Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom fault not fixed after 2 weeks

Options
  • 09-09-2006 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been covered already, but the search function is not working.

I'm asking on behalf of a neighbour who is an oap and knows nothing about her rights. Basically her phone and about 4/5 other phones are not working with the last two weeks and will not be fixed for about another week at least. There is work going on on a water pipe in the area and seemingly this is the reason. The thing is that at least 3 of the houses concerned are occupied by old people who are not likely to kick up a stink. Also they don't have mobiles, so they are a bit isolated. I think the whole thing sounds a bit ridiculous to be honest.

However what I want to know is, has anyone heard of a situation like this before? Surely these people should be entitled to a refund of their line rental etc as their lines are not actually working. I've looked on the eircom & comreg websites, but cannot find anything that would indicate which or whether.

thanks for any info I might receive

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

Report them to Com Reg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Don't you get free line rental or something for a month if they fail to resolve a fault within a week?
    think that info is listed in the phonebook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'm sure that used to be the case that the info was listed in the phone book, but it's not in the current edition & not on their website. Then customer service and eircom don't really go in the same sentence.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cabaal wrote:
    Don't you get free line rental or something for a month if they fail to resolve a fault within a week?
    think that info is listed in the phonebook

If that was the case, we would all be getting free line rental ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

Sully04 wrote:
    If that was the case, we would all be getting free line rental ;)

LOL ......oh so true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Dont OAPs get free line rental anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I think what they actually get is a certain amount towards their phone bill.

Eircom aren't going to pay out anything if the fault is someone else's fault. And if it's owing to a water problem, it ain't their fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Star*

I agree with the report to comreg !!

It should be in your terms and conditions with eircom that any fault should be resolved within 24hours as your phone is seen as your life line as such and an important emergency service.

I would recommend contacting comreg and advising them of the situation at hand - g'tee that it will be sorted in a few days MAX.

re: free line rental for oaps - yep as far as i know this is correct. I think it kicks in with widows pension etc etc.

www.oasis.gov.ie would have more information on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think what they actually get is a certain amount towards their phone bill.

Eircom aren't going to pay out anything if the fault is someone else's fault. And if it's owing to a water problem, it ain't their fault.

Rubbish. Eircom are contracted and being paid to provide a service, just because the water company or whoever knocked out a cable doesn't matter. If lighting struck the cable, Eircom could hardly say it was gods fault, sue him.

Eircom can recoup there money from the water company, they cannot push on responsibilty to someone else as far as the customer is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gonna play the Devils Advocate here...

Eircom owes them nothing, as it wasn't an Eircom fault. As for Eircom fixing it, they'd have to wait untill the water pipes gets fixed, and then going in themselves to fix the line.

True, Eircom are contracted to provide a service, but if you unplug your phone, are Eircom to blame for you not recieving any phone calls? No. Likewise, if someone breaks the connection, should Eircom pay you for the loss? No. You may have a claim against whomever broke the line, but not against Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

But you don't have any ownership over the cables. And Eircom aren't a hardware company, they're hardware, and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

the_syco wrote:
    Gonna play the Devils Advocate here...

Eircom owes them nothing, as it wasn't an Eircom fault......

True, Eircom are contracted to provide a service, but if you unplug your phone, are Eircom to blame for you not recieving any phone calls? No. Likewise, if someone breaks the connection, should Eircom pay you for the loss?

Of course Eircom are not to blame if you unplug your phone, don't really know where you are going with that. They are responsible for providing a service in which they are being paid for and contracted to do. Customer deals with Eircom they have no interest in a 3rd party that may disrupt Eircoms ability to provide its service.

Eircom
    "We have the responsibility of maintaining all wiring up to and including the master socket"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Do you have a service level agreement guaranteeing you telephone service? If you look for this, they can do it, by establishing a redundant circuit to your premises. But this costs money.

Advertisement