Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

negativity

• 10-09-2006 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am an incredibly negative individual who struggles to see positives in most aspects of life. I live in world of fear, i'm not crippled so i don't do anything but everything i do i think twice and over analyse about potential negative scenarios that may happen. Mostly my negativity arises from social anxiety. I was severly bullied as a teenager and as a result today i struggle to interact with people, react to things in the wrong manner and i am crippled with shyness born out of my lack of self confidence. When i go out i'm afraid i'll bump into people in fear of been socially akward etc. it's crazy but i can't snap out of it. I have little abilty to handle everyday situations correctly. My social anxiety has spead out to many other areas of my life. I'm worried about work, the future, 80% of my thoughts are negative and fearful. Life is a negative hell and i'm struggling to beat it since i suffer from depression too. I do see many great positives about myself but i dwell on all the negatives that's my main issue. I am starting to take cognitive therapy sessions in an attempt to counter my negativity. It's very early days and i felt a slight benefit after my first 2 sessions but then the slightest trivial bad event came up and i'm beating myself up in negativity once again. Is cognitive therapy beneficial for my problem or are there other solutions to tackling this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Yes cognitive therapy is definitely the right track. Dont expect it to happen over night and DONT GIVE UP!!! Keep at it. Two sessions is not enough for lasting effects.

You will dip - its normal. Just dont give up. You'll get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy means retraining yourself to recognise unhelpful thoughts or feelings and stop yourself - it takes a lot of time to change a lifetime's habits and involves a conscious effort on your part.

I posted about this book yesterday but there's a book Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies and it's brilliant if you can't afford regular sessions. I know what it's like to get caught up in anxiety. Stick with it and really put in the effort. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

deb-560 wrote:
    I was severly bullied as a teenager and as a result today i struggle to interact with people, react to things in the wrong manner and i am crippled with shyness born out of my lack of self confidence.

I am starting to take cognitive therapy sessions in an attempt to counter my negativity. It's very early days and i felt a slight benefit after my first 2 sessions but then the slightest trivial bad event came up and i'm beating myself up in negativity once again. Is cognitive therapy beneficial for my problem or are there other solutions to tackling this?

If therapy is to work, it takes time. There is no silver bullet for us all to take that will suddenly cure us of our troubles. Bring these concerns up in your next session.

When very young, I was fearful about encounters with strangers. I got into martial arts (taekwondo) and overcame my fears. It has served to improve my confidence, self-esteem, and keeps me very fit. Sometimes physical fitness can improve your outlook on life, too. Everyone is different and unique. Not sure MA would help you, but you might enquire? The MA forum is very helpful on boards if you do.

Advertisement