Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Beer Ever??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

shanel23 wrote: »
    Got to be for me a pint bottle of Guinness ( not from the cooler )

Certainly one of the few fine beers available in Irish pubs but, sadly, not enough pubs.

I've discussed it in my blog here and on this forum too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Hmmm.. I'd have to say Ringnes from Norway closely followed by McEwans 70 from scotland....man I'm getting thirsty just typing this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Certainly one of the few fine beers available in Irish pubs but, sadly, not enough pubs.

I've discussed it in my blog here and on this forum too

Available in the Blue Haven - ( my local - and my favourite pub the Palace ) also pint bottles of Macardles - never seen anyone in there drinking it though.

I think the reason pubs don't stock them is the overhead pint bottles bring in storage Versus Kegs - shame really as the flavour of the pint bottle of Guinness is something to behold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Bought a six pack of 330ml Heinekin tinnies the other evening, brewed in Amsterdam, I think it said on the tin. I drank five of them, with a meal and over the course of the rest of the evening. That's slightly less than three pints. Also drank a pint of water before bed.

Woke up the following morning feeling like I'd not only been hit by the beer lorry, but it had reversed back over me so it could run over me again. Never again.

I always feel like that after any amount of Heinekin! It's horrible stuff.

I always feel like that after any amount of Heinekin! It's horrible stuff.

Two pints of draught Paulanner did that to me last weekend.
    German purity laws????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Two pints of draught Paulanner did that to me last weekend.
    German purity laws????

Doggy Irish pub line?

or are you allergic to wheat beer?

oblivious wrote: »
    Doggy Irish pub line?

or are you allergic to wheat beer?

Well it was in The Spiegel Tent where only Paulanner and Murphy's are sold so I'd imagine that Heineken would have the system running ok. It tasted ok which many Paulanners I've tasted previously have not.

No, not allergic, I drink Weihenstephaner and Schneiderweiss all the time.

Going there on Thursday to see The Fall - reckon I'll have a dry night.

To be fair I did drink more than the two pint of Paulanner but it's the only thing I can attribute the headache to.

Geuze Boon has never given me a head before and I only had one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I'd read & heard different things about this..... decided to try some for myself at the weekend. Its not what I was expecting.... not bad, but I won't be rushing out to buy more in a hurry. I would give it another chance at some stage though.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? I'm not into wine or spirits etc... and I found with this that the 'hint' of scotch or whatever was that bit too strong...

I'd read & heard different things about this..... decided to try some for myself at the weekend. Its not what I was expecting.... not bad, but I won't be rushing out to buy more in a hurry. I would give it another chance at some stage though.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? I'm not into wine or spirits etc... and I found with this that the 'hint' of scotch or whatever was that bit too strong...

Yup, it's not exactly unpleasant but just a bit "wrong".

Might try again also, all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

6 bavaria for 7.50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 tIS hImSelF

Top 5 fav beers:

1) O'Hara's stout / Oyseter Stout (from the Porterhouse)

2) Duvel

3) Three Sheets (Micro Brew Sydney)

4) Peroni

5) Samiclause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Top 5 fav beers:

1) O'Hara's stout

you should try their O'hara's Celebration Stout, very good and available from superquinn and good off licenses

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tIS hImSelF

oblivious wrote: »
    you should try their O'hara's Celebration Stout, very good and available from superquinn and good off licenses

thanks for the recommendation.....I'll pop into Superquinn in the Morning. Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

best beer i had in china called snow beer.....30 cent a pint:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Was at the beer exposed beer festival in London yesterday, and I must say, it was one of the coolest things I've ever been to.

It was like a trade show, with dozens of brewery stands from all over the world, ranging from well known brands like Zyweic to little known ones like Brew Dog and Carlow.
    Each stand had different beers the brewery produced.
    And the best thing was, you could try as much of you like of it, for free.

The two most memorable beers I had were Brew Dog Paradox Smokehead and Rothaus Hefe Weizen.
    Paradox smokehead is a strong imperial stout, with a smokey peat flavour. Never tasted anything like it before. It was tasty.
    Rothaus Hefe Weizen is possibly my new favourite beer. I love Hefe Weizen, and this is probably the best example of the style I've ever had. delicious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Paradox is fantastic stuff. I had one of the Islay versions and loved it. Aging beers in whisky barrels is really fashionable at the moment and every top-class craft brewery around the world seems to be having a go, with amazing results in most cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Big fan of Carlton Cold myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I missed this thread somehow......I am surprised there has been no mention of my favorite - Goose Island IPA.

Duvel is great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

vote for Trappist Quad

After you drank a bottle it says Heaven on the front of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Blisterman wrote: »
    Was at the beer exposed beer festival in London yesterday, and I must say, it was one of the coolest things I've ever been to.

It was like a trade show, with dozens of brewery stands from all over the world, ranging from well known brands like Zyweic to little known ones like Brew Dog and Carlow.
    Each stand had different beers the brewery produced.
    And the best thing was, you could try as much of you like of it, for free.

The two most memorable beers I had were Brew Dog Paradox Smokehead and Rothaus Hefe Weizen.
    Paradox smokehead is a strong imperial stout, with a smokey peat flavour. Never tasted anything like it before. It was tasty.
    Rothaus Hefe Weizen is possibly my new favourite beer. I love Hefe Weizen, and this is probably the best example of the style I've ever had. delicious.

I was definitely a little over enthusiastic about Rothaus. Had some recently, and while nice, It's nothing spectacular. I'd much rather Weihestephan or Schneider Weisse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

freedgull wrote: »
    I used to love Brooklyn Larger (Brooklyn Brewery) - I haven't seen it over here anywhere. If someone spots it let me know

Supervalu on aston quay in the city do it. saw it there last week but beware there poor beer storage,but as far as i remember it was nearer the bottom of the shelf so better chances!!

Edit: And the best beer i've ever had was last week,granted i've only recently started to move beyond the standard macro beers in the last month,so my tasting has been limited...
    But i start at the top and on saturday,i had two bottles of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier (german ale).
    They were quite cold when i took them out at first, and by the time i got to the second bottle it was quite closer to room temperature,
    half way through when it warmed up, it was amazing,the taste was just incredible. Its what i've been looking for since i started so so so so long ago,I'm fantasizing about it now...god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Leffe is the new favourite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

azzeretti wrote: »
    I missed this thread somehow......I am surprised there has been no mention of my favorite - Goose Island IPA.
    +1

Its a beautiful beer, i'm really getting into the IPAs at the moment. However i did taste a Californian india pale ale in the Bierhaus recently that was even better than Goose! I have to find out the name of it because it truly was the most beautifully floral of beers i've yet tasted. If you love Goose Island or even Sierra Nevada, you'll love this one even more!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Grenache, was it on tap? Speakeasy Big Daddy IPA if it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Some joker better have put dutch gold in here or I'll be shocked. Totally gone off beer meself. Stout does it for me now. And it's a tough choice between guinness and a plain porter from the porterhouse for me there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

koHd wrote: »
    Totally gone off beer meself. Stout does it for me now.
    Stout is beer.

Yeah, I'd say that was Big Daddy grenache encountered. Disappointing from the bottle but sublime on tap. Prohibition and Double Daddy are the best bottled Speakeasy beers, IMO.

mayordenis wrote: »

It was Big Daddy in the Bierhaus, alright.
    Was in The Abbot's too, but they have the Prohibition ale tapped at the moment - another Big Daddy waiting to be tapped when the Prohibition is gone.

VERY nice beers.
    4 halves does very nicely (and half the price of two pints in the Abbot's).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

mayordenis wrote: »
    This one was from a bottle Denis, had it the last nite of the quiz a couple of weeks back. All i know is the big bloke behind the bar recommended it to me!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Trade Winds maybe? It's a British style IPA fairly different from the American's like Goose Island but a great beer none the less, a really good sub for Galway Hooker imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

grenache wrote: »
    +1

Its a beautiful beer, i'm really getting into the IPAs at the moment. However i did taste a Californian india pale ale in the Bierhaus recently that was even better than Goose! I have to find out the name of it because it truly was the most beautifully floral of beers i've yet tasted. If you love Goose Island or even Sierra Nevada, you'll love this one even more!

Got my first goose island ipa about two weeks ago, i bought two botles in gibney's in malahide. They tasted as if they'd gone bad,well i only had one actually. Maybe i'm deluded but they definitely had that skunky taste/smell. does this happens often?

Advertisement