Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel engines

Options
  • 10-09-2006 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭

Dad changed his 04 Bmw 520i for a 06 520d a few months ago, it was me who told him to get the diesel ( i think the smallest petrol engined 06 5series is now the 523?)

on paper the diesel is a better engine than the 2.2 petrol, torque bhp etc. So as he doesnt drive fast no point in him getting a bigger engine, told him to spend the money on leather seats and phone kit etc.

Anyway i was driving it for a bit last weeked, and the noise of the diesel really bugged me, his is an auto and a low speeds the diesel engine made an awful dronel. I really dont think i could own one, and if im right i think the bmw 2 litre unit is supposed to be pretty good.

Do you get used to it diesel owners?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Some diesels are better then others in the noise department. Mercs and VW's seem to be very noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

No you never get used to the noise but you do get used to looking at petrol cars way back in your rear view mirror :D

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

Yes when you drone into the petrol stations you can then deal with it nicely!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Cucullan wrote:
    No you never get used to the noise but you do get used to looking at petrol cars way back in your rear view mirror :D

maybe but his 520d can eat my 323cis dust :D

that is until i have to pull in to full up and hes long gone !!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Cyrus wrote:

Auto diesels have always reminded me of a city bus when accelerating at low speeds. The direct drive of a manual sounds much better in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Cyrus wrote:
    Yes. Just got a 320D (150 bhp model).

Can be a little annoying when stuck in traffic, but not as annoying as having to fill up with petrol every week!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I drive an 06 520d and while it is obviously noisier than a petrol its not noticably so. I only notice it when I get out of the car with the engine running. Anyway how often do you sit in traffic with no radio on ? With the radio or music on it dont matter.

And for that extra torque and fuel efficiency its well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

id say the auto exarcebates the problem to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Auld fella has a 530d and its pretty quiet at low speeds. He has a auto/manual tiptronic gearbox though so it revs like hell when he slips it into that mode.

Anyone have any idea what the new 535d is like BTW?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

To be honest, even the most modern diesel engines are worlds away from a good 6 cylinder petrol in terms of refinement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement