Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure treated timber-does it need re-treating?

Options
  • 10-09-2006 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I've got about 85 metres (including both sides of some of it) of 1.8m and 1.2m vertical board fence and it really is going to be a big task to treat it. I've bought the protector and am getting a sprayer but I'm starting to think...does it actually need doing? Pressure treated timber is supposed to last twenty years anyway so will using a preservative actually prolong its life?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Yorky wrote:
    I've got about 85 metres (including both sides of some of it) of 1.8m and 1.2m vertical board fence and it really is going to be a big task to treat it. I've bought the protector and am getting a sprayer but I'm starting to think...does it actually need doing? Pressure treated timber is supposed to last twenty years anyway so will using a preservative actually prolong its life?

Any tips would be appreciated.

I would be cautious about the resilence of PT timbers anything like 25 years, a number of elements can undermine the apparent 'life expectancy' such as installation, site conditions (exposed?), climate etc etc.

PT protection is undermined by cutting, nailing etc. We receommend that all structural (Fencing, posts, screens) PT timbers be treated every 5 years. Spraying is a very effective way to do this and although time consuming it is much quicker than rolling/brushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Thank you for your reply, Sonnenblumen. The fence is about fourteen months old and has not been treated yet so does it need treating now and again in five years time?

When you say "we recommend" are you in a related business?

Thanks again.

Advertisement