Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Credit/Debit cards in Tesco and M&S

Options
  • 09-09-2006 5:09pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

I was in M&S the other day and bought some stuff in the food department in dundrum.

I noticed at the till that unlike elsewhere you have to hand your card to the cashier. M&S have installed a 'swipe and park' reader into the till, and a pinpad is provided for the customer, which has a chip and pin reader but seems to be unused.

Since chip and pin came in I prefer keeping the card to myself. From my experience inside the counter I think a lot of customers feel this way now also. I'm shocked Tesco and M&S went to the big expense of installing the chip readers onto the tills as well as having to upgrade the Epos app to deal with it. Surely a standard install with the customer putting their card into the pinpad would be cheaper and more acceptable in the long run?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mjbo

I noticed the same in Tesco recently...I am a very infrequent visitor to Tesco due to a previous 'incident' when trying to use my credit card long before Chip & Pin was introduced. The checkout operator carried out the swipe that you mention and when trying to key in my pin the keypad was very dodgy (it kept telling me that the pin was incorrect despite the fact that I knew I had entered it correctly each time). The operator kept telling me I was entering the pin incorrectly and would not acknowledge that the pinpad was possibly faulty. Needless to say I nearly walked off without making any purchase... !!!:(

Advertisement