Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to UCD Network

Options
  • 09-09-2006 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi im new in UCD, just curious about how to connect to other users on UCD network, really am clueless on the computers to be honest,
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Wireless lan is called WaveLAN, and is open and unencrypted. It's available in most buildings.

UCD E-Mail and Services is on UCD Connect http://cp.ucd.ie/. Do yourself a favour and download Sophos Anti-Virus from UCD Connect before you head off on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭streaker

thanks for that, got into it already but not really sure what point of UCD connect is???

Single sign-on to lots of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭streaker

thanks for that, do you have to be in college to access file sharing? am in res at the moment

Novell Netware (your H: drive and NAL) are only accessible if your computer has been registered and is plugged into the Wired network.

You can use connect to get your H: drive from a web-based file manager. It's in the My Files channel on the main page.

Other 'File Sharing' such as inter-computer sharing are blocked at the network switch, but will work between computers connected to the same wireless access point. (For example the sharing function in iTunes, haven't tried Windows file sharing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Red Alert wrote:
    Wireless lan is called WaveLAN
    It's actually called "WaveLAN Network".
    Red Alert wrote:
    haven't tried Windows file sharing
    Also works but again only within the same VLAN.

^^^ i defer to the computing legend! good to meet you yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

i was wondering, does anyone know what the speed is of the wired network. i get around 11megs on wireless but i heard wired network was much faster. does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Wireless network is typically 11Mbps ('b' type) around UCD, although some hotspots are of the 'g' variety and therefore can connect at 54Mbps.

Wired connection will connect at 100Mbps (I don't think there are any remaining areas that only have 10Mbps connections).

However wiress is not duplex, so actual through put speed would be about 5Mbps for 'b' and 20 for 'g'. But as you'll only be surfing web on it you're not going to notice any difference between using wired or wireless tbh.
    Red Alert wrote:
    good to meet you yesterday!
    Likewise! :D

Advertisement