Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meanwhile, up the road

Options
  • 09-09-2006 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Trinity College is Ranked Top Irish University in Sunday Times League Tables

Posted on: Sep 08, 2006

Trinity College has been ranked as the top Irish university for the fourth successive year in the Sunday Times University League Tables which will be published this weekend. Commenting on the College’s achievement, the Provost of Trinity College, Dr John Hegarty, said: “I’m delighted that Trinity College for the fourth year in a row has been ranked as Ireland’s premier university in the Sunday Times League Tables. The ranking reflects the high calibre of students the university continues to attract and the quality of courses and teaching it offers those students.” The Provost also congratulated UCD and UCC who were both ranked in equal second place as well as DCU which was ranked in fourth place.

Trinity College increased its lead in this year’s Sunday Times League Tables and scored highest in three of the six performance indicators, including the calibre of students which the institution attracts. The College attracts the best qualified students in the country with entrants averaging 79.5% last year across six Leaving Certificate subjects. It also scored highest in the number of firsts and 2.1s achieved by its graduates, as well as in key research areas. Trinity College’s research income per academic staff member is the highest in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Yeah, but... we've got SWANS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

and a homeless guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

And we've got yer ma!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

here we go...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Those comparisons are always subjective, and nobody cares anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

BessBoy wrote:
    It also scored highest in the number of firsts and 2.1s achieved by its graduates, as well as in key research areas.

Eh....so?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Does anyone remember that list of top universities in the world a year or two ago? Trinity was 70 something and UCD didnt feature, i think.

Anyway, the marking category was broken down into several sections, including things like level of research, etc.

So, UCD not being ranked highly has little to do with the quality of our degrees (which is pretty darn good) but rather everything else (which is pretty darn mediocre).

Ive just started a masters/PhD, and i think there is a very high number in my faculty this year, as they were very enthusiastic to up the number of postgrads and the level of research in the college to improve our international standing, according to the "Hugh Brady master plan"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

bessboy can i be your friend

you're sooo cool

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Don't feed the troll.

Bessboy, you are permanently banned from the UCD forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement