
    14:00 UK Messina v Udinese Stadio San Filippo
    14:00 UK Palermo v Reggina Renzo Barbera
    14:00 UK Sampdoria v Empoli Luigi Ferraris
    19:30 UK Torino v Parma Delle Alpi

[QUOTE=ANDREW DAMPF
    ASSOCIATED PRESS]

he Italian match-fixing scandal has created the most open Serie A season in years.

Juventus was relegated to Serie B, AC Milan starts with an eight-point penalty and Fiorentina begins the season on Sept. 9-10 with a 19-point deficit.

Inter Milan, by process of elimination and numerous high-profile signings, moves from sentimental favourite to top contender. Milan, despite its penalty, AS Roma and Palermo, which also made wholesale changes, are the other main challengers.

Inter spent nearly 50 million euros ($70.9 million Canadian) on seven new players.

Patrick Vieira and Zlatan Ibrahimovic came from Juventus, Hernan Crespo rejoined from Chelsea, and star Italy defender Fabio Grosso transferred north from Palermo.

"Inter has enormous potential. If they're able to keep the group together and find the right spirit they could also win the (Champions) Cup," said Italy and Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon.

Inter was awarded last season's title when Juventus was stripped of the honour. The nerazzurri hadn't won the scudetto since 1989 and will face pressure to confirm their success on the field this season.

Milan has to overcome the loss of striker Andriy Shevchenko to Chelsea, although Filippo Inzaghi and Alberto Gilardino appear up to the task.

Inzaghi scored two goals for Milan to qualify for the Champions League after being relegated to a bench role during the World Cup. Gilardino, who failed to score in 10 Champions League games last season, will want to show that he belongs in his second season with Milan.

AS Roma is counting on Francesco Totti and Vincenzo Montella returning to form.

Totti is still not 100 per cent after a serious left leg and ankle injury in February.

Montella is returning from shoulder and back problems. He missed two-thirds of last season and scored only one goal in 13 games.

"We have to start how we finished last season. We can't let things slip away at the beginning," Montella said.

Roma went on a Serie A record 11-match winning streak in the second half of last season and improved from a horrendous start to finish fourth. It was then promoted to second after sentences were delivered in the scandal.

Palermo has five new players in its starting lineup, including midfielders Aimo Diana and Fabio Simplicio and winger Mark Bresciano.

Coach Francesco Guidolin can also rely on defenders Cristian Zaccardo and Andrea Barzagli from Italy's World Cup squad, and veteran playmaker Eugenio Corini.

"We can really have a good season," said Palermo forward David Di Michele, who was called up to Italy's team for 2008 European Championship qualifiers. "Important new players have arrived, we have a good coach and the competition won't be as thick as the past few years.

"Inter, Milan and maybe Roma are superior, but then we're up there with Sampdoria. It will be a great season, with a lot more uncertainty and battles than the past. Without Juve, there's more space available."

Sampdoria coach Walter Novellino is entering his fifth season with the club and has a reliable attack duo of Francesco Flachi and Emiliano Bonazzoli. Uruguay's Ruben Olivera joined Sampdoria from Juventus and will bolster the midfield.

Udinese struggled in the league last season when it made its Champions League debut, exiting the European competition after the group stage. Led by Vincenzo Iaquinta and Antonio Di Natale in attack, Udinese is virtually unchanged from last season.

Chievo Verona also made few changes of note.

Other mid-table clubs are Cagliari, Livorno and Siena.

Cagliari has a group of homegrown players to rely on. Livorno still has high-scoring striker Cristiano Lucarelli and Siena retained veteran forward Enrico Chiesa.

Lazio and Reggina were also hit hard by the scandal.

Lazio starts with an 11-point penalty, which it should overcome to avoid relegation, while Reggina seems destined to go down to Serie B with a 15-point deficit.

Fiorentina's penalty is the biggest of all, but with last season's league scoring leader, Luca Toni, back, and some interesting additions, a climb out of the relegation zone is possible — albeit difficult.

Atalanta, Catania and Torino are the promoted teams.

Atalanta returns to Serie A after only one season in B and has signed former Italy forward Christian Vieri. Catania is back after a 22-year spell in the lower divisions and will rely on forward Gionatha Spinesi, who has scored 88 goals in the last five B seasons.

Torino's ambitious owner, Urbano Cairo, spent 11 million euros ($15.6 million Cdn) to add players like goalkeeper Christian Abbiati and Barone.

Messina, the final club relegated at the end of last season, also returns after having been promoted when Juventus was sent down to B.

Also at the bottom are Ascoli, Empoli and Parma.

Parma continues to struggle financially in the wake of the Parmalat scandal, having to sell five players.

[/QUOTE]

Stand out fixture for me is Fiorentina-v-Inter Milan. With the team Inter have this year I'd say they'll be hard to beat. Mind you I think this opening game will be a draw.

Nice to see there will be some Serie A football in the Delle Alpi this year!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Looking forward to this, Fiorentina - Inter the live game tonight, may watch it ahead of what could be a turkey-shoot for Barcelona at home to Osasuna. I don't think Inter are as much of a sure thing as people are making out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Bateman wrote:
    Looking forward to this, Fiorentina - Inter the live game tonight, may watch it ahead of what could be a turkey-shoot for Barcelona at home to Osasuna. I don't think Inter are as much of a sure thing as people are making out.

I dont think they are a sure thing but there isnt alot out there to challenge them. Roma I think will be strong. AC will claw back the 8 points but in the end I think it will be to much for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I expect Milan to romp to the title easily this year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

gustavo wrote:
    I expect Milan to romp to the title easily this year

You dont think the 8 point deduction will slow them down in any way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Bad result for the Viola. Inter look fairly strong. I worry a little about Fiorentina's midfield. Brocchi is a big loss. Not to sure about Liverani and Gobbi. 19 points is too much of a punishment. We need to get champions league points to avoid relegation. At least Toni is off to another good season. If he gets injured we're F***ed.

Come on the Viola!

• Advertisement

kearnsr wrote:
    You dont think the 8 point deduction will slow them down in any way
    Nah poor old Inter always find a way to screw things up:)

gustavo wrote:
    Nah poor old Inter always find a way to screw things up:)

We'll see!

Good win for inter. Thought it be a draw for a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well we have started a potentially very tricky season the right way with a 2-1 win over Lazio, all be it thanks to new boy Oliveira so I'm still hopeful that the title is not out of touch.

Last season I'd have said we can claw back 8 points on our cross town rivals but with the reinforcements and our loss of the worlds best striker I think it will be too much. CL placing is still well within us though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I see that Atlanta are giving Vieri a small basic wage plus €100k for every goal he scores. Seems a decent package, win-win for Atlanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Did anybody else see Giuseppe Biava's back heel into the net? It was unbelievable, one of the best goals i've seen in ages! The reporters are calling it a scorpian kick. He horizontal in the air and then flicked the ball with the back of his heel to scor. I couldn't find it on youtube. Anyone have a clip for it, i'm dying to see it again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

eirebhoy wrote:
    I see that Atlanta are giving Vieri a small basic wage plus €100k for every goal he scores. Seems a decent package, win-win for Atlanta.

I thought that was interesting alright only problem is it may lead to him being a little too gready even if strikers are ment to be a little such a pay package may mean he will shoot rather than pass when he sould if his is thinking each goal is worth €100k

I thought that was interesting alright only problem is it may lead to him being a little too gready even if strikers are ment to be a little such a pay package may mean he will shoot rather than pass when he sould if his is thinking each goal is worth €100k

I think its a good idea. He is a class player and will bang in the goals.

I've heard 100k mentioned before but I've also heard lower amounts. I also heard he gets a win bonus as well. The idea behind it is that if he sets some one else up for the win he gets some money so he wont become a greedy sh!t! I'm sure which ever way they have it set up Atlanta will get the best out of him.

Giruilla wrote:
    Did anybody else see Giuseppe Biava's back heel into the net? It was unbelievable, one of the best goals i've seen in ages! The reporters are calling it a scorpian kick. He horizontal in the air and then flicked the ball with the back of his heel to scor. I couldn't find it on youtube. Anyone have a clip for it, i'm dying to see it again!
    It might be here somewhere!

Did Wimbledon do somethign similar in the 90's with John Fashanu after Sam Hamann took over? As I recall as soon as Fash used to receive the ball regardless of where he was he'd have a shot as it was worth so much money to him!

gustavo wrote:
    It might be here somewhere!

Yeah its there at about 33 seconds in! Cheers. It only shows it from the broadcast angle though, you really need to see one of the replays to do it justice!

Sweet I just found it on youtube actually must of just been put up. Check it out, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvcMdnevwcc
    Goal of the season material!

Giruilla wrote:
    Sweet I just found it on youtube actually must of just been put up. Check it out, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvcMdnevwcc
    Goal of the season material!

Cant really make it out but is he facing the free kick the ball floats over his head he swivels and hits it with his right foot in an anti clock wise motion? If so its class. If not I just made up goal of the season

kearnsr wrote:
    Cant really make it out but is he facing the free kick the ball floats over his head he swivels and hits it with his right foot in an anti clock wise motion? If so its class. If not I just made up goal of the season
    Its really hard to tell from that video, but i saw it setanta from another angle. But yeah as far as i can tell he was facing the goal and then did it in an anti clock-wise turn! Can honestly say I've never seen a goal scored like that!

He dives under the ball and catches it with his heal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I watched Inter play Fiorentina over the weekend. To be honest, the scoreline of 3-2 doesn't reflect Inter's dominance over the game. At 3-0 they sat back and only because of some Luca Toni brilliance they conceded two goals.

Milan on the other hand I think have a tough season ahead. Oliviera is a decent player but he's nowhere near the same level as Shevchenko. Don't know why they let Vogel go, he was a far better squad player than Ambrosini is. The back line already looked suspect at times last season is now another year older. As legendary as Maldini is, he was terrible against Lazio, think it's time for him to hang up his boots.

• Advertisement

Here's a download link to Biavi's goal:
    http://www.zshare.net/download/palermo-v-reggina-2-0-biava-zip.html

They showed more replays on Setanta though. It looked like some match. :)

The back line already looked suspect at times last season is now another year older. As legendary as Maldini is, he was terrible against Lazio, think it's time for him to hang up his boots.

Not a big fan of Milans but this sums up for me why Mialn dont have much of a chance of winning the league.

Their defence is too old. A static striker they could probably deal with but if some one has a go at them for 90 mins I think they'll leak goals.

As a Milan fan it hurts that such a legend is now nearing the end. Maldini is retiring at the end of the season and will be sorely missed. That said I do agree. The one time rock is now a shadown of his former self and get caught out far too often. Now and again you can still see flashes of genius but these are all to infrequent.

Loosing Sheva was a huge blow, in my opinion the best striker on the planet, but hopefully super pipo will stand up and be counted yet again. Still not fully convinced on Gilla.

Vogel left because he was unhappy that he couldn't break into the first team and demanded to leave. I do agree though, he was a much better player than max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I think letting Vogal go was no big deal I thing Ambrosini is just as good back up a good solid player been around the block you know what to expect from him. While Oliviera is a decent player after coments coming out before the sale of shevchenko about how they would only sell him is they got a world class replacement in I was a little disapointed he was the replacement.But they have 3 good strikers so im not overly woried about the attack.
    The main disapointment though was not adding to defence Bonera and Favalli are decent but favalli is in his 30's hardly adding the needed youth.
    I was also disapointed that waster Sedorf wasnt replaced altough hopefully that young french lad (cant remember his name) might step up and claim his place.

kearnsr wrote:
    Not a big fan of Milans but this sums up for me why Mialn dont have much of a chance of winning the league.

Their defence is too old. A static striker they could probably deal with but if some one has a go at them for 90 mins I think they'll leak goals.
    With Stam gone who else can play centre half for Milan under the age of about 34? :) Kaldadze? Bonera's a right back isn't he?

Boneras a right back who can play CB too afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Nesta's only 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Might not win the league, but whoever does will have an asterix next to their name ;)

That goal's nothing really special, he just flung a leg at it and got lucky...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

well if inter dont win it they should have an asterix next to their name saying they blew it

• Advertisement
Advertisement