Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Gaming Newbie - HELP!

Options
  • 10-09-2006 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

I don't even know where to start - finally got broadband - would like to play online - first person shooter type stuff - not really into rpg - I have Half Life 2 with Counterstrike but where do I go to play this online? Is there a cost involved here - are there any games available online? Sorry but I haven't a clue!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

No cost counter strike, and all other multiplayer steam games you've already bought are free to play online.

Just open steam, launch counter strike, and select find servers, and your off. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Half life 2 deathmatch and enemy territory would be my favourite multi player fpses. Enemy territory is completely free and there's a link to it in the sticky up the top of the games board. Counter strike is at its best when people are at the same skill level, it's the same in the 2 above but in CS it's always seemed far more apparent that i sucked on a decent server.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah CS isn't easy, takes practice to get good. I should know, I'm terrible.

Both World of Warcraft and Eve Online have 2 week trials. I think. Well Eve does, I'm sure someone in the from the Wow forum can confirm if WoW does. Anyway, they're both massively online mutltiplayer or whatever mmporpg stands for but in very different ways.

Wow is gold old knights and dwarfs and +5 this and +4 that. Eve is the same only with spaceships and asteriods and fairies. The Sun, Moon and Stars if you will.

They are both enormously fun but I've played neither of late cos I've just got a psp and I've hacked it to buggery and am feasting on delights I NEVER DREAMED OF BEFORE!!!!!1.

I should sleep now. Well maybe just one more ass kicking with HWOARANG!

P.s. Welcome to boards :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

amp wrote:
    I should sleep now. Well maybe just one more ass kicking with HWOARANG!

You should sleep now? at 9am? Just how much PSP'ing are you doing?

To the OP CS is great and if you like it you may like Battlefield. Both need patience to get into though because they are established so long everyone is going to be at a higher skill level until you get into them and its very easy to just not play because you keep gettin your arse kicked and the 13 year old start giving you abuse about being a noob. Nothing pisses me off more than that.

CS and Battlefield are probably the two biggest shooters online. There's also a free multiplayer edition of FEAR just released that is supposed to be making waves. Its a full standalone multiplay game based on FEAR. Might be worth a look.

As Amp said there's a few MMORPGs out there which sap up the hours from your life but anyone who gets into them absolutely love it - but they will end your life/relationship etc. so check these out at your peril!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

thanks guys I dipped my feet in the water and got my butt kicked like you said!! Will take a while methinks there's always one freak who gets off on constantly killing the noob!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

yeah...

sorry about that, but its the only way I can get it off without resorting to bondage chickens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

you can practise offline against bots in cs and battlefield2,to get get used to waepon compos etc,get bf2 demo see if you like it,you,ll need at least 1 gig ram online, i played the demo medium detail on 500meg ram pc 2.6ghz amd.Theres loads of multiplayer demos to download on gamershell.com, eve online is a very complex scifi strategy mmo try cs ,bf2 first ,have a look at unreal tournament 2005 ,its got great bots,easy to try for a newbie,you can change the bot speed and skill level .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Yeah i reckon u should start with Battlefield. U can get the BF2 demo and it will be alright. the skill level isn't as high as in the full version either and u spawn back faster when u die. Good if your dieing alot, unlike CS where u'll have to wait till the end of the round to get back in again. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

thanks again folks - one more thing....I'm also looking for a good online Space trader type game - any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Space Trader? You mean fighting or what?

Freelancer is a popular one - pretty sure that's the name.
    Freespace 2 is the greatest ever - old, but still fantastic.
    Eve online is an MMO - would have trading/loot/economy but will cost you per month and will sap your life, though there is probably a free trial.
    Homeworld 1+2 are good space-rts games (real time strategy, think command and conquer in space, if you know what C&C is!).

Not entirly sure what you ment by Space Trader, but have a look at those anyway!

Space-anything is a dying breed atm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement