Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hajj

• 10-09-2006 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Hi i am a young muslim living in dublin all my life.we (family) have booked hajj for this december and i just want to find out if theres any websites that people know if that go through the WHOLE process of hajj.i cannot find any good ones.

i want to read up on it before i go as i donot know much of the history of hajj etc.
    thanks alot for your help in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Salam dre! :)

That's really something great to be performing Hajj. I wish that you have an enjoyable journey and, more importantly, have your Hajj completely accepted for God's sake alone.

It's certainly a good idea to be reading up on it in advance as there's a good bit to be reading. I did 'Umra (minor pilgrimmage) last year and, thank God, it was great. The tour company gave us a wee booklet with all the information required to perform 'Umra and they of course also sent someone with us who was very knowledgeable so we could ask him any questions about any of the details we weren't sure of. I'm not sure if you've booked with a company yourselves or if you've just booked the air tickets and are planning to do it by yourselves.

Anyway, if you're doing it with a company then maybe you can get in contact with them and ask them if they have any reading material you could check out or maybe they can direct you to a good site or something. There's always one of the main mosques in Dublin as I'm sure you can find out some stuff from there.

I did a quick google for "rites of hajj" and found a few sites. I didn't read them all so it's hard to know if they're any good (and also I'm no expert so wouldn't be able to tell anyway) but take a look anyway and you should be able to get a good enough idea for the moment. I really would urge you to try and have the whole process completely learnt off by heart before you go and keep revising on the way there to make sure you don't forget anything.

If you get a hold of a good booklet, you can carry it with you whilst performing the hajj itself. I'd recommend doing that as that's what I did.

The sites:
    http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/hajj/Journey/ - Seems good but not much detail but has what seems to be a very useful picture showing the steps of Hajj in graphical form.

http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/hajj/stepbystep/_anyday.asp?StartWithLeft=_anyleft.asp?LeftReference=1_1b.jpg&StartWithRight=1_1_right.htm&IndexBottom=indexBottom_day1.htm&IndexScrollingBottom=indexScrollingBottom_day1.htm - From the same site. Seems better but still void of some important details.

Anyway, like I said, best to get in contact and talk to some people like an Imam of one of the main mosques.

Let us know how you get on :)

Also found this site. Never been to this soundvision site before so I have no idea on its credibility or correctness in general but the guide looks pretty good so I thought I'd put it up.

http://www.soundvision.com/Info/hajj/handbk.asp

One more thing. A lot of booklets recommend saying certain supplications whist doing tawaaf (circumbulating the kaaba) to the point of making you feel like it's a must to say these specific supplications. The truth is that you can say anything you wish in any language you wish and I would recommend this since it provides for a closer feeling of connection with Allah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

thanks alot for your help.i will look through these sites and will update you.thanks again

Look forward to it :)

the_new_mr wrote:
    Look forward to it :)
    i wonot be looking forward to it.its all gone wrong for me.the 2 week packages were all sold out and my aprents are now going on the 3 week ones and i cannot go as its my final yr in college.:mad: its really annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

can you not just get your flight seperate and stay with them?

Hobbes wrote:
    can you not just get your flight seperate and stay with them?
    we are trying.we have contacted the guys that booked it for my parents and they said they will try there best but it looks like its booked out.they said that they took bookings this time last year:eek: .

Sorry to hear about that. Well, I hope it works out for you man. Whatever happens is for the best God willing. Pray to God that you get to go and if you're meant to then it'll happen God willing. If you don't get to go then try and accept it as best you can as it is fate.

Advertisement