Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fashion show rejects too-skinny models

• 09-09-2006 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I just read this article and think it's a good idea and hope it spreads to other shows (Paris & Milan) as well.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14748549?GT1=8506

Spanish fashion show rejects too-skinny models
    Women with very low body-mass index not allowed on runway

MADRID, Spain - Spain’s top fashion show has turned away a slew of models on grounds they are too skinny — an unprecedented swipe at body images blamed for encouraging eating disorders among young people.

Organizers of the pageant, known as the Pasarela Cibeles, used a mathematical formula to calculate the models’ body mass index — a measure of their weight in relation to their height — and 30 percent of the women flunked, said the Association of Fashion Designers of Spain.

The association said Friday it wanted models at the show running from Sept. 18-22 to project “an image of beauty and health” and shun a gaunt, emaciated look.
    The decision was made as part of a voluntary agreement with the Madrid regional government, said Jesus del Pozo, a designer who is part of the association, said Thursday.

Last year’s show, also called Madrid Fashion Week, drew protests from medical associations and women’s advocacy groups because some of the models were positively bone-thin.

'Mirrors for many young women'
    This time the Madrid regional government decided to intervene and pressure organizers to hire fuller-figured women as role models for young girls obsessed with being thin and prone to starving themselves into sickness, said Concha Guerra, deputy finance minister of the regional administration.

Fashion shows, Guerra said, “are mirrors for many young women.”

Del Pozo said this was the first time skinny models have been snubbed at a major international fashion show.

Ryan Brown, director of marketing and public relations in North America for the Elite modeling agency in New York City, agreed. “It is very unprecedented,” said Brown, who has nothing to do with the Spanish show.

He welcomed the decision, saying “I think it is great to promote health.”

Madrid’s show, which features mainly Spanish designers, is not as prestigious as catwalks in Paris or Milan but “it is not at the bottom of the pile,” he said.

Hoping to change the industry
    The impact of rejecting skinny women would have been greater at those other glitzier venues. Still, he said, “I am sure the industry is taking note.”

The body mass index is a tool for doctors who study obesity. It is calculated by dividing weight in pounds by height in inches squared, and multiplying that total by 703.

If the resulting number is between 18.5 and 24.9, the person’s weight is normal. Below 18.5 they are underweight. In the case of the Madrid show, organizers rejected women with indices under 18.

Brown of the Elite agency said fashion shows reflect the tastes of clothing designers, who for now prefer the Kate Moss look as opposed to the curvier dimensions of models such as Cindy Crawford in years past.

“They don’t want voluptuous girls any more,” he said. “It would be nice if fashion got back to that.”

© 2006 The Associated Press.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Good.. not that i care about fashion or fashion shows.. but i cant stand skinny women!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Some of us are born skinny and can never be 'natural' voloptuous women.Most catwalk models are tall and naturally skinnier and are not 'aneroxic'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

There's a difference between being naturally slim and too skinny. If someone is natrually slim then most likely they'll have a low BM number, but not below 18.5, if someone has starved themself into skinnyness it will show on their BM number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The bmi? groan!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Piste wrote:
    There's a difference between being naturally slim and too skinny. If someone is natrually slim then most likely they'll have a low BM number, but not below 18.5, if someone has starved themself into skinnyness it will show on their BM number.

Yup, that can get confusing. I'm kinda tall and thin (naturally thin), and out of curiosity a while back I found out that my BMI is just above the too skinny mark.
    Thing is, I'm in no way anorexic :)

• Advertisement

Yeah the BMI isn't great, someone can have a very high muscle density and be quite squat (rugby players) and so would have a BMI over 25, but that doesn't mean they are unhealthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jackie06

I wanted to respond to this because, from extensive experience, I have worked with hundreds of models over the years and I can say, hand on heart, the majority of them are NOT naturally skinny or thin! The majority of them don't eat, and I really mean don't eat! I have spent 10 hour days working with models and have witnessed the majority of girls having only a glass of water or a small packet of sweets throughout a whole day. I will say that this is usually the case with newer models and the older or more experienced girls are usually very healthy and look after themselves well. There sadly seems to be a real lack of awareness regarding the modelling industry and I applaud campaigns like realbeauty from Dove. We are all different shapes and sizes but as long as we are healthy and looking after ourselves that should be all that matters!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Piste wrote:
    Yeah the BMI isn't great, someone can have a very high muscle density and be quite squat (rugby players) and so would have a BMI over 25, but that doesn't mean they are unhealthy.

You're comparing the muscle of a rugby player to a catwalk model?? Do you think any of these girls have any decent amount of lean muscle on them? No. It's the muscle that throws out the BMI equation for most 'fit' people, but in this case, I don't think it'll be too far off because these girls don't have a lot of muscle. THey're skin & bones!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

YAAAAAAY for the not-so-sickeningly-skinny madrid models! Let's hope it spreads!

taconnol wrote:
    You're comparing the muscle of a rugby player to a catwalk model?? Do you think any of these girls have any decent amount of lean muscle on them? No. It's the muscle that throws out the BMI equation for most 'fit' people, but in this case, I don't think it'll be too far off because these girls don't have a lot of muscle. THey're skin & bones!

No I wasn't comparing the muscle of a rugby player to that of a catwalk model, I was pointing out how unreliable the BMI scale is as a measure of health because so many fit, muscular people are classed as overweight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Piste wrote:
    I was pointing out how unreliable the BMI scale is...

It is by no means a 100% accurate scale, but it is usful for estimating where you are in terms of body make-up. The majority of the time, it will give an accurate representation, in the cases which break the rule it will be quite clear (IE, bodybuilders with low BF, Rugby Players etc...). It is not really touted as a 100% reliable/accurate representation of obesity/underweight but it does give good indications.

I imagine it is a perfectly useful scale for these catwalk models, show me any of them that are under the required BMI and have good body composition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

when your knee is the widest part of your leg and your elbow the widest part of your arm there is something wrong

I don't even think the average guy finds women that skinny attractive. To clarify there is a big difference between being thin and looking like a stick insect.

If you look at the FHM top 100 women every year it is always women with considerably more mass than a catwalk model that are in it

Advertisement