Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Beer Ever??

• 09-09-2006 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭

was introduced to this polish beer the other day, at 4.70 a pint bottle in the pubs and at 5.7%. nice stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyskie_beer
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Try Švyturys. Lithuanian beer. Fantastic!!!

Had it over there during the summer when Shels were playing there and one of my local off-licences stocks it now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Well this is obviously going to be a very subjective topic but as long as we can all agree it's not budweiser then I'm happy :). Polish beer tends to be very nice. Hungarian not-so nice. Belgians do it best though.

IMHO the best beer in the world is Duvel. 8,5% Golden Ale with a slightly sweet almost tastes texture, tastes like it's 5%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Tyskie? Obviously not the best beer ever, but not a bad drink all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Now thats a topic that could go on forever as ApeXaviour said!! Even if you look at sites such as ratebeer.com (interesting article at
    http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer-News/Article-377.htm ), http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/ everyone has different opinions on how good different beers are. While Tyskie is a much better than average beer, I think there are much better beers out there.
    R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

No Such thing as the best beer ever. Not even subjectively, in my opinion.
    There are so many beers out there that you would need several lifetimes and even more livers, to drink them all.

I find that my drink of choice varies according to my mood and the time of year, not to mention changing year after year, as I taste more beers and learn more about beer by brewing my own.

What food you are eating (I prefer to eat with my beer) also affects the best beer choice.

I cooked up salmon in cream, garlic and dill, with wild rice and sautéed carrots, with garlic and rosemary yesterday and I can tell you that the bottles of Orval we had with it were the best beer in the world at that time!

Mind you, Duvel or a lambic probably would have matched it just as well.

Séan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

budvar, little bit of heaven

thanks

ronan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

My favourite Lager is Sam Adams. Lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mixed Fruit Koppaberg. At 7%, it goes down well easy :) Too easy, the only thing stopping me is the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

Spaten Pils is most definitely my favourite beer. Slightly sweeter than most beers but a fine example of Bavarian brewing. The best beer I ever drank was a cold can of Heineken on a wet St Patricks night in a "dry" country, after no alcohol since christmas it was wonderful. I used to think Hoegarden was the best beer but now I consider Franziskraner (same company as Spaten) do a nicer wheat beer. Duvel although considered by many to be a quality beer is still the devil to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

yeah tyskie rocks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Had a terrible head from Tyskie recently, wasn't that impressed, but then I like me warsteiner these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

McHughs has savage value on Tyskie 5X50cl bottles for a tenner! Leech and Żywiec too. It leads to far to much boozing!

Warsteiner is tasty too and at a euro a pop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hmmmm, as lagers for go for me, it'd be Peroni (Nastro Azzuro) or Tsingtao.

Bought a six pack of 330ml Heinekin tinnies the other evening, brewed in Amsterdam, I think it said on the tin. I drank five of them, with a meal and over the course of the rest of the evening. That's slightly less than three pints. Also drank a pint of water before bed.

Woke up the following morning feeling like I'd not only been hit by the beer lorry, but it had reversed back over me so it could run over me again. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Hendrixcat

For the winter months it's got to be Fuller's ESB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Fraggle Rocks

Hmmmm, as lagers for go for me, it'd be Peroni (Nastro Azzuro) or Tsingtao.

Bought a six pack of 330ml Heinekin tinnies the other evening, brewed in Amsterdam, I think it said on the tin. I drank five of them, with a meal and over the course of the rest of the evening. That's slightly less than three pints. Also drank a pint of water before bed.

Woke up the following morning feeling like I'd not only been hit by the beer lorry, but it had reversed back over me so it could run over me again. Never again.

Heineken is just hangover in a bottle. Its sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Grolsh or budvar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭pvt. joker

luckily you guys don't have access to the millions of microbrews over here. SOOOO many beers, so little liver cells left. i still think your guinness nears the top of my personal list, along with samuel smith oatmeal stout and young's double chocolate stout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

pvt. joker wrote:
    luckily you guys don't have access to the millions of microbrews over here. SOOOO many beers, so little liver cells left. i still think your guinness nears the top of my personal list, along with samuel smith oatmeal stout and young's double chocolate stout
    True, the US is leading the way in the craftbrew market, but the ones you mention are English, and are available here. Young's double chocolate stout is pure indulgence in a bottle. Fabulous stuff. Not session material, though. More of an after dinner drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Where in Dublin could I grab some of that Duval ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

nm wrote:
    Where in Dublin could I grab some of that Duval ?

Lots of threads about that recently please use the search function for Belgian beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

If I could have any beer in the world it would be Fullers London Pride , I used to fill the boot of my car with it coming home from England , but now its available here .

I noted an earlier post about Fullers ESB , a little think and heavy for me but as HendrixCat says in the depth of winter can be nice , if it's on draft it's really difficult to get a nice one , my brother who ran a Fullers pub for a few years said it was really difficult to keep.

Lager I am pretty indifferent on , however anyone who has been to Munich around this time of year will know what real lager tastes like.

So all in all a pint of Pride please !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Hendrixcat

I with you on Fuller's London Pride for a lighter tipple but I think Marsdon's Pedigree might pip it at the post as one of the all time great ales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

SOme good beers mentioned here. I think Duvel is excellent, but very very potent, i've done serious damage to myself with that.

Peroni is ok, if you like beers with little flavour. Ditto Tsingtao. Personnally Warsteiner does little for me. Fullers London Pride is a delicious ale. One of my favourites.

Sam Adams was also mentioned - very flavoursome, malty. My favourite US beer. (the competition isn't exactly steep).

Anyway, my choice.... it can be gotten in the Porterhouse.

Liefman's Goudenband.

It is called a Flemish Brown Ale, some call it a Flemish Sour Ale. Its dark brown, aromatic, malty and especially slightly acidic - not as much as a Lambic beer (which I also like) - but more subtle.

Next time you're int he Porterhouse give it a go (bottom floor only, if they don't know what you're talking about ask for the one in the paper wrapper).

l.goudenband.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Big fan of the Thai beers, both Chang and Singha. Would prefer the latter if pushed though.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Peroni is ok, if you like beers with little flavour. Ditto Tsingtao.

Fair enough, but if you're going to go for a lager, e.g. fizzy, golden, mainstream-ish, what would it be? If you think within the confines of "long day, hot and tired, no beer in the house, want something that is nearly guaranteed to be cold in the off licence fridge so I can get it home, pop it and sink it".

I should add Sapporo to Peroni and Tsingtao for me.

I find Stella too harsh these days; Heiniken was like drinking 'instant icepick headache in a tin' recently, (and I can never spell it);Tiger, Cobra and Kingfisher are all in the Stella category for me (things I drink with a curry); I find Fosters and Castlemaine dodgy; Grolsch is changeable and I'm never happy with it - same with Carlsberg; Kronenbourg isn't bad but it can be hard to find in a fridge; Corona and Miller are both things I'll drink when there's nothing else and someone else has bought them (barbecue beers); Budvar is quite good usually; I've never liked Budweiser; Tennents, Carling, Dutch Gold etc. are oddly not available at offlicences near me (honestly, I'm not making that up...); Pilsner Urquell is another changeable one, sometimes it's instant headache, sometimes it's great; Becks I used to like and now I find awful; Rolling Rock is something I remember from my late teens and am afraid to ever try again, and I've never tried Red Stripe.

'Beer' is a very broad term, even for this board. When I see it in a generic thread like this, my first port of call in my mind are the lagers and the pilsners, then the beers per se, then the ales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Fair enough, but if you're going to go for a lager, e.g. fizzy, golden, mainstream-ish, what would it be? If you think within the confines of "long day, hot and tired, no beer in the house, want something that is nearly guaranteed to be cold in the off licence fridge so I can get it home, pop it and sink it".

Ok, I'll bite, if I want something cold and refreshing - I'll go with Hoeggarden - with a bit of lemon mashed into it.

OK OK, its not a lager. Let me think. I actually tend to avoid lagers, as they are generally the least flavorsome. Anyway for the sake of arguement I'll try to pick a lager.

Tiger isn't bad - I'd rate it above Peroni. Peroni is thorughly innoffensive. But does nothing special for me. It can be nice with food.

I wouldn't touch Bud, Heineken, Miller, Coors, Carlsberg, Carling etc.

Stella can be nice on tap on a hot day. I haven't had much luck with it from bottles. Becks I don't like. Grolsch can be quite nice. It is quite malty, which I appreciate, a little on the bitter side maybe. Kronenbourg is mediocre, although the Kronenbourg Biére Blanche is nice (Hoeggarden style).

Some of the Czech lagers are very good, at least they were when I had them on tap in Prague, they don't seem to travel so well in bottles.

Spaten I would rate higher than any of the above mentioned. A munich based lager. Certainly has more flavour than the likes of Peroni.

Anyway I think the conclusion here, is I'm not that fond of lagers. Its only a small jump from lager to Weiss Beer. Erdinger, Franziskaner, Hoeggarden. All very refreshing served cold. All very tasty.
    'Beer' is a very broad term, even for this board. When I see it in a generic thread like this, my first port of call in my mind are the lagers and the pilsners, then the beers per se, then the ales.

I'd take the opposite view. When given such a broad question, go for the beer that stands out, not the every-day cooking beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I've been to Prague aload of times over the last few years, since my girlfriend is Czech, so I would have to say that Pilsner Urquell is top of my list, closely followed by the lovely Gambrinus then the crisp Budvar. The two other main Czech beers, Staropramen & Krusovice are pure liquid headache timebombs unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Okocim Mocne.

I'm with the Staropramen liquid headache vote. Then again, I've never, ever had 'just one' Staropramen, which could be the reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭pvt. joker

noby wrote:
    True, the US is leading the way in the craftbrew market, but the ones you mention are English, and are available here. Young's double chocolate stout is pure indulgence in a bottle. Fabulous stuff. Not session material, though. More of an after dinner drink.
    oh definitely, i lean towards english ales. Young's being my favorite. If you like that though, try to get your hands on some Rogue if you can (probably not) http://www.rogue.com/brews.html

Their chocolate stout, shakespeare stout and hazlenut are ALL fabulous. But these are all dessert beers too. Nothing you can drink more than a few of without getting full.

Lately my session beer of choice if i can find it on draught is John Courage for some reason. After having guinness in ireland, the stuff here is trash in comparison and i can't drink it anymore

Advertisement