Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skateboarders

• 10-09-2006 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Mods,

I realise that the 'skateboarding morons' thread has been deleted/moved. Apologies for resurrecting the topic. Just a short message to all those who were supportive of my original point.

I have received an extremely abusive pm from one of the skateboarding proponents, which adequately highlights for me their mentality.

I presume others may have received the same.

Regards,

Freddie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Report the PM to an admin.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I fully agree with something being done to the last thread but was their really a need to delete the whole thing?, should it not have been locked instead? :confused:

I've not received any PM's yet,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What's really needed is a Mod with balls to deal with these threads in a timely manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

You mean a mod with time to deal with all the rubbish that gets posted? I've asked Stephen to be a mod of the KK board and I think I need 1 other mod to co-mod the Eaterford city board, or else take over South East alltogether. Looking after children takes time and effort, something which I currently don't have a lot of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Freddie59 wrote:
    I have received an extremely abusive pm from one of the skateboarding proponents, which adequately highlights for me their mentality.

i haven't been fortunate enough to receive one. there must be something special about you. perhaps i will get one when they are finished breaking stuff down at the plaza

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Smart little fcukers is all they are. I saw some of them abusing two elderly women out walking along the plaza on friday evening. They were doing their thing on their skateboards and one of they fell and the skateboard went flying in the direction of one of the ladies. The lady got an awful fright and she said something to one of them, next minute there were 4 of the little scumbags over abusing the two of them.

So much for them not been allowed on the plaza. Why are they not been prosecuted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Fredie59,

That guy has received a site ban for his troubles. I'm going to discuss another mod for this regional forum.

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Freddie59 wrote:

In all fairness thats one persons view. dont tar them all as being /thinking the same.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

In every large crowd of people - most of the time there is always going to be a few who are just gonna cause havock. I used to be skate years ago, not to much, but I know what its like not to have anywhere to go. People hate you, the cops hate you and nobody cares if you got no place to go. Skaters in Waterford have no good place to go. The Plaza is ideal for them as its perfect to do stunts etc.

However, no matter how good it is -- I dont think its right that they destroy and damage the place. It was afterall tax payers money that goes into the clean up operation, those CCTV cameras (probably fakes) and signs. Cops try to raid the place, the skaters just flee in different directions. They probably just dont have enough man power to surround them.

Why cant money be spent on creating a proper facilitie for bikers and skaters to go to, developed by the skaters themselves, giving them a chance to stay away from trouble and stop them from causing damage?

Anyone who treats any member of public with disrespect, espicaly elderly, or anybody who has to send abusive messages through the PM feature here to respond to negative feedback -- must have something wrong with them. Its just not the right way to do things. Treat others like you want them to treat you. The elderly are frail and have no chance, how much of a man does it make you to stand up to them eh? Stick to someone your own age and size. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

Dont they have a place in front of the R.S.C. with ramps and stuff like that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

paul666 wrote:
    Dont they have a place in front of the R.S.C. with ramps and stuff like that

Yes but thats a good distance away from the City Centre, and doesnt look adequate enough. Its tiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

I have personally seen parents/guardian drop kids off in their cars to the Plaza with accompaning skateboard et all. They could have easily driven out to the RSC and dropped them off there.

Bards wrote:
    I have personally seen parents/guardian drop kids off in their cars to the Plaza with accompaning skateboard et all. They could have easily driven out to the RSC and dropped them off there.

Ah ok. Are the CCTV in the plaza actualy real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Bards wrote:

YEah cause parents have all the time in the world to be bringing their 17/18/19 year olds out to the "skate park" ( i dont skate and even i can see that its a piece of sh**e)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

YEah cause parents have all the time in the world to be bringing their 17/18/19 year olds out to the "skate park" ( i dont skate and even i can see that its a piece of sh**e)

This thread is slightly annoying because people are saying that the skateboarders have no place to go, when they clearly have a skatepark at the RSC. Not everyone lives close to the RSC, but such is life!

Parents may not have all the time in the world to drive around their kids, but the point was made that when the parents do have the time, and drop them at the plaza, they could just as easily have dropped them at the RSC. Besides, why can't they just walk, or skate?, to the RSC?

Thought the last thread should have been relieved of any of its offensive posts and locked, rather than deleted, personally.

merlante wrote:
    This thread is slightly annoying because people are saying that the skateboarders have no place to go, when they clearly have a skatepark at the RSC. Not everyone lives close to the RSC, but such is life!

Its tiny. They feel its not adequate for there needs, and they use the Plaza cause its bigger, got loads of places to do there tricks on, full view from public, seating area for friends to sit, watch and chat.

Compare all the bits and pieces of the Plaza to that tiny little "thing" on the Cork Road.
    Parents may not have all the time in the world to drive around their kids, but the point was made that when the parents do have the time, and drop them at the plaza, they could just as easily have dropped them at the RSC. Besides, why can't they just walk, or skate?, to the RSC?

Same reasons as above. Besides, the cops will actualy do something about it if your spotted on the street. And, imagine all that group thats at the plaza skating over to the cork road. Half of them wouldnt fit :P
    Thought the last thread should have been relieved of any of its offensive posts and locked, rather than deleted, personally.

In some cases when moderating, if a thread is just full of offensive comments - its just a bitch to clean out and its just better to trash it. Im assuming thats what the mods thought when they deleted it. Tho, I didnt look at the thread for some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Sully04 wrote:
    Ah ok. Are the CCTV in the plaza actualy real?

Some of them are real and some are Feak, dont ask me how i know but i know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Sully04 wrote:
    Why cant money be spent on creating a proper facilitie for bikers and skaters to go to, developed by the skaters themselves, giving them a chance to stay away from trouble and stop them from causing damage?

The work been done in the park is for Bikers and Skaters. And when the plans were been drawing up the skateboarders were invited to give WCC there point of views. I belive there was a few meetings held between the planning and the skateboarders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Mossy Monk wrote:
    i haven't been fortunate enough to receive one. there must be something special about you.

Perhaps Mossy, perhaps.:p Sure aren't we all special at the back of it all - including you.:D

In all fairness thats one persons view. dont tar them all as being /thinking the same.

Again, in fairness, Christophicus, their behaviour on that thread last week leaves a lot to be desired. The only way to force this issue is to fully impose the penalties under the law.

I don't believe it's a minority. The numbers on the plaza adequately demonstrate that.

• Advertisement

flamegrill wrote:
    Fredie59,

That guy has received a site ban for his troubles. I'm going to discuss another mod for this regional forum.

Paul

Cheers Paul.

Freddie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 the-postman

you do realise not everyone on the plaza is a skateboarder and the RSC is real sh**e its far too small and a walkby for scumbags and all that... and its not really the skaters that damage the plaza... why would they damage shtuff they'd be skatin on? When wan of yee complained about an abusive PM your basically abusin the "skaters" by callin em morans and shtuff.... your basically smartinin up yer abuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

we've heard this ****e before. it's boring

you do realise not everyone on the plaza is a skateboarder and the RSC is real sh**e its far too small and a walkby for scumbags and all that... and its not really the skaters that damage the plaza... why would they damage shtuff they'd be skatin on? When wan of yee complained about an abusive PM your basically abusin the "skaters" by callin em morans and shtuff.... your basically smartinin up yer abuse

Drop the victim complex. Nobody on here cares nearly enough about skateboarders one way or the other to hate them. People just hate the way the plaza is taken over and broken up by skateboarders -- and others.

And skateboarders do cause plenty of damage to the plaza. Just because you're not a fan of the RSC park doesn't mean you have to go straight to one of the cities main amenities!

Anyway, we already had all these arguments in a deleted thread...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Change the record,
    and its not really the skaters that damage the plaza... why would they damage shtuff they'd be skatin on?

So tell us, who is damaging it so.

Oh and its a keybord you have attached to your PC not a mobile phone keypad, so please drop the text messages type of text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

You do realise not everyone on the plaza is a skateboarder and the RSC is really sh**e. Its far too small and a walkway for scumbags. Its not really the skaters that damage the plaza. Why would they damage stuff they'd be skating on? When one of you complained about an abusive PM you basically abused the "skaters" by calling them morans (morons.. Morans are people with Moran as a sirname) and stuff.... You're basically smartinin - (No such word, please rewrite) up your abuse

Sorry.. I couldnt help it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

Guys can we drop this subject. We all saw how the last thread turned out. I request that this thread be closed because obviously some people like to stir produce of anal excretion on Boards.

Guys can we drop this subject. We all saw how the last thread turned out. I request that this thread be closed because obviously some people like to stir produce of anal excretion on Boards.

Shane - this is a very hot subject in Waterford at the moment which offends many, many citizens. We have an area which is provided for locals and tourists alike which was supposed to provide an area where people could relax and chat.

What have we? A bunch of juvenile delinquents populating it while at the same time trying to justify their behaviour under the 'we have nowhere else to go' banner.

Are you suggesting that, because you disagree with it (for whatever inane reason) that we are prohibited from discussing it? The only anal excretion visible here is the reply which contains grammatical/spelling errors which a four year-old would not make.

I think that's called censorship.;)

Also, the fact that the last thread was deleted, the same tired arguments are coming up. It would have been much better to lock the last thread so that people signing up or coming on late in the day could see the arguments and wouldn't feel the need to get into all that again...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

Freddie59 wrote:
    Shane - this is a very hot subject in Waterford at the moment which offends many, many citizens. We have an area which is provided for locals and tourists alike which was supposed to provide an area where people could relax and chat.

What have we? A bunch of juvenile delinquents populating it while at the same time trying to justify their behaviour under the 'we have nowhere else to go' banner.

Are you suggesting that, because you disagree with it (for whatever inane reason) that we are prohibited from discussing it? The only anal excretion visible here is the reply which contains grammatical/spelling errors which a four year-old would not make.

I think that's called censorship.;)

The fact of the matter is that you have resurected a one-sided debate.
    You obviously are too ignorant to even listen to the views/suggestions of the skateboarders. And by correcting the gramatical errors made by the users of boards and considering yourself superior because of that, you are obviously just being a bully and acting the 'tough man'.

Furthermore, you evidently have not studied your arguements to the fullest extent because if you had, then you would find that in fact only the minute few of the "juvenile delinquents populating it" (the plaza) actually skateboard. The majority of the "delinquents" do only use it as "an area where people could relax and chat". Consider a sports complex as an example. If right now, there were 40 people in this complex. 5 people were in the pool swimming and the other 35 were in the gym running could you categorise them all as swimmers? NO obviously not, you would say that there are 5 swimmers and 35 gym users.

Now before you say it, yes i am fully aware that there are the few people who maliciously deface the area with graffiti, but i do not see how you could even consider that as being justification enough to not allow the people from enjoying this facility. Can you even honestly tell me that it is people from this peer group that deface the facility and not some scumbags from down the road?

Shane

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement