Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat with head sore

Options
  • 09-09-2006 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

My 1 year old cat recently had some fleas... as a result they were scratching... anyway Sophie (the 1 year old) developed a big scab on her head which then came off.. probably with the help of her moms licking :D

Anyway its now a half inch diametre circle on her head with no hear.. every time it scabs she either gets at it or her mom licks it clean.. Not sure which...

Is this something that needs a vets attention or am i better just leaving it to heal? Is there anything i can do?? I do have a spray caled Dermoplast.. its for people.. i did not want to use it just in case... that at least would help prevent infection etc.

Seems like a common thing so someone must have experience with this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

I wouldnt spray anything on it, a lot of human products don't do so well with cats. Specially if it is being licked, the substance would be ingested.
    A lot of sterilising products for humans can actually be fatal for them.

I would take it to a vet, he / she would be able to see it and decide on the proper treatment.

B

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

unless you are unhappy with her or if there is signs of an infection (nasty discharge,smelly) take her to the vet.

otherwise try bathing it twice daily in 2teaspoons epsom salts (available in chemists) dissolved in a mug of warm water dab it with cotton wool, it will sting a bit, you can soak up excess when finished with clean cotton wool. It's extremely healing and is harmless and good for cuts etc in pets/humans too! You can use a little bit of sudocrem also after (I often use it with no ill effects on pets) PLEASE DON'T USE ANY PRODUCT FOR HUMANS UNLESS YOU'RE 100% SURE IT WON'T DO ANY HARM TO PETS...

If you don't see an improvement in 2-3 days go to the vet....
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Grand thanks for the advice.. i figured it might not be a good idea to use a spray etc... Thanks for all the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

I would definately pay a visit to the vet.

It could be ringworm and contagious also for people and other animals. Ringworm is not a worm but a fugal disease and can be treated very well, but it needs a lot of cleanliness.

Could also be someting else, but that's where you have your vet for to tell you.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

how did you get on????

• Advertisement
Advertisement