Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The oddest ingredients in your larder?

• 10-09-2006 9:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, what's the weirdest thing in your larder? Naturally, what's weird to you may not be weird to someone else, but in terms of degrees of exotic fancy...

I think the fish derivative products are the weirdest in mine. And weirder still, how addicted I've become to them. Dried shrimp, shrimp paste and fish sauce. I find it hard to believe what a fantastic difference they can make to a dish. I cooked pad thai for dinner last night and it was great. I used to buy fish sauce in the tiny spice-bottle-sized bottles. Now it comes in litres.

On the flip side, I have lentils in my cupboard and I just have no idea what to do with them. They're hardly exotic, but I'm stumped.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

As the title says, what's the weirdest thing in your larder?
    Dried Jellyfish, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Carageen Moss.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

On the flip side, I have lentils in my cupboard and I just have no idea what to do with them. They're hardly exotic, but I'm stumped.

Weight watchers have a tasty Spicy Lentil Soup

400g can chopped tomatoes
    25g split red lentils
    400ml water
    1 veg stock cube
    1 tea spoon mixed dried herbs
    1 small onion ,chopped
    1 small red pepper chopped
    1 tea spoon of tobasco sauce

place all ingredients in a pot ,bring to the boil and simmer for 30 mins ,then blend and enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Hmmm...dunno that there's anything truly weird in my larder. The closest I'd get would be stuff like:

Hemp seeds
    Hemp oil
    Pumpkin seeds
    Pumpkin oil

But, well, y'know....I don't consider them odd cause I'm kinda used to them...

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Well since I threw out the spray-on cheese we got in the States, it's all been pretty normal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement