Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gore in 08

Options
  • 09-09-2006 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

the more I look around the more I see that Gore would seem to be te frount runner for the white house from either party.
    does anyone else rate him

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He won't run again.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

the promotion tour for the inconveient truth seems to be the start of his campain. it being released now also means that it should be on national tv around the time of the general election in 08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think he is more comfortable as an advocate for a cause rather then spending 4 years fire-fighting.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think he's already said he isn't using it as a platform to run, and doesn't want to run again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

oh my god are you ceral? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

yea it was in an interview on US TV (Leno? Stewart?) where he clearly said that he would not run for president again. He has a new thing hes focusing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Cremo wrote:
    oh my god are you ceral? :p
    Super serial!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Hobbes wrote:
    yea it was in an interview on US TV (Leno? Stewart?) where he clearly said that he would not run for president again. He has a new thing hes focusing on.
    manbearpig is still on the loose then :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Can someone explain the whole "serial" thing to me por favor? I saw that episode of South Park, but didn't get that bit :( I'm stuper!

Did he mess up a speech or somethin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

BuffyBot wrote:
    I think he's already said he isn't using it as a platform to run, and doesn't want to run again.

He never actually ruled out running again. In all the interviews I've seen of him he says he has no intention of running but wouldn't rule it out completely when pressured into giving an answer. I reckon he is well into his campaign to get the nomination and if he looks like he will get enough support I think he will declare himself a candidate.

If he did get elected I doubt he would be as vocal on environmental issues though, although maybe I'm judging him too harshly. He would certainly have a difficult time convincing the American public to change their lifestyles to a less polluting way and he would also come under furious attack from big business if he tried to implement any meaningful environmental protection policy. He would also have to convince a lot of Americans that global warming actually exists and that it’s not just some left wing conspiracy.

My choice so far would be Mike Gravel. He looks to want to go in the complete opposite direction to the America G W Bush created.

I doubt this chap will put in a realistic challenge but from a very quick read of his profile he looks like who I would vote for if I was an American. He seems to favour an intelligence led war on terror as opposed to deploying troops and invading countries. He talks about addressing the causes of terrorism and working out problems through diplomacy. He says he wants to give the people the final say on important issues by giving them a vote on big issues such as when going to war. He also wants to invest in education, a universal health care system and is a fan of direct democracy. He is strong on environmental issues and wants to move away from dependence on oil.

On the downside he is a bit old at 76 and that will go against him. While his policies above look good to me they are essentially very un-American in todays American mindset so I don’t expect him to get too far in his campaign, although he is level with Kerry and close to Clinton in the polls so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

mike65 wrote:
    I think he is more comfortable as an advocate for a cause rather then spending 4 years fire-fighting.

Mike.
    Agreed. It's a pity though, I've been very impressed with him in interviews over the past year or so (I haven't seen An Inconvenient Truth yet), and he'd be a pretty damn good choice seeing as he didn't lose in 2000...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

daithimac wrote:
    the more I look around the more I see that Gore would seem to be te frount runner for the white house from either party.
    does anyone else rate him

Gore? Gore?

Wasn't he the cop that pulled Al Pacino for speeding in Scent of a Woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

i think howard zinn should run for president on an independent ticket.
    he would have no chance of winning, but it would be very interesting to watch

I doubt he would need to hide his credientials as an enviromentalist, all he need do is to make sure that his major enviromental speech be given from new orleans.
    I would think that his campain is well under way. even the timing of the movie means that it should be on free to air television in the run up to the election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

daithimac wrote:
    I doubt he would need to hide his credientials as an enviromentalist, all he need do is to make sure that his major enviromental speech be given from new orleans.
    I would think that his campain is well under way. even the timing of the movie means that it should be on free to air television in the run up to the election

And so rings his death knell once more.

Why the hell would he want to be president anyway. The next guy in has to come up with an exit strategy from Iraq and Afghanistan and then figure out where US foreign policy is going. Not to mention preventing 9/11 Part 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

daithimac wrote:
    the promotion tour for the inconveient truth seems to be the start of his campain. it being released now also means that it should be on national tv around the time of the general election in 08

If Al Gore runs, the move will not air on TV during the campaign. American Stations have to give equal coverage to both sides, and the movie would be counted as part of Gore's airtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Mick86 wrote:
    Why the hell would he want to be president anyway. The next guy in has to come up with an exit strategy from Iraq and Afghanistan and then figure out where US foreign policy is going. Not to mention preventing 9/11 Part 2.

This might have been true if he ran 4 years ago, whom ever served the 2005-2009 term was going to get blamed Iraq.

By the time the next president is inaugurated in 2009, they will have no problem to cut and run, assuming the problem still exists.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I think if Gore ran he'd be at an instant disadvantage, despite the hype he's building up from An Inconveniant Truth... firstly he's already lost before and the Reps would have a field day (their campaign would basically be "imagine what would have happened if Gore was in the White House on 11th September"), secondly people would grow cynical of his environmental advocacy and say it was just a way to pimp himself to run again; he'd lose supporters for both of his causes in doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

clown bag wrote:
    He never actually ruled out running again. In all the interviews I've seen of him he says he has no intention of running but wouldn't rule it out completely when pressured into giving an answer. I reckon he is well into his campaign to get the nomination and if he looks like he will get enough support I think he will declare himself a candidate.

If he did get elected I doubt he would be as vocal on environmental issues though, although maybe I'm judging him too harshly. He would certainly have a difficult time convincing the American public to change their lifestyles to a less polluting way and he would also come under furious attack from big business if he tried to implement any meaningful environmental protection policy. He would also have to convince a lot of Americans that global warming actually exists and that it’s not just some left wing conspiracy.

My choice so far would be Mike Gravel. He looks to want to go in the complete opposite direction to the America G W Bush created.

I doubt this chap will put in a realistic challenge but from a very quick read of his profile he looks like who I would vote for if I was an American. He seems to favour an intelligence led war on terror as opposed to deploying troops and invading countries. He talks about addressing the causes of terrorism and working out problems through diplomacy. He says he wants to give the people the final say on important issues by giving them a vote on big issues such as when going to war. He also wants to invest in education, a universal health care system and is a fan of direct democracy. He is strong on environmental issues and wants to move away from dependence on oil.

On the downside he is a bit old at 76 and that will go against him. While his policies above look good to me they are essentially very un-American in todays American mindset so I don’t expect him to get too far in his campaign, although he is level with Kerry and close to Clinton in the polls so far.

Rule number 1: is he bald or balding? that would rule him out straight away

I think Harrison Ford should run for President, I'm sure alot of Americans would vote him in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

John McCain all the way!

• Advertisement

I think he could turn losing in 2000 into a plus he's already said that while strongly disagreeing with the supreme courts decision he accepted it. he justified this with a joke along the lines that once the supreme court made a decision then the only alternative would have been violent revolution. Also if anyone mentioned what if He was the one in the oval office on 9/11 they need only be shown the footage of the president sitting in the florida school for what seemed like forever before leaving to fly god knows where around the country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

daithimac wrote:
    Also if anyone mentioned what if He was the one in the oval office on 9/11 they need only be shown the footage of the president sitting in the florida school for what seemed like forever before leaving to fly god knows where around the country

Not to mention no Iraq tilting at windmills if Gore had been president.
    That one would have to occur to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Gore is seen as a mad ecowarrior over here right now, he is gone very far left in his views from what i can see, I wouldn't think he would get much of a vote even if he decided to run again.
    I think the democrats are preparing Hilary for the run for the president, She was interviewed on Larry King last night for the 9/11 ceremony and the issue came up of her running, she declined to comment but you got the feeling it was a real possibility!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

murfie wrote:
    Gore is seen as a mad ecowarrior over here right now, he is gone very far left in his views from what i can see, I wouldn't think he would get much of a vote even if he decided to run again.
    I think the democrats are preparing Hilary for the run for the president, She was interviewed on Larry King last night for the 9/11 ceremony and the issue came up of her running, she declined to comment but you got the feeling it was a real possibility!!
    since when is caring about the environment a left wing view?

Gore defined his political career by his support for free market capitalism and his support for NAFTA during the Clinton Gore campaign in 92 resulted in Ross Perot snatching 1/3 of the democratic vote as a third party candidate. (Ross perot's anti nafta position has been 100% vindicated since then by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

clown bag wrote:
    He would also have to convince a lot of Americans that global warming actually exists and that it’s not just some left wing conspiracy.

Unfortunately I don't remember where I read this, it was getting on for a year ago, but I read that surprisingly most Republican voters are actually in favour of environmental protection and even more bizarrely apparently the majority of Bush voters thought in one survey that he supported Kyoto. Unfortunately though as I say I can't remember where I read it, it could have been a Michael Moore book but can't say for sure.

I saw in Gore's interview with Adam Boulton that he opposed the Iraq War from the outset so fair play to him on that.

I'd say running is a possibility but I'd be surprised, he's probably waiting to see who else ends up doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

flogen wrote:
    I think if Gore ran he'd be at an instant disadvantage, despite the hype he's building up from An Inconveniant Truth... firstly he's already lost before and the Reps would have a field day (their campaign would basically be "imagine what would have happened if Gore was in the White House on 11th September"), secondly people would grow cynical of his environmental advocacy and say it was just a way to pimp himself to run again; he'd lose supporters for both of his causes in doing so.

Didn't Nixon lose to John F Kennedy? Losing a presidential election before didn't stop him from becoming president.

This has grabed my attention a great deal (too much free time) . so I did a little bit of research. he has stated while in australia that he has not ruled out ever seeking the presidency again but that it is not something he is focused upon doing. his wife stated in a TV interview that she would support him if he wished to run and would think he would make a wonderful president. he's also been giving speaches not only on the enviroment, but also against the Iraq war and the gross expansion of excutive power under the bush administration which would entice small goverment conservatives. Theres no way in hell this guys not running

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Akrasia wrote:
    since when is caring about the environment a left wing view?

Well when Republicans all over the country are calling for the exploration of oil in Alaska regardless of the impacts on the environment up there, than yes I would conclude that care for the environment is not a value held that closely by the right and it appears the only ones promoting it are the left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭freddyfreeload

I saw "An Inconvenient Truth" last week. I went in sceptical about his creds, I couldn't really remember him making a big noise on the environment during his election campaign, but I came out with a very different opinion of him.

He is definitely very serious about the issue and extremely eloquent, entertaining, and effective at framing the argument. Everyone should see this movie. I think even the doubters of global warming would come out with an altered opinion.

I sincerely hope he does run for the next presidency, and after making this film there's no way he could do so without standing on the environment as his key issue. Hopefully the whole of the US and beyond would be treated to his impressive and impression-making slide show.

And I think post Katrina that America is ready for this. True, the Reps will try to make out he'd destroy the economy. But he has a few aces up his sleeve. As he points out in the movie, the US car industry is in decline because it cannot export its cars. And it cannot export its cars because they don't meet the environmental standards of foreign markets like Europe, Japan and even China. (A potentially persuasive argument with automotive industry and steelworkers?)

He might not get elected, but he'd have put this issue exactly where it belongs right now. Centre stage.

As for who might become the next US president, my prediction is that Condoleezza Rice will win the Republican ticket and then the election, no matter who the Democrats put up against her.

ff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As he points out in the movie, the US car industry is in decline because it cannot export its cars. And it cannot export its cars because they don't meet the environmental standards of foreign markets like Europe, Japan and even China.
    Perhaps a little O/T but the reason the US car industry can't export its cars is because they're crap! :) To be fair they're not designed for conditions outside the US where fuel is expensive and corners numerous.
    I very much doubt emissions are the issue, US emission standards have actually been ahead of Europe for decades (several European manufacturers were forced to withdraw various models from the US market in the 70's because of emissions) and we're only catching up now. California in particular has had very strict limits for many years (pollutants, not fuel consumption, because smog is the problem not fuel tax.)

So basically they're focused on the US market and can't, or won't, try to understand that markets outside the US are very different.
    my prediction is that Condoleezza Rice will win the Republican ticket and then the election, no matter who the Democrats put up against her.
    :eek:

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

Advertisement