Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speed Tests

• 10-09-2006 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one on speed test sites. Did two checks for someone who has NTL 6 Meg. Speed test site reporting 2.95 Megs last night and today. However, when download from www.apple.com/itunes and downloading the iTunes software as a trial I get a transfer rate of 720 Kbps (whiuch roughly translates into 5.76 Megs).:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i don't find speed test sites to be very reliable at all. the best test i think is downloading a large file from an irish server, and leaving it about 30seconds to see what the average transfer rate is

try this and leave it a little while and then it should give you a much better idea of what it is:
    ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/debian-cd/3.1_r0a/source/iso-cd/debian-31r0a-source-3.iso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

What does www.speedtest.ie tell you?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Downloading a large file from the likes of heanet is the only way to go to be honest, never found speed test sites to be reliable at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'd say with a 6meg line that you might want to do 2 or 3 ISO's to get a fully accurate estimation of speed. I quite often don't get full speed on a single file from heanet n my 3meg line with just a single file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ChilliNuts

Um, so pardon the dumb question but I just started downloading that hea file over ftp and I'm getting a pretty constant 650 KB/sec... that suggests I'm getting the full 6Mb speed I'm paying for with NTL, right?

ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

cool, i guess it's all good then. guess i caught them on a bad day or something. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What does www.speedtest.ie tell you?

It tells me that it is useless. Both irishisptest and smart speed test tell me I'm getting 5.92.

5.92Mbps on a 6Mbps line? How is that useless or am I missing something :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Forgot to mention the crucial bit. speedtest.ie tells me it is only 3.14 hence speedtest.ie is useless.

It's all a matter of perspective. From the speedtest.ie server, you are getting 3.14Mbps. If you try at different times you will get different numbers.

The issue isnt with the tests, its the connection. Your 6Mbps is not a direct link, it's a contended internet conection. Other users on the line and NTL's uplinks will impact your performance.

Those speeds are pretty good and more than acceptable for the service you are buying imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

720 is bang on anyway

a 6 meg line is 6 megabits not megabytes which is 725 kilobytes per second

Advertisement