Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Beer Ever??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Leffe 'Bruin'...../thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mayordenis wrote: »
    Trade Winds maybe? It's a British style IPA fairly different from the American's like Goose Island but a great beer none the less, a really good sub for Galway Hooker imo.

It probably was - Dave is fond of that beer.
    Me too!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Gerty wrote: »
    they definitely had that skunky taste/smell. does this happens often?
    I've never encountered a skunked beer in brown glass. Are you sure they weren't just off? Did you check the best-before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

BeerNut wrote: »
    I've never encountered a skunked beer in brown glass. Are you sure they weren't just off? Did you check the best-before?

Does beer actually go off? Given alcohols preservative properties I always just assumed the best before dates were mandatory but pretty meaningless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

It's a toss up between Stella Artois, Bewitch'd Brew or Messr Maguire's gorgeous in-house brewed Bock.

Decisions, decisions....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭furiousox

from what i've tasted so far......grolsch?

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

Too hard to pick just one, had some nice ones and awful ones too, but my tops in no particular order...... Spaten, Grolsch, Saris, Perroni and Tyskie is nice too.

Does beer actually go off? Given alcohols preservative properties I always just assumed the best before dates were mandatory but pretty meaningless.
    It'll go stale. Hops in particular are quite delicate, so hop-driven driven beers are quite prone to going off if not kept properly. Wheat beers are also best consumed young.

Off beer won't do you any more harm than fresh beer, but it will taste wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I really liked the Monteiths beers from New Zealand, ales, lagers and stouts.
    http://www.monteiths.co.nz/beers-and-cider

Haven't seen them over here.

Sapporo is very nice too
    http://gregorysiegal.com/gregarious/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/sappora.jpg

Also, Hoeegaarden, Tiger, Chang, Budvar and plain old Guinness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 St. Robbie

Rothaus Pils is the nicest in my opinion. It's a German beer, comes in a bottle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Anton Chigurh

Duvel is my favourite. Simply a beautiful beer. Plentiful in most off licenses now but unfortunately hard to get in pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

carling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Some of the Russian Imperial Stouts are really good. Possibly the finest one I have had is Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.

IronMan wrote: »
    Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.
    Gorgeous beer. Though North Coast were a bit mean when Dutch brewery De Molen went to import its own Rasputin imperial stout to the States. Rather than fight it, De Molen changed the name. To "Disputin'" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭ChillyJilly

Lost my beer-virginity to this one! Love it :)

beer_lao2.20613945_std.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

cashback wrote: »
    I really liked the Monteiths beers from New Zealand, ales, lagers and stouts.
    http://www.monteiths.co.nz/beers-and-cider

Haven't seen them over here.

Monteith's Black is my favourite beer in the world, and I've asked them three times, but they don't export to Ireland. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

I just got a beer hamper from the drinkstore. There's a few in it that I've never had but seem to have very good ratings like "Goose island bourbon county stout" and "victory storm king stout". Can't wait to get stuck into them later. The bourbon county stout is 13% :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Had Bombardier's stout/porter (satanic mills?) last night again. less than four quid in the pub, not bad huh? Great beer imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

try unertl weissbier…a slightly darker and totally delicious bavarian weissbier…one of the best imo…another contender would be weihenstephaner weissbier…great stuff as well…the other beers by weihenstephan are really good too…

www.unertl.de
    www.weihenstephaner.de

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Des wrote: »
    Monteith's Black is my favourite beer in the world, and I've asked them three times, but they don't export to Ireland. :(

Yeah I asked the guy in the brewery and he said they were planning on exporting to the UK and presumably Ireland. According to their website, a lager of theirs can be found in UK, that's all. Partial to the Celtic red myself.
    Oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

try unertl weissbier…a slightly darker and totally delicious bavarian weissbier…one of the best imo…another contender would be weihenstephaner weissbier…great stuff as well…the other beers by weihenstephan are really good too…

www.unertl.de
    www.weihenstephaner.de

I love Weihenstephaner. Reminds me more of a belgian style wit than a german, but i have to say it is without doubt my fav hefe weiss. Beautiful drink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I love Weihenstephaner.

Also a great yeast to brew with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Anton.Mamyko

Baltika 3 or 5

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

oblivious wrote: »
    Also a great yeast to brew with!

what yeast do they use? Havent tried doing a weiss yet, must give it a try

what yeast do they use?
    It's their proprietory Weihenstephaner yeast. Several other commercial breweries use it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

cashback wrote: »
    Yeah I asked the guy in the brewery and he said they were planning on exporting to the UK and presumably Ireland. According to their website, a lager of theirs can be found in UK, that's all. Partial to the Celtic red myself.
    Oh well.

It's a fairly run of the mill lager tbh.

Des wrote: »
    It's a fairly run of the mill lager tbh.
    From the Heineken brand family? Perish the thought! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Never actually did try Tyskie myself. There was a Polish bar here where I tried Okocim. Quite nice, strong too. 7% and you can actually enjoy it. Often the case that when they get to a certain strength, they get mank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Had a good dose of galway hooker last night.
    Good taste and local

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Anybody taste the Aldi Specially Selected Irish Ale

Some big flavours in there so quite a strong tasting ale nearly like a light stout.

ANybody nkow if it is actually made in Ireland?

Advertisement