Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Junior Doctors

• 09-09-2006 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

I'm referring to the documentary on RTE last Monday - anyone see it? Any thoughts? I missed it, and apparently the radio talk shows were lighting up with people the next day giving out about the poor interns!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I was watching the start of it, but it was too scripted for my likings... I was cringing.

*aaaaaaand ACTION*
    "Now Laura, I really need those reports on my desk by tomorrow morning -- this is unacceptable"
    "Sorry sir"
    "Okay *walks off*"
    [shot of Laura looking disappointed with herself]
    *aaaaaaaaaand CUT*
    That's a wrap, people!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

..As can their seniors, doctorpreneurs.
    ----M.D., MBA.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

..As can their seniors, doctorpreneurs.
    ----M.D., MBA.;)

heh?

Really enjoying this program. Not sure what you mean about scripted, the last episode didn't seem like that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

ucd_guy wrote:
    I'm referring to the documentary on RTE last Monday - anyone see it? Any thoughts? I missed it, and apparently the radio talk shows were lighting up with people the next day giving out about the poor interns!

Excellent show.
    Had sympathy for them until they mentioned they earn €60,000 in their first year out of college

Damn my poor leaving cert:(
    I'm in the wrong career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭crybaby

80 hours weeks though are ridiculous and dangerous aswell i thought i was bad doing 60

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭StarryBud

micmclo wrote:
    Excellent show.
    Had sympathy for them until they mentioned they earn €60,000 in their first year out of colleger

yeah but you have to stick your hand up people's asses the 'hole' time - no thanks

gimme the dole queue and a nice bag of bud any day o the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Actually I know all the people in the show personally and non of it was scripted at all.Also as for their earnings. Junior doctors only earn 15 Euro an hour. The only reason they may get 60,000 are so big is cause they work insane hours. Also thats pre tax!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

StarryBud wrote:
    yeah but you have to stick your hand up people's asses the 'hole' time - no thanks

gimme the dole queue and a nice bag of bud any day o the week

You are allowed to use examination gloves and a lubricant !

Incidentally, the €60 K includes huge hours of overtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

micmclo wrote:
    Excellent show.
    Had sympathy for them until they mentioned they earn €60,000 in their first year out of college

I'm in the wrong career

Jesus dry your eyes. You'd want to be making a fair bit for working 110 hours per week. My calculator says that's 65% of the week working!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭SoSueMe

438,000 viewers decided to watch the first episode of this crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

jesus how some people think they are overpaid, we'd all make that or more if we were to work those hours, it's the dismisive consultant types you should save your ire for, they swan around doing FA and i'll tell you most of them don't work 60 hours a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

This is one of RTE's better productions.

This looks like a variation on a series produced by BBC TV many years ago. They featured a few medical students from interview at A levels stage. The more interesting part was the follow ups that they did several years after the students qualified and went into practice.

I hope that RTE will do follow ups on our four stars in about five years. Any bets on where they will end up in five years ? My money is on USA, Canada and Oz !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

micmclo wrote:
    Excellent show.

I'm in the wrong career
    Their basic wage started at €35K and the rest was made up from overtime, so therefore it's a wage that a lot of people could earn (in theory) if they put in the overtime.

It's funny though, such an important job and you have to work such long hours and therefore affecting your decison making capabilities. There were parts of the show when the pretty brunnette looked liked she was out of her depth, but the fact that she was working ridiculous hours with little or no sleep is a more than an adequate excue imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

IMO it's just dangerous to have them working as many hours. Their genereally the first point of contact and if you've been awake for 30 out of the last 36 hours your going to make mistakes. Thats just human nature. OK if your packing bags in a supermarket but not as a doctor. Surely if you've worked a full day and the following night you should have the next day off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 medicine08

Could someone please give me informatin of where I can locate more episodes of JUNIOR DOCTORS- I've seen part 1 on google and wanted to know if anyone would have any ideas.
    If you have the episodes could you email them to me?
    If you can't email them and have them on dvd/video, could you copy them and I'd be willing to pay for them?
    THANKS SOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IS THERE ANY NEWS ABOUT THEM BENIG REPEATED ON TV AGAIN??? I HEAR THAT THEY WERE ON A MONTH AGO BUT I WASN'T AWARE OF IT AT THE TIME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Contact the production company and offer to pay them for the cost of copying DVD's of the show. You might need to sign an agreement saying you won't distribute etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I hope you are not looking for them to make a decision about studying medicine when you leave school, 'Medicine08'?

And remember the show was set in St Vincents, an altogether more pleasant environment than (some of) the city A&E hospitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 an_upstart

Any info on where I could watch this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭crazygirl101

aw i enjoyed the programme so much... i certainly dont think it was scripted... i had one of the interns as one of my docs when my appendix burst an i can honestly say she was the nicest and kindest doc ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 an_upstart

aw i enjoyed the programme so much... i certainly dont think it was scripted... i had one of the interns as one of my docs when my appendix burst an i can honestly say she was the nicest and kindest doc ever!

Which one?:rolleyes::)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭crazygirl101

i had sinead beirne :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭haemfire

omg

Advertisement