Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xp&New User has access to old users programs

• 09-09-2006 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Greetings,

I want to pass my work PC on to a new member of staff. The problem will be from a historic point of view, is that when the new user logs on to the PC/network they will have a new fresh desktop. Is there away of them logging on and seeing all my old programs and the old desk top. It is just that I have a load of programs I need the user to use and a lot more short cuts (to network excel sheets etc) that I would like the new user to have immediate access to.

Is this possible? Some profile thing somewhere?
    I am thinking that this is something the Admin needs to do but any advice is welcomed.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

You'll need Administrator access.
    Why not just change the username/pass?

XP Home or Pro.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 77

Karoma wrote:
    You'll need Administrator access.
    Why not just change the username/pass?

XP Home or Pro.?

Thanks for the reply. Firstly it is XP PRO and it is a work network.
    I am not sure what you mean by change the username and password? The new person will have their own username and password and by default when they log on the new user default xp desktop will load? A clean slate as it were. (for example I use the old classic view and the new user one will be XP)I know some of my old programs will be available to the user but some wont. (That being the stamdard XP mutli user thing)

That is why I was wondering if there was away of having my old user/xp/windows profile copied to/for the new user? dunno if that makes sense.

I *think* this might be what I am after? http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314478

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

77 wrote:
    I *think* this might be what I am after? http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314478
    No. that would allow you to see your desktop, on any machine.

If the drive was formatted fat32 then they could see everything by browsing C:\Documents and settings

If they were technical then once they have physical access to the machine they could see everything that wasn't encrypted.

browsing C:\Documents and settings - open your profile and theirs
    you could copy desktop and programs to theirs.

As for permissions and rights and all that stuff - check with your IT people, if they have setup restrictions its not recommended to bypass them, especially if you have signed anything (most big companies and SME's)

Advertisement