Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT jobs in Sydney

Options
  • 10-09-2006 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi there,

My boyfriend and myself are planning to go to Sydney next Janurary. I am working as a Software Engineer at the moment with C++ and Java and I want to continue to work in IT in Oz.

Will it be difficult to get a job over there in the IT sector? I hear that it is strongly .net over there?

Would it be worth my while learning .net stuff like vb.net and C# at this stage?

Laura

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Sorry geek girl, I heard from a friend out there that IT jobs like thoseare impossible to come by in Aus. Perhaps you should consider a finance position. I hear that sector is booming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 geekGirl

I heard that there is as lot of dot.net stuff in Austrailia and J2EE jobs?

gg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I don’t know what to believe about the Sydney job market at the moment as I’ve been talking to a lot of people and I’m getting conflicting stories from all of them. Some tell me there’s nothing to be found and others are telling me that they’re turning down jobs every week but they all have the similar qualifications and experience.

With regard to .Net, I would say go ahead and learn it as what’s your worst case scenario? You have an extra few lines for your CV? There really is no down side to having it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

i agree, ive been hearing conflicting stories too.

Im over in briksbane for 3 weeks in january, gonna try see what jobs are going and places to live and then hopefully 6-9 months later i will be moving over there

Advertisement