Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do The Scobes Rule Cork?

Options
  • 09-09-2006 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭

I hate to say it but cork is overun with the shaven headed addidas langers, morning, afternoon, night, they are everywhere. not just City, suburbs both North and South, Personally I can deal with them but I live in Passage West the place is worse than it ever was, The gangs at night are bigger than I remember when bushing at my age, even joyriding happens here which never did, Im on a rant now so better stop but how do people feel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

the chavs do rule cork,the hoops and tracksuits have taken over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

As a new arrival to cork, I have noticed some things, but didnt know what to make of them.

First the track suits, which I just thought people were outdated in their fashion (it was popular in america in the late 80s early 90s but has been 'out of fashion' for a decade there, although the inner city/gang elements hung onto em until the late 90s, even they wont wear that now).

The shaved heads, I just thought that it was mostly older people, who were doing that to hide hairloss. I take a different approach, I dye mine blue (or other colours) to make it more obvious :P There were only 2 people that I saw that looked ... sinister I guess is a suitable word, with shaved heads. It wasnt just their head but their body language, and other stuff. But I dismissed it as they were just sitting there sipping coffee at the bodega.

As for gang activity, anything I have seen here, which admittedly isnt much, is a lot less than other places I have lived, so from an outsiders perspective its not a bad place to live. Although I did walk up to the blackpool shopping centre, and along the way it seemed like there were less than social youths in the area. Graffitti, which isnt that bad compared to other places I have lived, seems to be higher there than some other areas, the general vibe was one of 'elderly ladies should not be on the street after dark'. And I didnt really see anyone that looked menacing in and of themselves, it was just the area ...

I do think that if this is something the overwhelming majority of corkians do not want, then it has to be nipped in the bud before it becomes an entrenched problem that is impossible to get rid of. But it takes many people actively doing something (I will leave what that something is to others as I do not feel qualified to say) rather than just discussing the problem and letting the situation wash over you.

But what do I know I just moved here a week and a half ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

I hate to say it but cork is overun with the shaven headed addidas langers

You looking at my girlfriend? Whatchou say bout my mudder?

*butt&run*

Yes, it is. 'Course, they were born here, so 'overrun' ignores the fact that it's their home turf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

i think everywhere in this country is over-run by skobies,im from tralee where they are rampant,even more so than cork.you cant walk fvie yards without bumping into one,well heaven forbid you actually bump into one,they dont like that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

I don't think its bad at all. Maybe this is just the kind of stuff that seems to change when you get older.

I don't remember being a scobe but I'm sure that some people thought I was. I did stupid **** and pushed to see what I could get away with. You can only get away with some things when you are young so get it out of your system I say.

There are still the same percentage of trouble-makers and scumbags there was when I was younger, an increase in tracksuit sales hasn't changed that.

In my opinion you are letting some kids in leisurewear affect you a little too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think everyone who isn't one of them is more than a little aware. Yes, there are a lot of scumbags in Cork but there are a lot of them everywhere. It's really a problem because I think a lot of people feel intimidated in their own city. But just because someone has no class, doesn't mean they're a criminal.

What I find strange is how leniant parents are here, I see 4 year olds walking up to the shop on their own, I see 13 year olds smoking and walking around at all hours of the night, if you asked me I reckon there should be some sort of test before people can have kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭cork-langer

shaven heads, tracksuit pants, gold chains and how could ye all forget 'The Tash'... You cant be a proper cork scobe without that bit of bum fluff on your face....

And yes i agree, the city is over run with these unacceptable excuses for human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

They just think they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

shaven heads, tracksuit pants, gold chains and how could ye all forget 'The Tash'... You cant be a proper cork scobe without that bit of bum fluff on your face....

And yes i agree, the city is over run with these unacceptable excuses for human beings.

could be describing any medium to large town in Ireland really :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

U are totally spot on. I also live in Passage West and I was beginning to think it was just me but yes, there is a huge amount of lil scumbags around Passage...they are like one happy family too...I am not from Cork but have been living in Passage for the past 3 years and it is getting worse..don't even mention the lil boy racers...so sad in their Fiestas and Corollas...they are drag racing or something now up the road in Pembroke Wood..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

dead right...the parents have a lot to do with it...a kid has to pick it up from somewhere and if they are not picking it up at home then they are certainly not being corrected when they are at home..

The whole country is a mess...a lot of these scobes are provided for by the State..they have little or no respect for others and their property..OK, don't get me wrong...there are of course scobes from families not on welfare I know..they are just as bad and they equally have no respect for anything..and equally there are lots of people (the majority) from poorer backgrounds who are very nice and decent people.

What can be done about it...for one they have to start respecting and fearing the law. At the moment these ****s can do as they please and they know the law can't touch them...sure they will get some solicitor to say that they are from a disadvantaged background without a good start in life...blah blah..the cops have to be given the power to punish these scobes..and the parents should be held liable for minors.

yeah, I am on a right rant now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

What can be done about it...for one they have to start respecting and fearing the law. At the moment these ****s can do as they please and they know the law can't touch them...sure they will get some solicitor to say that they are from a disadvantaged background without a good start in life...blah blah..the cops have to be given the power to punish these scobes..and the parents should be held liable for minors.

Saying you come from a disadvantaged background is a lot more acceptable as an excuse than saying you should get a shorter sentence because you went to a good school and come from a good family. If that's the case I think you should get a longer sentence than somebody who grew up in a s**thole, had no parental supervision, been taught by teachers who by and large didn't give a crap etc and doesn't know any better.

As for the OP post, I don't live in Cork anymore but yeah I think it's gotten rougher and I think there's a lot more people like that. I went to school in a so-called rough area and you'd see people coming back after the summer holidays with a new "harder" accent and what we termed the pubic moustache on their upper lip. The tracksuit thing is everywhere now and it's stupid because Cork is only city really where you can get stopped for wearing white runners when you're out because white runners equals scumbag. Yeah, maybe about a decade ago. Not anymore.

Basically it comes down to the State providing an outlet for young people in disadvantaged areas so they don't just hang around. I remember sitting on the walls of the local petrol station because there was nothing better to do, or at least that's how we felt at the time. We weren't scumbags but plenty of my mates at the time would have looked the way you described. It's ridiculous that the State provides tax incentives to build housing in a booming economy but doesn't provide any such incentives for building youth centres. That's what Ireland, Britain and the United States is really missing - proper supervised places for young people so they can hang out together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

I hate to say it but cork is overun with the shaven headed addidas langers, morning, afternoon, night, they are everywhere. not just City, suburbs both North and South, Personally I can deal with them but I live in Passage West the place is worse than it ever was, The gangs at night are bigger than I remember when bushing at my age, even joyriding happens here which never did, Im on a rant now so better stop but how do people feel?

well their was a time that sf used to take of passage west, never any problems then, but now since the new houses are after going up and sf are out, its left to the guards to keep the peace... or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭idlesupernova

Ya, the money being found that time quietened things down with SF big time, theres still a few left mostly old timers or wannabes, although they were never a big deal in the first place, all friendly and top lads and Im not political at all, just anything too much out of order was'nt tolerated,

Drinkin and a bit of doobie was no big deal either once you were out of sight not causing grief, no as the other poster whos here 3 yrz said its scobe central, no different from anywhere else thats working class but in 3 years its gone a bit mental, bit ironic really the way theres beautifal new houses, facilities opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭nah_biy!

Cork is teeming with scum, I hate it so much its unreal, no wonder door policy is so strict around the City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

yore ma rules cork tbh

Advertisement