Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Beer Ever??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 haircut100

Gotta get me some Leffe, but as of now, I think it's too dependent on situation to define an absolute fav.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Hendrixcat wrote:
    I with you on Fuller's London Pride for a lighter tipple but I think Marsdon's Pedigree might pip it at the post as one of the all time great ales.

Now we are talking great beers - I grew up in Burton on Trent and was weaned on "Peddi" as it is more affectionately known in its heartland - the bets pint I used to know was in the Plough on Horninglow Road Burton on Trent - sure the pub is still there - a frequent haunt in my mid to late teens. The Peddi was simply devine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Hmmmm, as lagers for go for me, it'd be Peroni (Nastro Azzuro)

Had this over the weekend. A good session lager: nice, easy-going lager with a pretty good taste, and not a bad price (I think it was €1.50 a bottle in ALDI). I may have to get some more of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭bigears

oh definitely, i lean towards english ales. Young's being my favorite.
    My favourite Young's brew is their Double Chocolate Stout, very rich, not one to drink all night but a couple are very tasty. My opinion on the 'best beer in the world' probably changes every couple of weeks. At the moment I love citrussy hoppy beers like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Liberty Ale and Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted. I doubt I could ever pick one beer and stick to it - there are so many fantastic beers available now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 freedgull

I used to love Brooklyn Larger (Brooklyn Brewery) - I haven't seen it over here anywhere. If someone spots it let me know

• Advertisement

Can't remember seeing Brooklyn Lager on the shelves. If you stump up for a case you can get it here:

http://www.realbeers.ie/shop/prod_origins.aspx?cid=223

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Hoegaarden ftw
    Lovely refreshing beer with a hint of fruit :)

hoegaarden.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Hendrixcat

I used to love Brooklyn Larger (Brooklyn Brewery) - I haven't seen it over here anywhere. If someone spots it let me know

I used to buy it in Sweeney's of Phibsboro. It's a fine beer alright. The US are doing a great job of producing Vienna style dark lagers with excellent hop flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Blisterman wrote:
    My favourite Lager is Sam Adams. Lovely.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7295945778197571358&q=samuel+jackson+beer&hl=en

my favourite changes literally with the weather. It is like asking whats the best food ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Fullers 1845 bottle conditioned ale. A classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Here are mine
    Aventinus Weizen bock, Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock, most Trappists beers, Baltika 6 and Caledonian 80 shillings!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Duvel, absolutely superb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 freedgull

"Can't remember seeing Brooklyn Lager on the shelves. If you stump up for a case you can get it here:

http://www.realbeers.ie/shop/prod_origins.aspx?cid=223"

€58 + 6(del) for 24 bottles of brooklyn:confused:

hmmm expensive - I'm tempted though. Maybe I'll treat myself for the christmas season.

The UK beers are more affordable...

Most of the lesser available beers will be pricey,
    McHugh's on the Malahide Road had two Sam Adams seasonals a couple of weeks back. The Summer Ale (an american Wheat) and their Oktoberfest. I have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed by both at the time. They're not bad value for imports though at around 11 euro for six packs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

The five bottles of Amstel I guzzled three years ago after walking that long gorge walk in Crete.

The first pint of Tetley I had in the Wrens Leeds in 1979

The ice cold budwieser I drank in some blue collar bar in the middle of nowhere in the midwest after being in a truck with no air conditioning for three hours in the early 80s (crap beer but the experience is what I was drinking)

The pint of Guinness I had in the Guinness tent after Dawn Run won the gold cup at Cheltenham. The several pints I had at the same location after Istabraq stormed up the hill for his third win in the Champion hurdle

Some of those wondeful Alt beers on a summers evening in dusseldorf all at the expense of a large corporation I worked for - and many other locations around the world on the same tab with a few different beers.

The courage Best pulled by the old landlord, Terry, The Queens Arms, Basingstoke.

The Marstons Pedigree, the Plough Inn, Burton on Trent 1976 - 1978

Friday night beers in many a beer garden in the south of England after work

A pint of stout in a quiet Dublin city centre pub in the middle of the afternoon

A pint of Fullers ESB in some pub in the City before getting the train home

The bottles of Bass Ale consumed with a steak at Smith and Wollenskis in NYC.

There is no such thing as the best beer ever. Each beer you have has its own time and place - some are more memorable than others - these are just a few of my best beer moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

haircut100 wrote:
    Gotta get me some Leffe, but as of now, I think it's too dependent on situation to define an absolute fav.

Love Leffe!
    I brought 10 sixpacks home from France in August.
    Its only €3.50 for 6 bottles over there.....happy days!
    Not as fond of the blonde Leffe as I am the other 3.

Duvel and Chimay would be very high on my list too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

bigears wrote: »
    My favourite Young's brew is their Double Chocolate Stout, very rich, not one to drink all night but a couple are very tasty. My opinion on the 'best beer in the world' probably changes every couple of weeks. At the moment I love citrussy hoppy beers like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Liberty Ale and Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted. I doubt I could ever pick one beer and stick to it - there are so many fantastic beers available now.

+1 for Bitter and twisted! there is a wonderful refreshing grapefruit zing to this that has me coming back for more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Any of the Chimay beers are defo top for me, especially Chimay Red.
    Love the stuff!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

ned78 wrote: »
    Okocim Mocne.
    Malted heaven. Sex in a bottle! Love it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 stillhere08

duvel or chimay red are my favourites, I can get a six pack here for less than a fiver, in Luxembourg

• Advertisement

duvel or chimay red are my favourites, I can get a six pack here for less than a fiver, in Luxembourg

Good beer, are you living in Luxembourg, if so start exploring yuo should be able to get some fantastic stuff

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

oblivious wrote: »
    Good beer, are you living in Luxembourg, if so start exploring yuo should be able to get some fantastic stuff
    Into Germany and Belgium, you mean? I dunno what proportion of Luxembourgish beers I got to try on my short visit, but they weren't great.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Into Germany and Belgium, you mean? I dunno what proportion of Luxembourgish beers I got to try on my short visit, but they weren't great.

as in its in good position near Belgian, Germany and Holland

no great beers to note here in Luxembourg, one that is not far from here but in Belgium is called "Lachouffe", there is a picture of a knome on the label, also a small belgian brewery called "rulles", both beers with great flavours and aromas

no great beers to note here in Luxembourg, one that is not far from here but in Belgium is called "Lachouffe", there is a picture of a knome on the label, also a small belgian brewery called "rulles", both beers with great flavours and aromas
    Yes, I enjoyed the Rulles beers I've had, and La Chouffe is legendary. It's occasionally seen on draught in Ireland.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yes, I enjoyed the Rulles beers I've had, and La Chouffe is legendary. It's occasionally seen on draught in Ireland.

that's great to hear, ah yes forget to mention the kriek, especially on a hot summer day:), no particular labels come to my mind though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Gotta go with the Hoe. Hoegaarden all the way, I try to stick to pubs which only serve it. Which isn't a lot :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Regarding trappiste ales, did everyone on here like them after their very first tasting of them? I tried Chimay blanc last night, and to be honest, i thought it was awful stuff. It must be an acquired taste, because to me it tasted like smelly socks! I detected a little bit of sweetness but its mustyness was very off-putting for me.

Took me a while to get into the Trappist beers, and I began liking the darker ones first. It's a long time since I've had Chimay Blanc, but I'd recommend Westmalle Tripel and Karmeliet Tripel as very accessible examples of this style.

Of the dark beers, Chimay Red is a good gateway Trappist; likewise Westmalle Dubbel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Still very fond of Zipfer, which is an Austrian lager and for something cheap, Harp Export, though I haven't seen it for a few years.

On ales, Tescos in the UK did/do? a smoked beer that's like drinking rashers. Honourable mentions to Speckled Hen, Pedigree, Pride and most things from Youngs apart from Mild(which still makes me shudder).

Advertisement