Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing registered letter.

Options
  • 10-09-2006 5:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Sorry if it's right not place.

I was sending money to England in April or May prity sure it was April anyway's went post office to send letter asked for a envelope the woman said we dont do them what do you want to send I said post money, the woman Oh use registered letter so they have to sign for it so it's 100% safe.

So I posted the money €2,950 to be exact, yes I know I shouldn't have posted that much but I did the woman did say it was insured €350 I think she said but I never though of anything bad happening.

Yes you guess right no letter, nobody signed for it.

Rang office the woman it was delivered. Some time went by I then rang again the woman this time was nice on the phone she said nobody could have told me that because it went to England she had to ring Royal mail.

She rang they said oh we have no proof it was delivered. She sent me a form I sent it away sometime went by rang them they said they never got it so they sent another one, filled that in anyways I sent them an e-mail they got back saying they still have received no word from England.

Now the nice one on the phone did say they were having alot of trouble with missing letters and stuff like that which involve Royal mail anyways how long does it feckon take for them to find out what happened or even for me to try get some money back?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Do you get a tracking number with Registered mail (I think you do) why can't they trace it from that? Did you keep a receipt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Yes I got one.

There saying they cant confirm it was delivered or not delivered until Royal mail gets back to them but jesus how long does that take and when I rang the woman the second time she said she rang them but they said they cant confirm it was delivered so what are they waiting on.

I dont have the receipt they asked me to send it in with the form I had to fill out.

AFAIK An post cant trace a letter once it gets to England all they can do is confirm it went to England what happens after that I dont know.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Did you go to www.anpost.ie and enter your tracking number ? It usually (not always) will show the progress of your registered letter in the UK (though I did once se my letter had the status of being returned to sender but it was actually delivered - bloody Royal Mail)..

The track only works for 16 weeks after you send item I posted mine longer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Registered mail to the UK is a bit of a comedy.

Your money is lost. All you can do is try to claim the 350 euros.

I have one of these pending since May 2005 (only for 20 euros though). They won't do anything for you unless you force their hand. I would suggest making a claim with the small claims court for 600 euros. You could write to comreg first, but I'm not sure there is much point. The small claims filing might get them to move (although nothing is guaranteed when it comes to An Post, as you have probably realised).

• Advertisement

Does that mean registered mail outside Ireland is actually worthless then (apart from the coverage)? :) It's not much good for tracking.

Well, it's ok as far as it goes. I mean, it's better than regular mail. But I wouldn't regard it as a cast iron service or anything like that. If it really has to be there, use a courier service.

The coverage isn't worth much if you have to go to court to collect on it.

I can't say that it is as bad to other countries. The big problem I have experienced is with the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

So I posted the money €2,950 to be exact
    :eek::eek::eek:

My god. I'm struggling to think of any situation where you'd be sending that kind of cash abroad that wouldn't require the use of Bank Transfer, Draft or Postal Order.

I think you've just learned a very expensive lesson...and Christmas just came early for some smelly postal worker in england :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Channel 4's Dispatches programme did and in-depth review of 1st class and registered mail within the UK about 6 months back. The upshot of the review was that RM had a lot of staffing problems, that guys fresh out of the nick on parole were wandering into sorting offices with no security checks and getting hired and that it was basically a shambles.

They did a test where they sent small amounts of money in a card via 4 different types of mail and seemingly using the registered and 1st class options are liable to give away the fact that there is something valuable inside...I forget actual figures, but they sent 20 and I think less than half arrived with money still in them or at all.

I'm sorry for your loss, but TBH why anyone would send that kind of cash through ANY postal system is beyond me. In fact I'm not sure if it's even legal (feel free to correct me here).
    Personally I wouldn't put 20 quid in an envelope to shove in someone's letterbox...

It is not advised to send any amount of cash via the post. Perhaps if it were a cheque or postal order then you could trace it and cancel it. Why the postal worker didn't tell you about finding an alternate method of sending money is another question, sending cash is not covered if it was registered. A lesson learned but a very expensive one. :(

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote:
    It is not advised to send any amount of cash via the post. Perhaps if it were a cheque or postal order then you could trace it and cancel it. Why the postal worker didn't tell you about finding an alternate method of sending money is another question, sending cash is not covered if it was registered. A lesson learned but a very expensive one. :(

Well the one didnt feck say that when she was looking at me putting it in infact she told me to do it. I wanted a normal envelope but she said oh no dont use that use registered post letter. It is covered for cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

I wanted a normal envelope but she said oh no dont use that use registered post letter. It is covered for cash.

Have you talked to An Post about the advice given to you by their operative . Registered mail is only proof of delivery of a letter/parcel to an address, not that the person named on the letter parcel received it.

Don't you have to declare an amount in euros on the registered envelope, if so did you just mark down the amount of cash you sent? It says on the An Post website that here no value is declared a maximum of €25.39 compensation is payable.

I agree that if an An Post employee advised you to use registered mail to send money to the UK that the company may have been negligent. It is well known to An Post staff that the registered mail service to the United Kingdom is not reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

In fairness to the an post worker, it sounds like all she did was advise the OP to send it registered post instead of normal post if the OP was sending it by post, so she wasnt actually giving advice on the best way to send money. OP did you ask?

She could have suggested sending it by An Post's courier service.

She could have suggested sending it by An Post's courier service.

I think the An Post courier service (SDS anyway unless there is another one I didn't know about) was shut down last year sometime I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

An Post, for all their failings, cant really be responsible for what silly people choose to put in envelopes to send internationally. :rolleyes:

An Post still has a courier service.

I think it is pretty careless for An Post to accept mail that can't be delivered satisfactorily. The staff at An Post customer service know there are problems with UK registered mail, but they never tell the customers this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Well the one didnt feck say that when she was looking at me putting it in infact she told me to do it. I wanted a normal envelope but she said oh no dont use that use registered post letter. It is covered for cash.

She saw you putting the guts of three grand in an envelope?

IMO the envelope likely never left that post office...

• Advertisement

To be fair, you will be able to track it at least as far as the dublin or athlone mails centre, so i wouldn't say that was it.

Advertisement