Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GPRS charges

• 09-09-2006 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭

i just had a typical meteor customer care conversation so i have to come here and get the answer. this is how the conversation went:

me:when using GPRS, do you get charged for sending data as well as receiving it?

him:hold please.................................

him:you get charged for sending but not for receiving

me: that can't be right. you definitely get charged for receiving data

him: no, that's right

me: so you're telling me i can download a whole website to my phone and it won't cost anything

him: no, that will cost money

me: but i'd be receiving the data and you said that's free

him: no, you'd be taking the data, not receiving it. if you receive something like an email its free but if you send an email it costs money

me: ok, thanks......bye......./head explode

so, does the cent/kilobyte amount charge for upload as well as download?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You see - I'd have not got off the phone until I got the answer. Ring back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ciaranfo wrote:
    You see - I'd have not got off the phone until I got the answer. Ring back!
    i think the rapture might come before my answer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

think their charges are 2c/kb in any direction. pretty much the same as vodafone's off portal browsing costs

and they've no proper security settings so you can't use some web sites like m.gmail.com and you cant get server settings to use pop3 :(

Tree wrote:
    and they've no proper security settings so you can't use some web sites like m.gmail.com and you cant get server settings to use pop3 :(
    I was testing last night, if you use their ISP APN the security works. But you need to call to opt in and half of them don't know what you're on about.

But yeah, they've no SMTP server so sending e-mail is a no-no, unless its an eircom account and their SMTP goes on one of its usual "whitelist everybody" moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

Gmail has its own SMTP server, but its SSL encrypted so the chances of your phone supporting that is doubtfull to say the least.

• Advertisement

donutface wrote:
    Gmail has its own SMTP server, but its SSL encrypted so the chances of your phone supporting that is doubtfull to say the least.
    The Motorola V535 supports SSL, but it doesn't support authentication so you're still in a limbo.

Advertisement