Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving UK Car Permanently In Eire

Options
  • 09-09-2006 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Cousin of mine has just bought herself a €25k Mitsy Pajero from the UK, her husband has an address in ulster and has purchased it in his name so he's going to insure it in Ulster and put her on his policy, but my dad was saying that the customs and excise will have it off her in no time with the amount of checkpoints that are around now.

So is she just fooling herself or can this be done and gotten away with it?

-VB-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

I know a guy who was on a course - work related- in England last year and while there he bought a merc. He finished the course and is home a year now. He intended on registering the car when he got home but he was stopped by the Guards one day and he said that he was on a break from the course for a week and was driving back to London the following day. He got away with it and now says he will use the same excuse next time he gets stopped.

He is a chancer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Volvoboy wrote:
    her husband has an address in ulster and has purchased it in his name so he's going to insure it in Ulster

You are sounding like big Ian!

Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan are also in Ulster. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Ok, Northern Ireland,

And, Who??

-VB-

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Big Ian Paisley!

The longest a car can stay in the RoI without being registered is 12 months provided that you notify the VRO of its presence. In theory, you could then take the car out of the country for a day and bring it back in again.
    If you don't notify the VRO about the car then in theory it is illegally here as you are required to tell them within 3 days of arrival. If the gardai spot it they can (and do) take it away until VRT and fines(?) have been paid. Otherwise it gets crushed!
    The insurance may also be invalid if the car is here more than a certain period (often 20 days).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Volvoboy wrote:
    So is she just fooling herself or can this be done and gotten away with it?

Yes, and for a while.

How long is a 'while'? Penalties to recover the vehicle from seizure can be very heavy. Not worth the risk really.

Basically, a resident of the state cannot drive a tempoarily imported vehicle. This has all been discussed in detail here before.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

kbannon wrote:
    Big Ian Paisley!

The longest a car can stay in the RoI without being registered is 12 months provided that you notify the VRO of its presence. In theory, you could then take the car out of the country for a day and bring it back in again.
    If you don't notify the VRO about the car then in theory it is illegally here as you are required to tell them within 3 days of arrival. If the gardai spot it they can (and do) take it away until VRT and fines(?) have been paid. Otherwise it gets crushed!
    The insurance may also be invalid if the car is here more than a certain period (often 20 days).

Maybe i'm a bit cynical but do the authorites have a tendency to pick on those yellow Ni/British reg cars?
    We all know that there are maybe thousands of eastern european cars still around with many over the 12 month period but never re-regged nor confiscated.
    2 neighbours on my road have driven the same Polish regged cars for nearly 2 years now without a change of reg yet another neighbour had to re-reg her NI car due to pressure from the authorities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Laredo

gurramok wrote:
    Maybe i'm a bit cynical but do the authorites have a tendency to pick on those yellow Ni/British reg cars?
    We all know that there are maybe thousands of eastern european cars still around with many over the 12 month period but never re-regged nor confiscated.
    2 neighbours on my road have driven the same Polish regged cars for nearly 2 years now without a change of reg yet another neighbour had to re-reg her NI car due to pressure from the authorities!

Have you reported the polish cars to the Revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

You are sounding like big Ian!

Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan are also in Ulster. ;)
    I wish Cavan was in NI....birdy birdy birdy birdy

Advertisement