Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't access some sites with smart bb

• 10-09-2006 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I set up my smart broadband yesterday, I'm not using their modem though because I have a belkin G+ wireless modem and router that I'd rather use :)

It's all working fine except for when I try to access certain websites, for example MSN, oceanfree and smart's own site :( They just don't open and IE crashes after a few minutes.

Any suggestions about why this might be?? Of course smart's customer service is not available today.....

Cheers,

R.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ruatha wrote:
    Hi folks,

I set up my smart broadband yesterday, I'm not using their modem though because I have a belkin G+ wireless modem and router that I'd rather use :)

It's all working fine except for when I try to access certain websites, for example MSN, oceanfree and smart's own site :( They just don't open and IE crashes after a few minutes.

Any suggestions about why this might be?? Of course smart's customer service is not available today.....

Cheers,

R.

I have just accessed all the sites you mention on a linksys wireless routermodem (wag54gs) without any problem so it is obviously not a Smart issue - and I doubt if an isp can cause Internet Explorer to crash?

Smart (like other isps by the way) will not officially offer you support for equipment they do not supply however unlike most other isps they do have a support forum http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/index.php?

which if you can access it in your particular circumstances can be very helpful either via the Smart staff who contribute there or Smart customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Since IE is crashing I'd suggest using an alternate browser such as Firefox or Netscape to see if that works. Also do you have a firewall of some sort, it may be blocking the sites.

Finally I'd do a full virus and spyware scan. Programs like Hijack This and Stinger would be good ones to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ruatha

Ok, I tried firefox with the same result and I've disabled my antivirus software - still the same problem :(:confused:

Could I have set up the modem incorrectly? It seems unlikely considering I can access most sites perfectly.

Any more suggestions?

Cheers guys,

R.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can you post a traceroute to one of the non-working sites? That will show where the problem is.

Start/Run/cmd

In the box that opens type

tracert www.msn.co.uk

Hit enter

Replace the address above with whatever address you want to check. Do a couple to different non-working addresses to show where the problem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Are you using a firewall? The level of your security settings may be preventing these sites from working - if it has different security levels take it down a notch and see what happens. I had a lot of problems with Zonealarm when I upgraded to the pro version it just gives too many options for a novice user I ended up going back to the normal free version and everything's fine now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ruatha

Ok, I turned down the security level with no effect.

Here's a trace for oceanfree:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Ciara>tracert www.oceanfree.net

Tracing route to www.oceanfree.net [194.145.128.82]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.2.1
    2 33 ms 32 ms 33 ms 84-203-32-1.mysmart.ie [84.203.32.1]
    3 36 ms 36 ms 35 ms ge1-3-0-107.core1.tcy.dub.stisp.net [84.203.130.
    125]
    4 36 ms 34 ms 35 ms ge1-3-0-100.core1.hba.dub.stisp.net [84.203.130.
    1]
    5 37 ms 35 ms 35 ms fe0-0.br001.inex.esat.net [193.242.111.17]
    6 37 ms 35 ms 39 ms vlan2.rt001.cwt.esat-x.com [193.95.129.3]
    7 38 ms 36 ms 36 ms vlan56.rt507.cwt.esat.net [193.95.132.18]
    8 vlan56.rt507.cwt.esat.net [193.95.132.18] reports: Destination net unreach
    able.

Trace complete.

Does that shed any light??

Cheers,

R.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

uninstall those toolbar spyware apps such as google ie toolbar, yahoo toolbar, alexa toolbar and google desktop and restart, does IE work now ? whether a route works or not IE should not crash.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you actually tried connecting with the Aolynk?

Have you any settings anywhere on your computer from your previous isp?

Advertisement