Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hot should CPU Heatsink get?

Options
  • 09-09-2006 8:54pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just helping someone out by installing a new DVD Writer in their computer when I noticed that the CPU Heatsink is completely passively cooled i.e. there is no fan. While running it gets very hot, pretty soon after boot up it gets so hot that I actually can't touch it (almost Evangeline Lilly hot, but not quite). I don't have much experience with AMD systems but I assume this isn't right? The thing is the system itself runs fine, doesn't seem sluggish or anything.

Details:
    AMD 462 CPU (a.k.a. Socket A) @ 900 MHz
    It's an old Compaq Comptuer...

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You could possibly cable-tie on an 80mm fan, maybe put some rubber sticky pads or similar vibration-absorbing spacers between the fan and heatsink, but if the cpu has been running sinde it was bought, it's probably ok.

I seem to remember the early AMD Athlon chips having a higher max package temp than the equivalent P3/P4 chips at the time , around 90°C if memory serves.
    Obviously it shouldn't be that hot, but 50-70°C is stil pretty hot. What does the readout from any temp monitoring chip say? Systool, Speedfan or similar programs (SMBus/I²C/ISA device access) should be able to tell you if Compaq put one on the board.
    Failing that a thermometer left in contact with the fins should give you a rough idea, though expect it to be a good 5-20°C lower than the actual die temp.
    Replacing the thermal compound/paste/pad with some new stuff may be a good idea as it sounds like it's a good 5 years old.

Give the heatsink fins and the case fans a good cleaning and de-dusting is also an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

SyxPak wrote:

I seem to remember the early AMD Athlon chips having a higher max package temp than the equivalent P3/P4 chips at the time , around 90°C if memory serves.
    Obviously it shouldn't be that hot, but 50-70°C is stil pretty hot..

this is correct, if it has always been like this, dont worry about it, make sure the case is dustfree and the heatsink is not clogged with dust

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Thanks a lot lads. I've put some new thermal compound on it as per Syxpak's suggestion, hopefully it'll ease any excessive thermal load on the CPU.

One thing that does worry me is that when trying to install Windows XP on it I got a blue screen and it froze, rarely happened to me during an install before. This to me would seem like a definate CPU related problem, unless it was a once off...

There's no OS on it at the moment so I can't check for any temperature sensors...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You should be able to see the cpu temps in the bios.

Advertisement